Howdy Y'all!
Gotcha!
"Hello there" is possibly what I should have put as I'm actually from near Manchester in the NW of England! My name is John Edge and I'm 46, married with two cats and work for myself, from home! I've been a railway 'nut' since I was about 4 or 5 but since about 12, my enthusiasm has been unstoppable.
I'm interested in pretty much all railways/railroads from around the world but I do find American railroads to be some of the most fascinating that I have ever come across! I have visited the USA just the once (wish i could get back one day) - I had a two day stopover in Chicago followed by nearly three weeks based in LA but travelled around (by car!) and saw San Francisco, Reno, Yosmite, Donner Pass, Sacramento (museum), Tehachapi and a good bit of LA itself. I still can't quite believe just how big LA is!
On my eventual next visit, I should very much like to see all around the South East and down into Texas.
Modelling wise, I'm mainly into H0 scale but keep looking longingly at 0 scale. I've never yet actually built a full layout of my own but strangely have built several for other people and been involved with several club layouts. I am currently planning a shelf style layout in H0 based upon 'New Ulm', Minnesota in C&NW days when it was the Alco line - you could say that I'm an 'Alco-haulic'!
I also have a great love for the Chesapeake & Ohio railroad in steam/transition days, hence my handle of "allegheny1600" - I've been using that for over 10 years or more now. I see there is an "Allegheny2-6-6-6" on here, I hope he doesn't mind me being here with this name? If so, I'll get my name changed to plain "John Edge" to avoid confusion!
I also recognise one or two other names on here, from a Brit forum - howdy guys!
Well, thats it for now!
Hope I haven't sent anyone to sleep with my ramblings!
Cheers,
John E.
In the shuffling madness of the locomotive breath
Runs the alltime loser headlong to his death
He feels the piston scraping Steam breaking on his brow
Old Charlie stole the handle and The train wont stop going
No way to slow down No way to slow down
Ian A
Welcome John, I see that they speak funny in your part of England, you could almost confuse it with our friends in the southern part of the US....

Gotcha... 357 357

Glad to have you aboard. Looks like you've seen a fair part of the US, Lots more to see though, you could spend months in LA and not see it all. Most of that time will be spent on the freeways, stuck in traffic, Eek so it takes a long time to see the sights.

If you have pictures of anything you've done, are in the process of doing, or of anything that you've seen along the highways and byways, don't hesitate to post them. Everyone here loves pictures.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Howdy John! Goldth Glad you could join us!
Ralph
Welcome Welcome allegheny1600 Welcome Welcome
C&O steam power is some of the best looking ( maybe not beautiful, but still impressive ), and the H-8 2-6-6-6 is my personal favorite.
I think you'd find Chicago a bit changed, rail wise, as the C&NW, the EJ&E, and the Wisconsin Central, are gone now. There are still locos in "J" paint, lots of WC, and C&NW rolling stock. There may still be a couple of WC locos, I haven't seen them lately, but I think the UP has repainted all the C&NW locos.
ALCO, was used by the Long island Railroad, along with some Fairbanks Morse, so I have a few of those. I'm not quite an "ALCO-haulic", but I do like American Locomotive Company products.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Hi guys,
Many thanks for the warm welcome!
Now it seems I have a "to do" list! Get my photos scanned and uploaded and post about the forcoming build of my new layout!
Will do asasp!
Cheers,
John E.
In the shuffling madness of the locomotive breath
Runs the alltime loser headlong to his death
He feels the piston scraping Steam breaking on his brow
Old Charlie stole the handle and The train wont stop going
No way to slow down No way to slow down
Ian A
Hi John, see that links posted in the other place have dragged you across here to join some of us! :o
Welcome! Welcome
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Hey John, welcome to the forum!