Planning new FWWR layout
Looking Good! Thumbsup
Spent the last 3 days of my Christmas holidays multitasking. Working on a kitbash of NREX 8748 a GP11, and working on the layout. As of last night the main trackwork is complet, a few industrial spurs left to be installed and all then all trackwork will be completed. Add drops for DCC and might be abler to run some trains before the new year 2285_ . All the lights were finished had one wall that was not completed make the yard area much better to see now, another project completed on the list. Wish i could stay on track and not bounce around so much, would be able to complete more things. Seems to be a problem when doing this all by myself nobody to keep me on track.
Wayne Snyder
Creating the Ft Worth Sub - FWWR
Progress photos. Some of the last track being laid:

[Image: DSCN2025.jpg]

[Image: DSCN2024.jpg]

After looking at these photos, What a mess. Need to get this stuff cleaned up so I can run some trains.
Wayne Snyder
What Brand of DCC system ya runnin'?Just curious Smile
Don Shriner
Don,

I am using an old Digitrax Empire Builder I bought approx 10 years ago when I worked in a shop in CA. This was before their radio control was even available. Last year had to send the DB150 back to Digitrax for repair it finally gave up, now runs like a champ. I have a bunch of UP5 located all around the layout.
Ive also accuried a couple of DS64 for automatic route control in the yard and some of the harder to get to switchs.
This is a industrial area so most of the switchs will be hand thrown to slow down operators like in the real world.
As in, Engineer will bring the train to a stop, Conductor will align the switch, then engineer will procede.
Wayne Snyder
Happy New Year to everybody. Have spent the New Years Weekend working on the layout. At 10:30 New Years Eve the first FWWR train ran on the layout, FINNALY 2285_ . Now starting to work on the electronics for the yard, installing the last of the drops and completing the track wiring, I HATE THIS. Finally able to run some trains and fix any power problems with trackwork. Been reading Lance's new book on operations and starting to get an idea on how it is done, Boy do I have a lot of work ahead of me. Looking to use JMRI will see if this will do what i want, time will tell. That it for now will try to get some more photos soon.
Wayne Snyder
Congrats on your first run! Cheers
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Congrats on the progress!!

I look forward to watching your layout progress. It sure is nice to see something moving around on a layout you have worked on. I am also with you on a complete dislike of troubleshooting and wiring in general, although necessary until they make scale prime movers...

Keep up the great work!!
Be Wise Beware Be Safe
"Mountain Goat" Greg

https://www.facebook.com/mountaingoatgreg/
No updates lately so here we go.

[Image: DSCN1716-1.jpg]

[Image: DSCN1717-1.jpg]

[Image: DSCN1718.jpg]

The backdrop has been finished and painted. Lower valence was completed and ready to be painted. After running some trains and looking at some pictures that I had taken of the yard. Out came the peninsula and it was moved over a couple of feet to better represent the yard entrance. Here is the prototype:

[Image: DSCN8698.jpg]

Here is what was done over the weekend:

[Image: DSCN1719.jpg]

I did not pay attention when I laid this area out and was trying to get the yard as large as I could in this area. But 2 problems arose, 1st track arrangement was incorrect. 2nd after working with train size that I could use, the yard was just to big. I could not move anything from both ends easily. So out track came and the new arrangement has begun. After running to LHS and finding out no HO cork, bought the last few pieces of O scale that they had. Came home and modified it and with a little work got it relaid. Hope to get track in and wired back up this week.
Wayne Snyder
That is promising to be a very prototypical layout with lots of free space around the tracks.
Reinhard
Lookin' good man,looking forward to your progress Big Grin What size is this room?You sure got alot of realestate,very well planned out layout,I just hope my skills will be up to par with yours.
Don Shriner
Looking good!
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Went to the LHS this past weekend and acquired a new FWWR engine from the second run from Athearn. Originally I thought that the graphics were incorrect. After seeing it in the shop I purchased it:

[Image: DSCN2571.jpg]

Have a lot of work to do to get it running, just another engine to finish Thumbsup .
Wayne Snyder
Wayne, I have got a question after looking at that photo again. How do you access the three windows (e.g. for cleaning)?
[Image: DSCN1717-1.jpg]
Reinhard
Sounds bad but I don't clean the windows in train room. Here in TX this old house gets hotter than hell. I got some black out shades from Wall-Mart and covered the windows now, it makes a huge difference in the how much cooler it gets, at least I don't sweat my ass off when working on the layout like I use to. Hope to start building structures this weekend with you ideas, thanks.
Wayne Snyder