Kitbasher's Diary - Glasgow Jct Depot (N Scale)
The following tutorial was submitted by "Drew1125" on 5-14-04, and is being recreated here to bring back some historical records to the New Academy:
This shows the process I've been going through to come up with a station for the town on my N scale layout...
It all started with this kit roof I found in the scrap box...I used it as a starting point, & built some walls to fit it out of Evergreen siding...(the bay window came from a DPM kit)

I found this piece in a Walthers HO meat packing plant...

I used it to make a freight shed addition to the station...

I added another little addition, & added some doors & windows from the scrap box...

I decided I didn't want to use the kit roof I started with, so I made a roof from plain styrene...I also found another piece of styrene to use as a base/platform...

I decided I wanted the platform to look like wood, so I scored it with a razor saw...

-Drew-
NARA Member #48
Life is all the stuff that happened while you were makin' other plans.
I primed it flat black, & dry brushed it various shades of brown to give it more of a "wooden" look...

I had ended up with a window opening, & a notch in the top of the shed wall that I didn't want...

My solution was to make a chimney from strips of styrene covered with H&R brick sheet..

Here's the chimney in place, with a crown & pipe made from styrene...

-Drew-
NARA Member #48
Here's a trackside view...I've added a roof to the freight shed, & a covered loading platform...I also added a freight door to the shed, & I found this little dome thingy in the scrap box, & cut a piece off to serve as a roof over the bay..

I've gotten a little more done...
I painted the styrene roof flat black, & then glued strips of tissue paper to it to look like roll roofing, or tarpaper...

I painted & weathered the roof, added some "glass" & shades to the windows...here's a view of the interchange side of the depot...

Here's the other side...I'm going to try & raise the platform & structure slightly, & then build some type of foundation under that lopsided shed addition...

I've gotten a tiny bit more done on this one...
I put a piece of mat-board under the structure to give it a little elevation...this always helps in N scale, to make the structure a little taller, & lowering the profile of the adjacent track(s)...

-Drew-
NARA Member #48
I also botched up a window opening on the end of the station, so I "boarded" it up...

Well, it's been a couple of weeks since I posted anything here...
I've added a foundation to the little shed annex...

I haven't attached the depot to the layout yet, but I did set it on the layout to take this picture...(this is where it will go on the layout)

I'm still working on adding figures & details.

I've finally gotten the station planted on the layout...still some details left, but the workbench phase is pretty much done...
I wanted to raise the structure slightly, to work better with the oversized N scale track, so I gut an odd-shaped piece of cardboard from an old kit box, & glued it to the scenic base...

-Drew-
NARA Member #48
I had already attached a piece of mat-board to the bottom of the structure, so I glued this onto the cardboard...

I used some Sculptamold to kind of "blend this all into the scenic base...

painted everything with tan latex paint, & sprinkled on sifted dirt...

Next came ballast for the track, & some more trees...

-Drew-
NARA Member #48
After everything had dried, I sanded the dirt around the station, to look like a more packed, heavily traveled area..

Here's how it looks now, as a coal drag rolls by, heading into the junction...

I've been piling some stuff around the station, to hide some goofs, & just to give it a "well-used" kind of feel...

Here's another pic...

-Drew-
NARA Member #48