Freelance 2011
faraway Wrote:
jonte Wrote:...What is the material used in the construction of the corrugated structure in the centre of the 3rd picture down?...

Jonte, I don't know what material makes the brown front on the old photo but it looks like they are using corrugated steal this time. There is a nice low profile industry in 24thstreet. A part of the building is plated with corrugated steal. It is half (lousy) painted and half total rusted.

[Image: angelusmill.jpg?t=1301184077]

Gosh, I'm drooling already, Reinhard........anybody know how to replicate rust? 357

Many thanks,

Jonte
jonte Wrote:...anybody know how to replicate rust? 357 ...

I did do that complex in a freelance manner. The sides are exchanged. My right most (brown) building is the one on the photo. I did use two different rust brown powders and little water on a brush (I did not model the lower lousy painted part of the building).

[Image: Img_0564.jpg?t=1301186572]
Reinhard
faraway Wrote:
jonte Wrote:...anybody know how to replicate rust? 357 ...

I did do that complex in a freelance manner. The sides are exchanged. My right most (brown) building is the one on the photo. I did use two different rust brown powders and little water on a brush (I did not model the lower lousy painted part of the building).

[Image: Img_0564.jpg?t=1301186572]

Thanks for posting, Reinhard, and for the advice re the rust process; now I have a starting point Thumbsup

No need for any advice re the painting - I'm an expert on lousy painting :cry:

It's interesting to note that you've still managed to capture the character of the original although it's obviously only in half relief, which is what I'll have to contend with due to restrictions on 'real estate' Wink

Still, it demonstrates that it can be done.

Jonte
faraway Wrote:Is my understanding correct that UP did not play an active role in serving single industries in that area in 1980? That was SP and ATSF county and UP did only serve the LA basin with long distance trains from the east but had no local network.

Thanks for posting the pic, Reinhard. I originally tried to post about 4 or 5 pics, but I just could not seem to figure out how to get a street view screen shot posted from Bing or Google maps. I don't have a Photo Bucket or similar account. If you go South on Soto to the West side of the plant the mural is of a farm with "Farmer John" in a field with a bunch of pigs running around.

I'm not sure about the U.P. I never liked U.P. I think that armour yellow is about the ugliest color ever put on anything. Their actions since the mergers and copyright issues with regard to model railroads, have made my dislike intensify. I think all three of the major railroads in Los Angeles preferred to use LAJ to do their switching for them in the area that LAJ served. HIstorically U.P. was the last of the major railroads to enter the Southern California market. S.P. had the Coast Lines (route of the Daylight) and the Valley lines running down the center of California's Central Valley. They entered Los Angeles from the coast on a right of way that roughly paralleled highway 101, and the valley lines entered L.A. from Tehachapi through Diablo Canyon just East of where Interstate 5 goes over the "ridge route" through Gorman to Bakersfield. Their Southern route enters the L.A. area from the Imperial Valley over Whitewater Pass through San Timateo Canyon. The Santa Fe built over Cajon Pass, and had to fight the S.P. to get into the the L.A. area from San Bernardino. The U.P. never built any right of way over any of the passes into Los Angeles. They built a line through the desert from Las Vegas to Yermal just outside of Barstow, and then negotiated trackage rights from the Santa Fe to use Cajon Pass. The U.P. had a large yard across Washington Blvd from Santa Fe's Hobart Yard. The U.P. main roughly parallels the S.P. main from San Bernardino through Pomona, and then turns South in Pomona to run through the city of Industry to the Washington Street Yard. Going out of the Wahsington Street yard they cross the diamond at Hobart Tower and go South along Downey Road. The U.P. had a few customers in East L.A., most of the business in L.A. was divided between Santa Fe and S.P. I think the U.P.'s major customer base was around South Gate, Cudahy, Maywood, and Bell and then continued south to the Harbor area. I don't remember seeing a lot of U.P. activity outside of those areas until after the takeover of the S.P.

Regarding the use of small switchers, the U.P. and S.P. liked to use the various Sw units for local switching. The U.P. even rebuilt some switchers using the end of a Gp7 or 9 long hood grafted to the front of the Sw. Santa Fe had a fleet of Sw units in the early days of the steam to diesel transition, but after the did the Cf7 rebuild program, they started replacing the Sw's as they started wearing out with the Cf7 units and chop nosed Gp7's & 9's. Eventually the Cf7's were replaced with Gp20's (turbo chargers removed), Gp30's (had been rebuilt to Gp35 specs), & Gp 35's. Since about 1980 or so, the only Cf7's left in service after that time were the 4 units used by the LAJ. Since the advent of the newest big Ge and EMD Sd power, the Gp39-2's, Gp 40x's and Gp50's and 60's have been moved into local service. The latest thing they have been doing is putting refurbished cabs on the Gp60b units for local switching, and also buying Gensets, I think because of government incentives to reduce smog. I think the attitude of the S.F. was that it was cheaper to repurpose obsolete, lower powered, road locomotives for local switching duties than it was to buy new Sw or Mp units.
Russ Bellinis Wrote:...I'm not sure about the U.P....

Russ, thank you for the broad history how the class 1 RR did enter the LA area.

Russ Bellinis Wrote:...Regarding the use of small switchers,...

I am glad I did understand it correct. So my SP choice is the best one if the target is a small switcher in 1980. The SP SW1500 has a nice Athearn model with a good smooth drive and I like it. A perfect match for a small layout with short tracks.

ps. I did cheat with the photo. It is grabbed by CNTL-Print and paste into a graphics program.
Reinhard
[quote="Russ Bellinis

..... but I just could not seem to figure out how to get a street view screen shot posted from ....... Google maps.......[/quote]

Russ, here's how to do it........

Display street view picture you want to download.

Press 'Print Screen'.

Go to Irfanview (need to download it - it's free!) <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.irfanview.com/">http://www.irfanview.com/</a><!-- m -->

Select paste option (I think it's the clipboard but if you run your cursor along the icons it'll highlight it.

Then (I think it's the 'File' option) top left.

Save as...

Then save to your Desktop or wherever it is you want to store it.

Then post onto forum as you would a photo.

Hope this helps,

Jonte Smile
A parcel arrived Thumbsup

[Image: Img_0613.jpg?t=1301497504]
Reinhard
faraway Wrote:A parcel arrived Thumbsup

[Image: Img_0613.jpg?t=1301497504]

Yowser, Reinhard, what make are they - they look fabulous Thumbsup

As you're off scuba diving for the foreseeable future, may I take care of them in your absence - can't promise I won't meddle with them though Big Grin

Jonte
jonte Wrote:Yowser, Reinhard, what make are they - they look fabulous Thumbsup
As you're off scuba diving for the foreseeable future, may I take care of them in your absence - can't promise I won't meddle with them though Big Grin
Jonte
Jonte, it is all Atlas tracks and Atlas #6 turnouts. The switch motors are the standard Tortoise ones and some Kadee uncouplers to be mounted under the track.
We are going next Monday to Egypt. Will be back two weeks later and I will start the new south yard. You could dismantle and cleanup the old stuff while I visit the fishes Wink
Reinhard
The new planned south yard will be very simple structured. I need "something" to build transfer trains serving the north yard (harbor). That is the reason for the small 3 track yard. The pass through track and a siding with a possibility to get the engines on the other side complete the yard. The industry will be in the background and all served from one side.
My goals are
- relative long tracks within the given space to enable modern long switchers as far as possible (e.g. two Genset as worst case)
- no switching game, follow modern prototype rules for fast and easy switching
- separation of industry and a (micro) classification yard
- the individual industry spurs will be added as the buildings are added to the layout.
- tight curves/small radius are no problem because it is all some industry spur only. No fast trains are passing through.

My concern: six parallel tracks might look pretty boring... we will see :o

The overall length is 4 m / 13' and a wide of 0,60 m / 2'. The length must also include a 90° curve at each end. I have some curve turnouts. May be I use them to gain some length.

This is a schema only to illustrate the functional components and their relative position. Not a real track plan. I will do that with real turnouts and tracks on the cleaned up layout.
[Image: southyard01.jpg?t=1301529282]
Reinhard
faraway Wrote:... We are going next Monday to Egypt. Will be back two weeks later and I will start the new south yard. You could dismantle and cleanup the old stuff while I visit the fishes Wink

Good Grief!
EGYPT?!!!

Is this really a good time to go there?
Will we be hearing from you ever again?
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
P5se Camelback Wrote:...Will we be hearing from you ever again...
Yes, either here or on CNN Goldth
Reinhard
Reinhard,

Didn't know you were into diving. Ditto.

Larry
The restructuring of the old south yard has been begun this morning.

I did decide not to blank the entire south yard and build it new from scratch but to restructure it in smaller incremental steps. That single steps could be completed in smaller time units and the overall operation is not on hold for the entire summer 2011.

First step is the dismantling of a double connection of the old main tracks. They are replaced by straight tracks forming an industry spur serving all the industries in the background and the main track (the SW1500 is sitting on it) of the new south yard in the foreground.

All kind of scenery work (incl. ballasting) is postponed until the trackwork of all steps is completed.

[Image: Img_0618.jpg?t=1303460647]

[Image: Img_0621.jpg?t=1303460647]

[Image: Img_0622.jpg?t=1303464214]

ps. Scuba diving vacation at the Red Sea in Egypt was without any trouble. Nothing, absolute nothing, of the political problems are visible at the airport or any tourist location.
Reinhard
Next step are three new classification stub tracks of the south yard. I plan to use a PECO three way turnouts the very first time. The PECO three way turnout has three frogs/isolated areas that need to be powered. We will see what the electrons will do when they notice their new home (http://www.loystoys.com/peco/about-3-way-turnouts.html Wink

[Image: Img_0623.jpg?t=1303468119]

[Image: Img_0624.jpg?t=1303481434]

and finally the grand opening Big Grin
[Image: Img_0625.jpg?t=1303497058]
Reinhard