GERN Industries - New Flux deposit found!
The title says it all - The companies geologists have found a new deposit of pure solid flux. A consulting firm was commissioned to study the practicability and rentability of this possible new GERN subsidiary. Their provisional report suggests open pit mining using a minimum of (used) machinery. The flux should be shipped via rail in solid blocks. To minimize loss they propose an additional concrete plant.

Currently I am negotiating with the land owners (read: I am looking for a solution to incorporate this venture into my layout).

Jens
Can't wait to see where this goes!!! Big Grin Big Grin Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Some really nice overhead views of an interesting place. And good to see the GERN family expanding.
See <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://carendt.us/scrapbook/page88/index.html">http://carendt.us/scrapbook/page88/index.html</a><!-- m --> Second item
Slow, Gentlemen, slow!
I really want to do this, but there are two problems to overcome.
First, I need to find a way how to fit this into my layout. Or maybe I should go with modules?
Second, I am not sure if I am able to model the quarry like scenery.

On the other hand this will give me a good excuse to model some mining/quarry equipment - one of my
favorite things to do.

shortliner Wrote:See <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://carendt.us/scrapbook/page88/index.html">http://carendt.us/scrapbook/page88/index.html</a><!-- m --> Second item
Well, I see I am not the only one that had discovered this gem. But obviously they have no idea about the flux Icon_lol
Jens
I once a very convincing quarry scene made of stacked layers of gray homasote material. I don't know if you have this paper fiber insulation board available where you are but perhaps foam insulation might work as well?
SP1 Wrote:Slow, Gentlemen, slow!
I really want to do this, but there are two problems to overcome.
First, I need to find a way how to fit this into my layout. Or maybe I should go with modules?
Second, I am not sure if I am able to model the quarry like scenery.

The pit could be open to the edge of the layout so that you don't have to find a place to put the whole "hole", so to speak. Not sure what other elements you want - a connection to your mainline or not, etc.

I would think that the smooth surface of carved pink or blue styrofoam would work well once painted a suitable colour. In the photos it looks almost as if the stone has been sawn out of the pit, but I suspect it's blasted with some strategically placed charges in straight lines. The boreholes (or what's left) are probably visible if you zoom in more.

Andrew
Quote:To minimize loss they propose an additional concrete plant.
Terrific news...but what do you need the concrete for? :?
I am going to build a small diorama using styrofoam/styropor as suggested. We will quickly see if this works. The layout integration issue has been solved already.

Quote:...but what do you need the concrete for?

This will give me even more excuses to build dump trucks, front endloaders and such. It will also make me rich, 3% stronger concrete could be a big seller.

Quote:In the photos it looks almost as if the stone has been sawn out of the pit, but I suspect it's blasted with some strategically placed charges in straight lines. The boreholes (or what's left) are probably visible if you zoom in more.

On their (Fletcher Granite) homepage are pictures that do indeed show boreholes. But I suspect, they do not use explosives. I rather think, they pump in water under high pressure until the block cracks off the wall. I have seen something similar here in Europe.
Jens
MasonJar Wrote:The pit could be open to the edge of the layout so that you don't have to find a place to put the whole "hole", so to speak.

Andrew

I was thinking the same thing. Instead of fascia, make the pit the edge of the layout, design a grade for dumptrucks to drive down into the pit and simply replicate the block cutting along the edge of the layout. I would imagine it would make for an interesting feature if it could be pulled off.
Challenge:
have a block that actually falls off in front of the visitor.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Thanks for your input. The solution is quite simple. I will build that mini-layout in the furthest away corner I have. Because I am working so slowly it is unlikely I reach that corner with the main layout in the next few years 35

Quote:Challenge:
I doubt I need more challenges. The creation of a believable quarry scenery is challenging enough. So far I have nothing worth to show.
Jens
BR60103 Wrote:Challenge:

Easy enough to do... Thumbsup
Nut embedded in the falling piece, electromagnet in the pit side. Call the all clear, turn off electromagnet, block falls.

--Randy
Modeling the Reading Railroad of the 1950's in HO

Visit my web site to see layout progress and other information:
http://www.readingeastpenn.com
How about if the block of GERN contained a magnet which was attracted to the inactive electromagnets components then when the electromagnet was energised the same way as the GERN magnet it would repell the block causing it to fall.

I noted there were several crawler cranes in the real pit, so how about making a model one motorised and capable of lifting several blocks on to railcars as a sort of skills tester? My son and I used a small clamshell bucket crane on a HO scale module loading from a bin into a hopper car at a train show and he picked up the skills straight away and he's six. I might add that such activities are captivating not only to the operator but the spectators as well.

Also you could make a gravel truck work its way up and down the pit using a system similar to the Faller Bus system so the truck follows a wire hidden in the quarry roadway? The Faller bus is self propelled by a small battery and electric motor and the front wheels swivel by means of a trailing magnet on the steering arms.

I guess it just depends upon how crazy you want to get and your desired skill level in relation to minature vehicle movements.
Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More