We are wondering what you think about this....
[Image: NESW.gif]
North East & South West Intercontinental Short line Railway
Les
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/">http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/</a><!-- m --> Check it out
http://www.youtube.com/lesterperry/
I like that one... lots of possibilities to adapt for any era. I could see a stylish compass logo for the 1920s and 30s that evolved into that contemporary compass rose graphic. Could easily co-opt the Canadian Pacific's former slogan "Spans the World" to go with it.

And NE&SW is a nice set of "railroady" initials. Wink

Andrew
I like that one too.
Does no one see the play on words with it being a short line but intercontinental and look at where it goes.
Les
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/">http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/</a><!-- m --> Check it out
http://www.youtube.com/lesterperry/
Or maybe "Serves all points", "The Compass Line", or even "The NEWS Line".

Andrew
Lester Perry Wrote:Does no one see the play on words with it being a short line but intercontinental and look at where it goes.
But of course, still, as you know, the world is growing smaller each day, at least that's what they tell us. It that's true, a short line would work just fine in a shrinking world like ours. 357 357
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Lester Perry Wrote:Does no one see the play on words with it being a short line but intercontinental and look at where it goes.

Absolutely... that's one of the appealing things about it...! Wink

Icon_lol

Andrew
I can see their motto being: "Serves both sides of the pond" Icon_lol
Justin Miller
Modeling the Lebanon Industrial Railway (LIRY)
The "North-Central-South American,Euro-Asian & African Railway,or the NCSA,E-A & A Ry. Eek
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
Lester Perry Wrote:[Image: NESW.gif]
North East & South West Intercontinental Short line Railway

That's one name I wouldn't touch with a 100' pole since its way to open and meaningless based on what my years of researching short lines and shortline names has taught me.

Be ok for a group effort though. Thumbsup

What may be better is one corporate name such as Global Rail Industries-something like GWI which has "short lines" in other countries
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
For the earlier modelers, Global Lines would make more sense to me.

Railroads would tend to use Lines in a transportation corporate name to encompass many different companies under one umbrella and lines could still be used in present day operations.

The back story could be similar to the New York Central. It was organized as a group of connecting lines into one large railroad and over time, due to its exponential prosperity, would buy out larger lines.

I liked the Seattle Mariners Compass design presented earlier, but I would stick to something simpler so that it would be easier to print out decals. Remember, conservative was the order of the day back then, so companies wouldn't go out on a limb graphically as they would nowadays.

Even a simple font with the corporate name would suffice. Remember, ordinary is more believable in modelling than extraordinary.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Lot's of good suggestions here. I'll probably wait until the end of this month before I collect the suggested names, good or bad, I'll list them all and everyone will have a chance to pick the one they like the best. So keep them coming.
Welcome Welcome Welcome
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Mike Kieran Wrote:For the earlier modelers, Global Lines would make more sense to me.

Railroads would tend to use Lines in a transportation corporate name to encompass many different companies under one umbrella and lines could still be used in present day operations.

The back story could be similar to the New York Central. It was organized as a group of connecting lines into one large railroad and over time, due to its exponential prosperity, would buy out larger lines.

I liked the Seattle Mariners Compass design presented earlier, but I would stick to something simpler so that it would be easier to print out decals. Remember, conservative was the order of the day back then, so companies wouldn't go out on a limb graphically as they would nowadays.

Even a simple font with the corporate name would suffice. Remember, ordinary is more believable in modelling than extraordinary.

Global Lines has the ring of a holding company, rather than an actual railroad. There are exceptions though, like Seaboard Air Line.

I like the more intricate logos for the older lines - nowadays you see units with the minimum of effort - usually just names and numbers get updated, Many locos and rolling stock carry original paint with new info simply stenciled over. Compare with things like:

So how about this for the older/earlier era:

Andrew
MasonJar Wrote:
Mike Kieran Wrote:For the earlier modelers, Global Lines would make more sense to me.

Global Lines has the ring of a holding company, rather than an actual railroad. There are exceptions though, like Seaboard Air Line.

I like the more intricate logos for the older lines - nowadays you see units with the minimum of effort - usually just names and numbers get updated, Many locos and rolling stock carry original paint with new info simply stenciled over. Compare with things like:

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

So how about this for the older/earlier era:
[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

Andrew

Hey Andrew,
Actually, Global Lines can be put on the equipment and sublettered for the individual railroad. Southern Pacific had railroad equipment lettered for the Southern Pacific Lines, Missouri Pacific had stuff lettered Missouri Pacific Lines, here was the Delta Lines, and so on.

Maybe something along the same train of thought as Frank Ellison would be the Alpha Lines (dominating rail transport) with a mascot named Alpha Dog (no copy write)
with their headquarters in the city of Alpha (city names don't have to be any more real than the railroad that we are modelling.

I do love the Serving All Points logo. Thumbsup Cheers
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Cool... DId not know that about Missouri, etc.

Fun and interesting to tie it into Ellison's work. Wink

Thanks for the vote on the logo...! Big Grin

ANdrew