SSWUP ISL - Build
Just looking at the photos your layout has a nice feel to it already. Thumbsup
tetters Wrote:Just looking at the photos your layout has a nice feel to it already. Thumbsup

I agree completely! Thumbsup
This is going to be a good one Wink Thumbsup
Steve
Thanks for all the comments guys... Had a chance to mock up a part of Inland Container (<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qnp0c98jws19&lvl=17.877009438296742&dir=6.273078174692484&sty=u&sp=Point.qnp0f98jws58_Inland%20Container____&where1=Biglerville%2C%20PA&q=biglerville">http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qnp0c9 ... iglerville</a><!-- m -->)

A little action at Transload...

Looking good and I am sure you enjoy it very much Big Grin
Reinhard
Those vehicles, forklifts, people and bulkhead flatcars look great. What brands are they?

Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More
Hi Mark, The figures are Prieser, the trucks are Boley and the cars are a mix but mostly Model Power. The forklift is a Wiking and the Bulkheads are Walthers Goldline 50ft Canadians... Trying to collect the best detailed models but it is hard as most of the stuff I need I choose off the net...

Did some more work on Inland Container... First the main building:

The tank offload facility at Inland too...its rather an inconspicuous building, almost like a site office!

I have tried to get the best feel of the prototype of Inland Container so I extended the Lower Docks raised level platforn till it met the main building... If you look at the real facility <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qnp0c98jws19&lvl=17.877009438296742&dir=6.273078174692484&sty=u&sp=Point.qnp0f98jws58_Inland%20Container____&where1=Biglerville%2C%20PA&q=biglerville">http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qnp0c9 ... iglerville</a><!-- m --> you will notice, if you look closely, that a large part of the facility where the trucks load is a above the track level... Follow it from the lower dock all around and you will see what I mean... I think this brings the connectivity of the plant together and works better...

Your opinions will be appreciated...

Thanks for the info Callum.

Your layout is really starting to take shape even with just the mock ups in place.

Im a bit worried that the nice and shinney dog trailer tanker is short at least one or two axles given its size. A tanker that size here in Australia would probably have a tandem axle 5th wheel unit and definitely tandem rear axles.
Liquids are heavy afterall. Mind you a lot of stuff is transported using B Double units as opposed to truck and dog trailer, except for dirt and aggregates, those guys still like their dog trailers. We do have some B Tripple units here in Victoria, but until recently they were limited to the Ford trucks running between the Geelong plants and the main plant at Broadmeadows in the Northern suburbs of Melbourne.

I just wonder what they used for a prototype model?

Mark
Mr Fixit Wrote:I just wonder what they used for a prototype model?

Mark

Wink Here is it is:http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/tr...railer.jpg
Justin Miller
Modeling the Lebanon Industrial Railway (LIRY)
I wonder about the name "Inland container" of the prototype. I do not see any containers but they are heavy boxcar users instead of container crane, cars, trucks etc.
Reinhard
Reinhard;

Inland Container Corp - now Temple-Inland produces packaging container products (cardboard, plastic, etc.) hence the name. Though many such companies have been merged into others in the past few years, here are a few more names: Consolidated Container, Chesapeake Container (Chesapeake Corp), Container Corporation of America (CCA). Has nothing to do with intermodal containers, although I'm sure that intermodal containers are a part of their finished product shipping these days.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
FCIN Wrote:... packaging container products (cardboard, plastic, etc.) hence the name.....
Thank you for the explanation

It was my fault to take the word "container" as a term. The term is used in Germany for intermodal. However the English word "container" translates to German "Behaelter" and makes perfect sense. Sorry for confusion...
Reinhard
FCIN Wrote:Reinhard;

Inland Container Corp - now Temple-Inland produces packaging container products (cardboard, plastic, etc.) hence the name. Though many such companies have been merged into others in the past few years, here are a few more names: Consolidated Container, Chesapeake Container (Chesapeake Corp), Container Corporation of America (CCA). Has nothing to do with intermodal containers, although I'm sure that intermodal containers are a part of their finished product shipping these days.

I thought it might be something like that. Another term they like to use in that industry is closures. Nope

As for Callum's question about the height of the concrete hardstanding beside the rail spur, it does not appear to me to be set at railcar floor height, but it is a bit hard to determine. I also tried looking at the site using Google Earth maps, which offers more ways to examine the location that either Bing or Google Maps single photos.

It will need more investigation.
Mark
Mr Fixit Wrote:As for Callum's question about the height of the concrete hardstanding beside the rail spur, it does not appear to me to be set at railcar floor height
Mark
The height of the dock doesn't have to be exactly in line with the car floor. They would have to place metal ramp plates between the dock and the car for fork lifts to move across. Very common at all the industries I've seen working on the prototype. You also have slight variance in the height of the car floors due to some cars having larger wheel diameter. Cars with capacities over 70 tons have 36 inch wheels - whereas 33 inch are standard on 70 ton and less capacity.

So Callum need not be that concerned about the height of the dock. Close is good enough.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
Thanks for all the comments guys...

Yes, the dock height is at box car floor height but I may lower it a fracion as I have found that they are on average just below rather than just above floor level...

I am having issues deciding what industry to place on the Eastern corner of the layout where the double tracks run. Been chatting to Ed and the Bloomer Chocolate plant in Union City ( <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bing.com/maps/Default.aspx?encType=1&v=2&ss=ypid.YN118x2188408&style=r&mkt=en-us&FORM=LLDP">http://www.bing.com/maps/Default.aspx?e ... &FORM=LLDP</a><!-- m --> ) came to mind but I can only spot 3 cars on each track at the most with the road there, and yeas I have to have a road there!! I would like some suggestions... Bloomer in IL is a nice bulding and spots only 2 cars but that building may look out of place next to the Inland Container plant which is more typical of an Industrial Park style building as apposed to a City Industry...