CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale
Glad your back from being a lurker Shane!! Welcome back buddy Misngth Misngth

Looking forward to seeing some more progress on your layout Cheers
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
cnw1961 Wrote:That float bridge would look fantastic on your layout. I’ve been searching HABS/HAER for "float bride", though I could not find any plans, here are some pictures that might interest you (if you don’t know them already): <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?collId=hhphoto&fileName=nj/nj1600/nj1606/photos/browse.db&action=browse&recNum=0&title2=Greenville%20Yard,%20Transfer%20Bridge%20System,%20Port%20of%20New%20York%2fNew%20Jersey,%20Upper%20New%20York%20Bay,%20Jersey%20City,%20Hudson%20County,%20NJ&displayType=1&itemLink=D?hh:3:./temp/~ammem_LGnX">http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?co ... ammem_LGnX</a><!-- m -->:

In addition I found some plans and pics that might help you to build your pier: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?collId=hhphoto&fileName=ny/ny1500/ny1595/photos/browse.db&action=browse&recNum=0&title2=South%20Brooklyn%20Freight%20Terminal,%2029th%20Street%20Pier,%20Opposite%20end%20of%20Twenty-ninth%20Street%20on%20upper%20New%20Y,%20Brooklyn,%20Kings%20County,%20NY&displayType=1&itemLink=D?hh:8:./temp/~ammem_Jl7e:">http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?co ... mmem_Jl7e:</a><!-- m -->:

Did you find this site on floatbridge operations: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://members.trainweb.com/bedt/indloco/Floatbridge.html">http://members.trainweb.com/bedt/indloc ... ridge.html</a><!-- m -->. I found it on this site with lots of information about the New York terminal railroads: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://members.trainweb.com/bedt/IndustrialLocos.html">http://members.trainweb.com/bedt/IndustrialLocos.html</a><!-- m -->

See, now why is it I cannot find some of this stuff myself? Icon_lol Thanks Kurt...AGAIN! Icon_lol

Thanks for welcome back Josh. Hoping to get rolling on a few things soon. I want to get some track down and get my stuff outta storage. Misngth
tetters,you have been sorely missed! Glad you are back!

Now.............

Make with some progress pics! Misngth Wink
Steve
Thanks for the encouragement guys. On the table for this round is the following.

I have to rebuild some of my Code 83 turnouts from the previous layout.

I need to build some new turnouts in Code 70 Rail in order to use the Cd 70 flex track I purchased sometime ago that I plan to use for the Yard Ladder and Industry Sidings.

The turnouts will be all PC Board construction. Lots of soldering and filing ahead once again. The PC Board construction will make for bullet proof turnouts.

I have to build my dock area, half of the yard track work will be sitting on top of the dock in the harbour area. I need to construct this as I go in order to lay down track in that particular area. Plus then there is the apron and the transfer bridge for the car float. This project (done in three stages) is going to use a ton of stripwood in its construction. It will also let me hand lay some track at the same time which I must admit, I am looking foward to.

I also picked up some electronic tidbits. I purchased two NCE Switch8 decoders which will operate all of my tortoise switch machines. I picked up these nifty little polarity switch boards called Hex Frog Juicers. They are like a reversing card on steriods and can switch the polarity of the frogs on my turnouts in like micro seconds. They were not cheap, however I love stuff like that. They will also eliminate the need to use the internal switches on the Torts. Two wires from the DCC Bus and one wire from each frog to the HFJ and done. Each HFJ will power 6 turnouts.

I also started to play around with the software from Decoder Pro and Panel Pro this summer and decided to pick up the NCE USB Interface for programming and computer control of the layout. I would like to see if I can eliminate the toggle switches on the front of the layout. I'm shooting for a nice clean facia this time around. The only thing any one will see on the front of the layout will be the sockets for the cabs. There will be two of those. I need to add a second in order to accomodate the extra bit of length now at the other end and will not be able to walk around the layout unless I add one.

I promise, when I post up in the next little while, I will have some pictures for you guys to view. I just have a lot of work to do first.

Peace!
tetters, here's another site that you might want to look at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.nyhrr.com">http://www.nyhrr.com</a><!-- m --> He has a section on building a Howe truss floatbridge.

Bruce
Hay Oh!

Thanks for the link Bruce! I had not come across that site in my Internet searches as of yet.

I spent a few hours working on re-furbishing my double x-over this weekend. Like I said in a previous post I planned on using PC Board Ties throughout my hand built track work. So I started with it. I figured it would give me a good snap shot as to what I might be in for. One thing hasn't changed, this thing is still a beast to work on. I'm happy to report that the operation went well. I tested the the trackwork for shorts using my VOM meter, thanks to Don (ezdays) for posting up his tutorial and for helping figure out how to use mine. Now I can test for shorts, before installing the trackwork on the layout! Thumbsup

I took a few pictures. I also used some strip styrene to fill in some gaps where I used a Dremel cut off disk. I had some expansion problems with the old track work and in my haste I used the Dremel to "correct" some shorts curcuits. I simply inserted the styrene in the gaps, used some CA to glue it in place and then filed the styrene to match the profile of the rail. I'm pretty sure that once painted and weathered the gap "fillers" will be well hidden.

I want to get the yard ladder and a couple more tunrouts along with the respective track work installed in the next couple of weeks. Then I can test some of my electronic tidbits to see how that set up will work...so exciting!!! Big Grin

[Image: DSC03138.jpg?t=1251041371]

It's been a while since my workbench has seen this kind of activity.

[Image: DSC03140.jpg]

[Image: DSC03141.jpg]
Tetters, that’s an overwhelmingly fantabulous piece of track Worship Worship Worship . Do you plan to use it on your layout somewhere?
Kurt
cnw1961 Wrote:Tetters, that’s an overwhelmingly fantabulous piece of track Worship Worship Worship . Do you plan to use it on your layout somewhere?

I do! I found a place where I can incorporate it into the plan. It will actually be near the corner of the layout (or middle) so I'll be able to drive a short train completely through it instead of using it at the end of a glorified run-around track like in the previous layout. It is going fit in the spot nicely.

Thanks for the kudos man!
One more before bedtime. Left Hand # 6 Curved T.O. 31 Outer, 21 Inner radi. I think... Misngth

[Image: DSC03145.jpg]

Almost missed some gaps above the frog on this one. I'm sure glad I learned how to use that VOM meter. :oops:

I have three Right Hand # 5's on deck, two are in this photo. I'll try and bang them off, one each night so that come the weekend, I will try and assemble the yard ladder and perhaps get some track down. Maybe get a loco running too.

Feels good to be finally getting somewhere. Smile
That's some beautiful looking trackwork you have produced tetters. Worship
Those photos show some really clean and crisp workmanship. Well done.
Looking foreward to the rest of the journey.

Jack 219
LIFE....
..... Abandon the search for truth
Look for a good fantasy
Cheers Cheers .....some mouth-watering trackwork.....Wish I had the patience/skill for that sort a' thing... Thumbsup
Gus (LC&P).
More on my decent into madness. I decided that I wanted to construct the yard ladder as one single piece of track work. Knowing I wanted two inch track centers was the easy part. Getting it straight and true while keeping it all in gauge would be the tricky and time consuming part. I also thought it would be smart and economical to use the three turnouts I planned to use. It saved me a ton of work as the skeletons for them were already made, I'd just modify them slightly to work with my idea.

So this is where it all began. I used a piece of masonite board as my work area and glued some track templates on to it. I marked the lines every two inches apart and basically lined up the centers of each turnout. Thus a jig is born. In this picture you can see the curved # 6 at the top of the ladder.

[Image: DSC03146.jpg]

Then I removed the left stock rail off of each turnout. I used one large piece of 3' rail as the stock rail which would run from the top of the ladder all the way to the bottom. One of the critical elements was to make sure I carefully lined up and filed out the bottom of rail inside the stock rail in order to allow the point rail of each turnout to fit snug againts it. Once I marked the location of these areas that little job was done with my trusty bench top belt sander.

[Image: DSC03147.jpg]

[Image: DSC03148.jpg]

[Image: DSC03149.jpg]

[Image: DSC03150.jpg]

So this is as far as I've made it in two nights. Will remove the excess tie length at some point. A good way to do it is chop most of it off with some rail cutters and use the belt sander to quickly and easily move down the line. I also have to remember to leave the throwbar ties longer. I don't want to accidentally cut them off.

I figure, I'm not going to push myself too hard on this. I am really shooting for some pretty solid track work here.

EDIT - I couldn't just leave the those ties so I trimmed them down...last one tonight, promise.

[Image: DSC03152.jpg]
Super work..!!!! Worship
Gus (LC&P).
Thanks! I never know when to quit. I went ahead and tacked the third turnout on.

[Image: DSC03153.jpg]

O.K. That's it, I'm going to bed. G'night folks! Misngth
Quote:I never know when to quit. I went ahead and tacked the third turnout on.

I know that phenomenon all too well ... sometimes it is hard to stop Misngth . I tell you, if I am watching you doing this for much longer, then I will have to hand-lay the turnouts for my next layout too, though not sure if the results would be as good as yours ... Worship
Kurt