Krispy kreme, effingham, il
Shots of Krispy Kreme
front

Back

side

shed

tanks

Effingham used to be home for me and alas I never took photos because I would the efrr all of the time...boy do I kick myself now
Great pictures. This would be an interesting industry to model and an entire little railroad that you could build fairly reliably in even a small space.

I presume car loads of flour in the covered hoppers? What was/is unloaded in the other rail door? More covered hoppers or tank cars? I was thinking perhaps tank cars with cooking oil, but was wondering about whether they also got cars of sugar or even tank cars of corn syrup in?

Thanks for sharing the pics. I agree that we all overlook the things that are right outside our door because we think they will always be there!

Geno
crossroads Wrote:... alas I never took photos because I would the efrr all of the time...boy do I kick myself now
Know that feeling all too well. I kick myself every day now, because I didn't take a camera with me on light days when I worked for the F&C - L&N and some other roads. Now there are no photos that I can find of some of the facilities that we switched!

Be that as it may, thanks for posting the photos of Krispy Kreme! It was/is an interesting facility.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
Now, since I like Krispy Kreme donuts I may have to add a bakery to Slate Creek.If I decide to do this it may have to go on the front edge or along the backdrop but,I already have a Pillsbury mixing plant.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Make sure you eat your effing ham.
Hi crossroads;

Thanks for posting these extra photos of Krispy Kreme at Effingham.

I live about 10,000 miles away in Melbourne so I cant exactly jump in the van and go and take some photos, but I have amassed quite a collection which can be viewed via rrpicturesarchive.com.

I am in the process of modelling the EFRR in HO scale and will naturally be including the Krispy Kreme plant. Afterall how many railroads serve a donut plant, let alone are shortlines.

Question open to all; Can anyone read the bottom line of the EFRR No Trespass sign?

I have tried zooming in but unfortunately I cannot then adjust the focus to be able to read the line.

Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More
Mr Fixit Wrote:Question open to all; Can anyone read the bottom line of the EFRR No Trespass sign?
Mark
Pretty sure it reads: "Violators Will Be Prosecuted" as I recall from my trips by there.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
As far as ingredients are concerned I have figured out the following;

Flour, Sugar, Yeast, Salt,

The plant not only manufactured and bagged the donut mix in 50 pound bags, but also acted as a commissary for the stores it was responsible for, so the out going trucks were loaded with donut mix and drums of donut filing, donut icing, donut glaze, coffee, coffee cups, donut boxes, napkins and anything else a store might need.

Production at its peak reached 2 Million 50 pound bags per year, out of a total K.K. production figure of 6 million 50 pound bags. Apparently they were spitting out filled bags at the rate of one every 3 seconds. The plant was running 3 shifts and operating 24/7.

By searching the web I actually managed to find some photos from inside the warehouse and it shows pallets loaded with six bags per layer by ten layers high for a total of 3000 pounds of donut mix per pallet and they were stacked at least 5 high.

A mind boggling operation to say the least.

Mark
Brakie Wrote:Now, since I like Krispy Kreme donuts I may have to add a bakery to Slate Creek.If I decide to do this it may have to go on the front edge or along the backdrop but,I already have a Pillsbury mixing plant.

So how are you going to make all those little donuts and fry/bake them? Goldth You'll have to add the chocolate glazing with an eye dropper. 357
Marc

Bar Extension - 5' x 2.5' N-scale layout plus two decks of shelf layout
By my reckoning the donuts will be;

In HO scale about 1mm square by the thickness of a piece of paper.

In N scale about 0,5 mm square by the thickness of a piece of tissue paper.

So for most people they will be more easily confused with specks of dust.

Hence the reason for me buying a home mini donut maker to go for the aroma of donuts.

As for the Chocolate coating, well its that thin in full scale, it will be almost invisible in either scale.

Mark
Just for everyones information.

The field [we call 'em paddocks 'down under'] to the left of the front view of the plant can I believe be seen in some photos and possibly in Google street view as a field of corn. Or should I write that as a corn field?

Now that gives us an excuse to model those corn fields like Cody Grivno has in Model Railroader, well at least a thin strip of the corn field when modelling on a shelf.

If anyone else has photos of the Krispy Kreme plant or of any parts of the various businesses located on the Effingham Railroad could they please post them or PM them to me. As we all know, you can never have too many photos of the subjects being modelled.

Case in point. If you zoom in on the photo of the tanks you will notice that the tank [silo actually] next to the main building is already showing signs of rust staining after only two years as the photos were shot in 2004 according to the photo info.

Now if you had only seen a broad front view of the plant you may well have missed that key weathering tip.

For those that have lived in Effingham or visited, I would be interested to hear you thoughts about the town.

Mark
Mr Fixit Wrote:Just for everyones information.

The field [we call 'em paddocks 'down under'] to the left of the front view of the plant can I believe be seen in some photos and possibly in Google street view as a field of corn. Or should I write that as a corn field?
Mark

At the end of stevens ave where it meets raney there is actually a farmer with cows so you can include that too.
As for the town its went up and down quite abit, lost alot of industry. I actually remember when EFRR came on the scene I had moved but as a railfan it became #1 priority over seeing grandma when I came back. I had planned on modeling the efrr. It would have been fairly easy; a rock pit (walthers kit), passing side for interchange, for Krispy Kreme I was going to represent using just the tanks and the shed(the shed is a dead ringer for a pikestuff kit), and then end of the line the TQW warehouse(pikestuff again). With that said it has grown alot to the south but I'll be honest I havent had that much time to get down there and check it out.
Colorpress was a major printer and employer across from the EF on the IC they went out of business and TQW took over the building, decently large operation with a spur off the IC.
If you have any questions let me know, I should be able to answer somethings or any requests for pictures or such I'm do for a visit down there around easter.
Hi crossroads

Thanks for the extra information. You might want to change the bit about Grandma to read; seeing the EFRR came second only to seeing Grandma. Nobody but nobody comes before your Grandma. Period. Not negotiable, etc.

The EFRR have rules regarding being on the property as per the No Trespassing Sign, however if you let them know you are coming and are prepared to sign a liability wavier then you should be able to take plenty of photos in peace and just maybe get some indoor shots of TQW's rail served warehouse. I am not sure just what hours they will be open during Easter, but contact them via the contacts listed on their website. They are fairly friendly, its just that they got pissed off with photo buffs posing as members of the railroad and annoying their client businesses. If you Google EFRR you will find the thread from Operations as to why they introduced the policy.

Mark
As a food microbiolgist for a Sara Lee production facility in Michigan, I would suspect that corn syrup tanks would be inside the plant since it has to be kept near 100F so it will flow. All our bulk tanks are situated inside the production facility with the exception of the 90' granulated sugar silo. While we have a rail spur at the back of the plant, we use only trucks for delivery of all bulk materials. For corn syrup and flour, the tankers hook up to piping inside the plant fence line and pump to the inside tanks.

Larry
Mr Fixit Wrote:By my reckoning the donuts will be;

In HO scale about 1mm square by the thickness of a piece of paper.

In N scale about 0,5 mm square by the thickness of a piece of tissue paper.

So for most people they will be more easily confused with specks of dust.

Hence the reason for me buying a home mini donut maker to go for the aroma of donuts.

As for the Chocolate coating, well its that thin in full scale, it will be almost invisible in either scale.

Mark

There is someone doing brass etchings - he does HO scale donuts too!