The Los Angeles Terminal Railroad
cnw1961 Wrote:If I stop tearing down my layouts in their early stages or short before completion, I’ll have enough time some day to build some more Wink Misngth .

Well, I maybe should not steal your time then, but I just followed your link and looked up Palmetto Street in Streetview. What a surprise, down the street I could spot the place I am modeling. Or in reverse, when I look around at "my" place I can see the structure you are building atm. So we are neighbors - modelwise.
Jens
cnw1961 Wrote:Here is a pic especially for jonte Wink .

[Image: la20.jpg]

Gosh, Kurt, I'm touched Thumbsup

Whisked back in time; and that warehouse looks the part already; just gotta be 'The Patch' . Can't wait to see this completed. Please, please, pleeeeeaaaase complete this one, Kurt.

Best wishes and look forward to seeing some more pretty soon.

Jonte
cnw1961 Wrote:Gary, I scratchbuilt it 5 years ago as my entry to the Gauge Scratchbuilding Challenge. I used this Accurail car as a template.

[Image: Boxcar1.jpg]

[Image: Boxcar10.jpg]

[Image: Boxcar27.jpg]

[Image: Boxcar32.jpg]

[Image: Boxcar31.jpg]

[Image: Boxcar38.jpg]

Quality!!
SP1 Wrote:Well, I maybe should not steal your time then, but I just followed your link and looked up Palmetto Street in Streetview. What a surprise, down the street I could spot the place I am modeling. Or in reverse, when I look around at "my" place I can see the structure you are building atm. So we are neighbors - modelwise.

Hello, neighbor! What place exactly is it that you are modeling? Any pics?

Jonte, I thought you’d like this step back in time.

Here are a few pics that show the results of my carvings after I painted the streets and gave them a first wash with thinned black paint.

[Image: la21.jpg]

[Image: la22.jpg]

[Image: la23.jpg]
Kurt
cnw1961 Wrote:Hello, neighbor! What place exactly is it that you are modeling? Any pics?

[Image: file.php?id=8217]

4th street bridge and the part south of it with Santa Fe Ave and the tall warehouse. No pics yet, I am still moving around cardboard mockups.
Once I have determined how to incorporate the scene into the layout, I'll build the structures first before laying any track.
Jens
Hey Kurt. The boxcar looks great. I'll need to stick with the plain old accurail version for now (even that's still parts). You and Faraway certainly have us beat in the productivity dept. Thanks for all the continuing and inspiring projects. Those grey mock-ups look really cool too.
Those are some very good looking streets, CNW! Thumbsup
cnw1961 Wrote:Jonte, I thought you’d like this step back in time.

Thanks, Kurt. You've captured the scene rather well. I certainly recognise the building in the second shot...........was going to use it as a scenic break until somebody brought me back down to earth Icon_lol

Jonte
MrBill, MountainMan, thank you for your encouraging comments, they are much appreciated.

Unfortunately I was too busy to make much progress on the layout. I just gave the street a second black wash and painted the cobbles. A little more weathering still needs to be done, but I am quite satisfied with the way the streets are turning out.

[Image: la24.jpg]
Kurt
I'm liking the way they are turning out too. Looks great, and a few more washes should make it superb. You are a plaster wizard!
Kurt,

That is very impressive!! I have some roadways I am going to have to check back on your techniques when I get to that stage...

Keep up the great work and keep the great pictures rolling!!
Be Wise Beware Be Safe
"Mountain Goat" Greg

https://www.facebook.com/mountaingoatgreg/
Wow I like how you did the track with the street that looks great
cnw1961 Wrote:MrBill, MountainMan, thank you for your encouraging comments, they are much appreciated.

Unfortunately I was too busy to make much progress on the layout. I just gave the street a second black wash and painted the cobbles. A little more weathering still needs to be done, but I am quite satisfied with the way the streets are turning out.

[Image: la24.jpg]

Im just damned glad I dont have to drive on such torn up roads. No wonder US cars have such soft suspension to deal with roads like that without breaking one's bum.

Damn fine work, scarily convincing. I wouldnt want to drive a new car that I had paid for round those roads, nor one I would have to explain about the damage to my boss either. Just looking at those potholes is making my back and bum hurt.
Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More
Kurt,

the carving is excellent, the asphalt color is spot on too. But, I have to disagree with everyone else, I personaly don't like the color of the cobblestones. I think they are too reddish, too much brick colored. It is fine if want to make them stand out and emphasize you carving skills, but otherwise I would tend to blend them in more.
[pic deleted]
Jens
I think the (cobble)stone colour, like that of brick, may be very peculiar to the locale: There were many such roads in Hamilton, Ontario when I was growing up, and most were very brick-coloured, albeit quite dark and dirty. Building brick there was very distinctly orange in colour, although because of all the heavy industry in the city, also usually very dirty.

Wayne