SSWUP ISL - Build

Found a easy way of marking styrene or cardstock for a paved area around a loading facility. I always see guys battling to get the exact curve and straight line of the track onto the board which leaves gaps between the rails and the "surface" which is un-prototypical... So here is how I did it:

First cut a large sheet as large as the overall area to be paved... then mark the top of the rails with a highlighting marker which takes a while to dry:

Then Carefully place the sheet over the rails so as the align all the edges as required, do not move the card or place it down incorrectly as you will have a few sets of lines and not be able to see the correct one to cut:

Cut the card on the outes edges on the lines on the card and use a straight edge where you can... You will be left with a middle section larger than needed but if you place it down and overlap a side piece of card that is the correct profile you will have a great template to make sure the curves are all exactly the same... I cut mine down to 15mm and you be the judge:

The finished result:

On your link to the Bing site for Blommer Chocolate - Go to maximum zoom in Birdseye, focus in on the 8 vertical tanks by the hopper cars and rotate the view by 180 degrees - there is an Ottawa yard tractor (one of the offset cab units) sitting on the rail side(it is also there if you use the right -hand arrow and turn another 90 degrees) obviously used to move the trailers around for loading - not very often seen in a private yard (model is made by Athearn - see ( <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.athearn.com/Products/TechnicalSpecs.aspx?ProdID=ATH29417">http://www.athearn.com/Products/Technic ... D=ATH29417</a><!-- m -->) Handy as I have two, and it shows there is a prototype for everything!
SSWUPinSA Wrote:... I cut mine down to 15mm...

You got yourself a job! When do you plan to stay in Germany next time Wink Plan for 15 minutes at the north rim of the Black Forrest Welcome
Reinhard
Thanks Reinhard!! Will you cover my flight?? Thumbsup

I was looking through my old Industries I identified when I started all of this and came acroos one of my old favourites... Grace & Co. in Pheonix AZ. It has a very short spur and is only as long as 3 cars... In this view <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bing.com/maps/Default.aspx?encType=1&v=2&ss=ypid.YN63x470650&style=r&FORM=LLDP">http://www.bing.com/maps/Default.aspx?e ... &FORM=LLDP</a><!-- m --> I can see one tank and one hopper... Now to find out if it is a pressurised hopper or Gravity type, whats in the hoppers and whats in the tanks???? Anyone know or feel like calling them... (602) 272-6663 Icon_lol
Maybe set it up mirrored like this....

Callum;

Outstanding job on making the roadway and pavement areas! Will have to keep that in mind for the future!

Layout shaping up nicely!
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
Mr Fixit Wrote:Thanks for the info Callum.
Im a bit worried that the nice and shinney dog trailer tanker is short at least one or two axles given its size. A tanker that size here in Australia would probably have a tandem axle 5th wheel unit and definitely tandem rear axles.
Liquids are heavy afterall. Mind you a lot of stuff is transported using B Double units as opposed to truck and dog trailer, except for dirt and aggregates, those guys still like their dog trailers. We do have some B Tripple units here in Victoria, but until recently they were limited to the Ford trucks running between the Geelong plants and the main plant at Broadmeadows in the Northern suburbs of Melbourne.

I just wonder what they used for a prototype model?

Mark

That prototype is common throughout the U.S. I think he is modeling Southern Cal, and have never ever seen a tandem axle 5th wheel "dolly" in use in California, except on some of the heavy equipment, over sized load, flat bed trucks used for special movements. The tanker trailer is probably 18-20 feet long, not counting the tongue if I remember correctly, and the truck is probably 30-35 feet long from front bumper to the hitch. The maximum gross combination weight allowed on California roads without special permits is 80,0000 lbs. Some states in the northern part of the country, and Canada have different weight standards in the spring months that require extra axles to spread out the weight and reduce individual axle weights when the ground is soft, but California and the southwest don't have such restrictions, since we don't have a winter freeze or a spring thaw except in the higher elevations.
Thanks for the approval Ed! Goldth

Russ.... I guess they make them stronger in the STATES...lol... Isn't there a saying that says EVERYTHINg is BIGGER in TEXAS??

I found a small opperational issue on the layout... Seems the 2 road crossings are too close together and it becomes an issue switching and having to block the road on the West side every move!!! So I changed it a little and have a feature that I always liked...a road running parallel to the tracks with a curved crossing into an industrial area... like this...:

SSWUPinSA Wrote:Thanks for the approval Ed! Goldth

Russ.... I guess they make them stronger in the STATES...lol... Isn't there a saying that says EVERYTHINg is BIGGER in TEXAS??

I found a small opperational issue on the layout... Seems the 2 road crossings are too close together and it becomes an issue switching and having to block the road on the West side every move!!! So I changed it a little and have a feature that I always liked...a road running parallel to the tracks with a curved crossing into an industrial area... like this...:

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

I have always liked the idea of a road running parallel to a track also. I have done this with my Miami layout (although it looks like Phoenix since I have next to no scenery and foliage in place).

[Image: IMG_0005-2.jpg]

Larry
fast car Wrote:I have always liked the idea of a road running parallel to a track also. I have done this with my Miami layout (although it looks like Phoenix since I have next to no scenery and foliage in place).
[Image: IMG_0005-2.jpg]
Larry
Larry;

Love the way that scene looks! I too like the idea of having a road running parallel to the track, at least as some point and hope I can work something like that in to my plan as things progress. Very nice scene!

And Callum. That looks like a nice placement for that road too. You'll find lots of places on the prototypes where an industrial spur would branch off the "main line" and immediately cross a street or highway. Can point to you several such locations that I'm aware of.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
Thanks Larry, that layouit looks great, do you have a thread with more info and pics???
Larry,

I liked the pot hole repairs to the road surface, it just adds that 'not so perfect world' feel to the scene.

Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More
I agree Mark! There really are some good "modelers" out there...or in here should I say!!

Posted a video of my GP40-2 running on the layout...NOT very professional but it is my first one and there is no scenery so it may be boring to everyone else but me... Trying to get a realistic spped in switching, looks fairly good, wish I could get all my locos opperating so smoothly as these ATLAS Gold Series one!! Need to do some decoder mapping on my Kato SD 38!!

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/user/caltrigger75?feature=mhsn">http://www.youtube.com/user/caltrigger75?feature=mhsn</a><!-- m -->