On18
Those that remember me from my time at the Big Blue know I model in N scale. At another forum we had a challenge to build a layout in a shoebox. When faced with such a small space what does a confirmed N scaler do? Why switch to a BIGGER scale of course! Icon_lol Now before you ask what has Tyson been smoking these days rest assured there is a method to my madness! I decided to go with On18. Why, because 18" gauge in O figures out to be real close to N scale so that would solve the problem of track and any switches that would be needed. I would have to scratch the loco and ore car bodies of course. The challenge definition of a layout is you have to be able to switch a car from one track to another or make laps or both. I choose to go with a simple (and I mean simple 35 ) mining scene. The figures are from Arrtistta but pretty much everything else is scratched. First a couple of overall shots:

Attached Files Image(s)

Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
And a few close-ups:

Attached Files Image(s)

Mike

And one last shot. My regular layout is still N scale and I don't plan on switching but these little minis are a fun way to try new things and or scales and a way to renew your love for the hobby when/if things are getting stale.

Attached Files Image(s)

Mike

That!!!, is Sweet!
18" gauge, in a shoe box?....... Cheers Cheers Cheers
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
That is so Cool!!!! Big Grin Big Grin Cheers Cheers Thumbsup Thumbsup

I love those kind of dioramas Big Grin

Glad you posted it.. How long did that take to build??????
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Wow Tyson, that's great! Nicely done!
Ralph
Thanks guys glad you like it. 2285_
Mike

Now this kind if project would be relaxing , opposite of overwhelming Icon_lol
Nice job.
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
Hi Tyson!
Kinda cool running into you over here...it's like old times!

Love the shoebox!
I hadn't seen it since you added the building...The whole thing looks fantastic!
How are you liking working with all that 'O'-versized detail? You seem to be handling it just fine! Thumbsup
-Drew-
"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly."
Now that is what I call narrow gauge Worship Cheers Thumbsup
Thanks guys! Drew , thanks for the kind words. O scale is nice but I still like N better. I think we both got started out in cyber world modeling on the Big Blue and while I have only so much time to spend on the net , now that the new "Gauge" is back in the hands of modelers and not pencil pushers I will stop by as often as I can. Thumbsup
Mike

You know that I luv it Mike. And it does seem like old times here. As you guyz know I am busy on another forum but I do stop here to admire the great modeling.
<!-- e --><a href="mailto:jmarksbery@aol.com">jmarksbery@aol.com</a><!-- e -->

W.C. & T. RAILROAD
N-Scale
Owner:
Col. Jim Marksberry
N gauger I'm sorry I missed your question. I would guess I have about 60 hours in it. Wasted 12=15 hours on the loco alone!
Somebody that knew what they were doing could probably knock it out in a few nights. Thanks Jim, I know you do and you know that other forum is one of my favorite places! Cheers
Mike

Tyson Rayles Wrote:... now that the new "Gauge" is back in the hands of modelers and not pencil pushers I will stop by as often as I can. Thumbsup

I'll drink to that! Cheers
-Drew-
"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly."
Quote:now that the new "Gauge" is back in the hands of modelers and not pencil pushers I will stop by as often as I can. Thumbsup

Cheers That!, is a most appreciated compliment!!!

Thank You Mike, it is good to see you here!
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!