Shamus - R.I.P - 14th March 1937 / 23rd November 2008
From Qube at AMR I am sorry to report that at 4am GMT on 23rd November 2008, Shamus passed away in his sleep.

The doctors and nurses at the charity run Telford Hospice did an excellent job in making his last few days as comfortable as possible.

At loosing my father I am devastated, but a part of me is comforted that he is no longer suffering.

If any members in the UK would like to attend the funeral I will post details when I have them.

Shamus, Dad, you will be sorely missed.
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Rather than post a single picture here, I would ask you to go visit his you-tube posts here http://www.youtube.com/user/shamusy

He was a good friend who I have spoken to over the phone. He lived in the U.K. while I am in PA.. He helped start The Gauge as it was, almost 8 years ago...

After I had joined (2 days after him, when The Gauge was but a week old) I told him of my knowledge of model railroading. he asked me if I would want to moderate a forum or 2..

I replied I had little such experience... we agreed to start The Builder's Plate forum. I learned a lot from him including scenery and photography skills. Most of all he taught me to be a good, fair, Moderator.

When he was ready to move on and start his own forum, He asked me if I would like to Administrate The Gauge.. After thinking a while, I said yes.... That was 4 years ago..

I will miss him... On behalf of The Gauge .. We created this tribute as we did for Robin.......

Rest In Peace, My friend ...... and mentor............

N Gauger - Mikey
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

I needed to bring this over to here. Where, so ever "The-Gauge" should exist, Paul Templar, aka Shamus will exist, even if only in memorium. To a friend, already missed;

Paul, you were an inspiration to many of us. You were a friend to many more. If I have any regret, it would be that I never had the chance to meet with you, and discuss model railroading over good food and drink at the local pub. I did, however, have the chance to discuss model railroading over a great board, here at "The-Gauge", "Big Blue". I will miss those discussions, at least until such time as I join you, God willing, on the vast, eternal "website" that you've gone to.
I am blessed to have been able to build, and send to you, the things I did, and blessed that you received them well. It matters not, that no one else knows what, and when. It matters only that you were pleased, and considering the quality of your work, I can only feel honored that you were pleased with my humble efforts.
Where you are now, my friend, there are far better than me to discuss model railroading with, and far more time for it, and far better "pubs" to enjoy it in. Be at peace, modelmaker, teacher, musician, friend. That far green country, into a swift sunrise, beyond white shores, is yours now. Take comfort, for it is there for you.
Take joy, for there is no need for sorrow now. Concern yourself not for us, for we will meet again. The joy of that renewed friendship, will well compensate the sorrow of this parting.
Blessed, and bettered am I for having known you.
Pete
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Here's a photo taken with just the lights in the shed and a little time exposure as well.

Shamus    
Water tower is going to be very busy in a short while as both shays need a drink.
Shamus

Badger Creek Lumber Company #12......Paul challenged me to build a bobber caboose, I did, and sent it to him. He added the lettering.    
Thank you, Paul, for your friendship.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Here's a scan from the 2005 Walther's HO catalog.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
Sumpter -- thanks for bringing that over -- it HAD to be done.

I can't help but think that Shamus passing somehow affected things to create a place where his "presence" would be more comfortable for the spirit he lends than what the gauge had deteriorated to.
Instant glue ? ---- SOLDER ---- NOW THATS INSTANT!
I never met your father, but I saw his layout pictures and thought it was one of the most amazing layouts I have ever seen in pictures or in person. the logging operation pictures made me wonder how interesting the real life loggers lived and did the work on and off the railroad.
My greatfather worked on the river running logs down the Ottawa River and they were shipped to the river by rail in places or picked up by rail at the end of the trip down river.
I am sorry to hear about your father, his memory will live on thru the pictures of his layout and the layouts he inspired around the world
I hope there is a model train room in heaven for him to apply his skills
stuart warren
renfrew ontario canada
I just wanted to move this picture of Shamus into this thread.........

Attached Files Image(s)

~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75