When were these cars used?
I have accured a collection of HO cars, but I think some don't fit my period. I am trying to restrict my stock to mid 50's, so tell me if I should trade off these cars.

All are Athearn Blue Box.

ATSF 55' ACF center flow hopper.

AFSF 50' Supper Shock Control box car.

ATSF 40' HI-CUBE box car.

Milwaukee Road 40' HI-CUBE box car.

Kent
Except for the road names, all the cars types of cars you listed are still being used.

ATSF would more than likely be lettered BNSF. Same with the Milwaukee.
Though some of railroads will leave the original reporting marks, but a lot would of either been patched, with new reporting marks,(the Milawakee car would have the MILW painted out and BNSF in its place) or just completely renumbered next time it went to the paint shop, in which case it would be totally repainted with the railroads color scheme.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
Hi, KentBy ! Will make a non-authoratative guess that none of these cars would have been around in the mid-fiftys time frame. The "Cube" boxes (whatever length) were just arriving in the early '70s, I believe, and were one major reason/result of the elimination of roof walkways and full height ladders from cars after about 1972. While D/F (Damage Free) cushioned sills/draft gear were around in the '50s, the modern units, extending several feet beyond the car end are too late for your target dates. The covered hopper, am much less sure about - seems large for the '50s (probably 100 net tons) - the unloading mechanism would also date the car, but I don't know what was when. I'm sure someone may bring better info - just don't have access to my data at present, and the memory fogs up some. :? Bob c
James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
They are all 1960s era cars. Santa Fe cars would be owned by BNSF now but there's no guarantee they'd be repainted. Milwaukee cars would be owned by Canadian Pacific, not BNSF. The 40' boxcars would've been used for heavy, bulky commodities that would cause a larger boxcar to go overweight if loaded to capacity by space. Just a few were hanging on into the 1990s and I believe most all are now gone.

The best way to research older information is by book because nobody (but me) takes the time to scan older photos to post online. You can find car information online, but very few acceptable photos from the 1950s are available. Pick up some of the Morning Sun color guides for various railroads that cover the 1950s as well as a couple equipment registers from the period.
Oops.....Didn't see that 50's era thing. I was thinking modern era for some reason.
My bad!
Disregard my post.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
Get out your magnifier, and look at the "blt", or "new" date in the data area. This date will be when the car was first built, if it is before, or during your era it's good, if after? maybe you could trade. I'm still looking for Clinchfield steam era rolling stock.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
One quick check on box cars and reefers is if it has no roof walk, and the brake wheel has been relocated to @ 4' up from the floor of the car on one end instead of at the roof, it will be either a 1972 or newer car or a rebuilt car rebuilt in the early 1970's.
"ATSF 55' ACF center flow hopper."

Those covered hoppers didn't show up until the 60s..Many are still in use today.

"40' HI-CUBE box car."

These rebuilt boxcars didn't show till the early 60s and was use to haul appliances.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Gentlemen, thanks for the information. I'll take some pictures and post in the swap meet section. See if I can trade for something that fits my RR better.

Kent