Alternative (EASY!) Method to plastering scenery (Pics!)
This thread is among those that we are trying to reconstruct from our old Academy. It was posted on Oct. 4, 2003 by Arlaghan. Most replies and comments are not included, but the main tutorial posts are all here.
If you're like me, and like to take your time to make sure you get the exact results you are looking for, then you have probably also wasted many bowls of plaster that dried before you got a chance to use it. Also, you probably can't stand the dripping mess that plaster soaked paper towels make, or the hassle of cutting wet material to fit a particular spot.

Well my friends, this how-to is for you! I pondered one night how to eliminate these problems. I've tried constantly mixing the plaster so it wouldn't set - that's no good, because plaster only sets ONCE, so once it starts to set, by mixing it, I broke it up and ruined its hardening properties. I was at an impass... then it occurred to me: Why mix the plaster at all? Why not put the plaster powder on the layout, then mist it with a sprayer and allow it to set just as it fell? Well, I set out to try it, and am very pleased with the results! All of which I plan to share with you:
First, you will need some materials:

I used the following:

1) Plaster of paris (this sets quickly - much preferable)
2) A spray bottle with water
3) Masking tape
4) A salt shaker
5) A plastic spoon
6) A paper funnel
EDIT: 7) And duh, paper towels. (Where is my brain)

Cover any nearby trackwork with the masking tape, and fill the shaker with plaster using the spoon and funnel.

Using your sprayer, mist the area you are going to work on. Get it nice and wet. Since foam doesn't take well to water, the water beads up, so get it good and wet.

Use your salt shaker and sprinkle some plaster over the wet area. Plaster doesn't come out like sand from an hourglass, so you have got to tap the bottom like a ketchup bottle.

Spray the sprinkled plaster to get it nice and wet. Don't be stingy with the water, as when you apply paper towels, it will soak it up and hold it in place while it dries.

While the paper towel is dry, it is easy to cut it to the exact shape that you need. Do this now and apply it to the wet area.

Here is the paper towel in place. Be sure to press out any air bubbles as you see fit.

Now, sprinkle more plaster onto the top of the paper towel. This is to get both sides of the paper towel coated with plaster - the same effect as soaking it in ready mixed plaster.

Wet the newly applied plaster so it will set. You can repeat steps 7 and 8 as often as you like to get the desired thickness/appearance that you are looking for.

am a little impatient, so I used a blow dryer to dry up any excess run off water. This allows you to dry the area without having to touch your work.

While this gets rid of the run off water, it doesn't dry the scenery, so be sure not to touch it yet! (Unless you are making changes to the texture by means of some tool... in that case, now is the time to do it, while the plaster is still "pasty.")

Here is a sample area I did last night using the same techniques outlined here. Allowed to dry overnight, it's hard as a rock, but very light weight!

Well folks, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! Goldth Goldth Goldth

Questions/Comments welcome!

-Aaaaaaallllllleeeeeexxxxxxxx
(Some of you will get this joke)

For the rest of you:
-Alex