A One Industry Railroad Operation
Sumter, my original layout plan was to build a ship yard. I was a big fan of the Quincy Bay Terminal Railroad. Ship yards have such great possibilities. I like the idea of a working narrow guage museum supporting a ship museum.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
The Lindberg " Bobtail Cruiser " kit, is very close to N scale. here's USS Carronade IFS-1, the only ship of its type built for the U.S. Navy, in Dry Dock at Sag Harbor Shipbuilding and Drydock Company, on my one Ntrak module. ( the kit is being modified to match the actual vessel....it's still a work in progress, which is why it's in Dry Dock )

In this shot, SMCH consolidation #593 passes in the foreground ( Bachmann N scale ):

This shot is of the kitbashed Bascule lift bridge. Behind it, three masts of a schooner, then, a fishing trawler under construction, and behind that the traveling crane that lifts and moves parts for the ship under construction on the ways.

We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
I absolutely love it Sumpter. Great detailing. If you didn't put it in the caption, I wouldn't have guessed that it was N Scale.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
QUOTE:
LET'S UP THE ANTE!

What about a railroad customer that would handle no more than six cars per day, but be enough to justify the railroad's existence.

I was thinking of a Sewage Treatment Plant. It would receive tank cars and covered hoppers of chemicals and ship out tank cars (sewage), covered hoppers (de-watered bulk waste), hoppers (dewatered bulk for landfill), and box cars (also for municipal waste).

UNQUOTE

I second that motion!! (ducks, runs for cover....)

Regards,
Keith
CAMBRIDGE, Ontario
Regards,
Keith
CAMBRIDGE, Ontario
CANADA
Mr Fixit Wrote:Re; Mountain Man's comments about a Russian Narrow Guage Millitary railroad to a fort.

Carl Arendt's website had a feature about a now disused Soviet era secret submarine base built into the cliffs and hills of one of the former Soviet States. The facility was more like a James Bond movie 'bad guy hideout' complete with blast proof doors for the subs to transit through, a canal in the mountain leading to a submarine base like what the Nazis built on the coast of Occupied France, except it was all underground and totally Top Secret.

The narrow guage railway ran through the tunnel system with blast proof doors at strategic locations, car sized turntables, and some points. There were no photos of the railway equipment, but narrow guage battery powered mining engines and a range of flat cars to handle torpedos, gondolas for munitions, flat cars with lead lined containers for nuclear materials and waste, food stores, general stores, rubbish, building materials and waste, personnel, water and sanitation requirements, and medical requirements, medical waste plus possibly sick people due to radiation sickness, machinery. Basically everything you might possibly need to run a Top Secret Submarine Base underground inside a mountain.

Remember even though service personel are cleared for service in the facility, security demands [and Soviet paranoia] meant that things had to be kept secret even there.

One other good thing about such a layout is that as long as you use logic and common sense in organising the facility, nitpickers and rivet counters cant be critical as most have never served/never will and haveno idea what would look right.
Wallbang
Mark

That would make a terrific layout, inside a mountain designed to be removed in layers order to view the inner workings.

I suspect I will end up building a small gauge fortress railroad sometime in the future, since the animations would be great to do.