Hudson Cement becomes Empire Grain
Sometimes BIG is definately BETTER. Thumbsup Looking good Ralph.You got me thinking about moving the truck dump to the front where it can be seen.Also gives me a reason to expand my elevator. :mrgreen:
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
That elevator looks bigger and better every time I see it. Way to go!

Smile,
Stein
Thanks guys!
Catt, your grain elevator was one of the things that inspired me to create Empire Grain in the first place so anything I can do.... Smile Thumbsup
Ralph Wrote:Several years ago, I took a photo of this grain barge loading equipment on the Mississippi River at Red Wing, MN. I used it as inspiration for making a grain loading chute for Empire Grain on my layout....
[Image: IMG_2583.jpg]
[Image: IMG_2580.jpg]
Ralph
I just might have to consider building a 127' coastal grain hauler, similar to this collier, so I can use the idea of that loading chute... Wink

at 870', that facility could handle six of those ships, with room left over for a small barge !!!!
( I just need a much bigger basement )

All in all, that truly is an impressive industrial complex ! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Russ Bellinis Wrote:
Ralph Wrote:Thanks guys!

Russ, In my photo searches I've seen photos of trailers on inclined lifts like you desribe. I've also seen trucks with trailers that could be raised like a dump truck.

Matt, go for the big! Smile Looking forward to seeing what you do.

Ralph

The biggest advantage to modeling a lift is that you don't need to find 1970's era dedicated grain trailers. You can use standard van trailers from the era for grain. Also being on the Hudson River, I wonder if there would have been ships coming up river from Elizabeth, N.J. to load out grain for Russia in the 1970's like they did here in Long Beach?

Russ, I totally agree with you on that. They used boxcars for grain until the late 1980's... Just think about the Manitoba Grain Box Car to Churchill and tohers like that. A string of wood box cars at the feet of a gigantic elevator has its inherent charm one can't deny!

Sumpter: This boat is quite a nice little model. One thing I would be curious to see is a HO great lake ship.

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/