32nd street switching layout
As long as you have the GERN plant in there... Thumbsup
Finally got around to wiring up the tracks on the new 14.4" x 34" layout section over my computer desk, and did a little test run - with the camera placed about half way down the layout - about 5 - 5 1/2 foot from the end:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2uReXD8mjg

Smile,
Stein
Nice work, Stein. I'm enjoying following your progress. I also enjoy looking over your track planning ideas. Some very good switching arrangements here and on your photo site!

Regards,
Len Turner
Texas South East RR
http://tserr.blogspot.com/
It is great to have a (small) layout in the living room. I did show your photos to my wife..... my layout will stay in the home office Wink
Reinhard
Len Turner Wrote:Nice work, Stein. I'm enjoying following your progress. I also enjoy looking over your track planning ideas. Some very good switching arrangements here and on your photo site!

Thanks, Len !

Progress is pretty slow, but once in a blue moon I get a little something done, before there is another pause. Still - it is a hobby - something I do because I like it, not work with a deadline :-)

Looking forward to seeing more of your layout as well !

faraway Wrote:It is great to have a (small) layout in the living room. I did show your photos to my wife..... my layout will stay in the home office Wink

LOL - that is what my wife thought, too. I eventually convinced her to let me do a small layout in the living room :-)

Grin,
Stein
Nice Video Stein Thumbsup
greeting from the blade city Solingen / gruß aus der Klingenstadt Solingen

Harry

Scale Z and N
Haven't posted anything about my little layout in a while - finally got around to making some small changes.

1) I took up two spurs which had been placed directly on the plywood and put road bed under them, to put almost all the tracks at the same level - gives me two more car spots on each track to not use almost a foot of each track on the transition slope down tracks on track bed to tracks directly on plywood.

2) Turned the three tracks at far right into a small yard, and made the shelf table about 3" wide at the far right end, to allow buildings on the aisle side

3) Added a removable staging cassette long enough to hold an engine and 4-5 cars to right side of the layout.

A little video showing a transfer run - Consolidation #724 arrives with four cars and pushes the cars into Westside yard:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obrNP_0qt_4

Smile,
Stein
Hi Stein,
lovely video, a great plan BTW.
When trying to draw my version I found out how cleverly the subtle curves on the main part are used to gain length.
One question however: why are US road bridges always that high above the tracks? Smoke issues?

Paul
Height of US highway bridges is anything over minimum clearance, and that's changed over the years. In the 21st century, main lines that have double stacks need a clearance something in the neighborhood of 22 feet, and there were major projects in the 1990s to eliminate or replace bridges with clearances of less than that on Eastern main lines. There were equivalent campaigns in the 1930s to accommodate higher-height boxcars. In the steam era, clearances could be as low as 15 feet or so, and some locos, like the NYC Niagaras and PRR Q2s, got a certain amount of their look from having to stay within those clearances. Smoke was never really an issue, it was the size of the equipment.
Looking good, Stein! Thumbsup I'm really looking forward to my next trip to Sørumsand, hopefully it won't be too long.

BTW, what does Lora say about your gradually expanding railroad empire in the living room..? Wink

Svein
Svein Wrote:BTW, what does Lora say about your gradually expanding railroad empire in the living room..? Wink

So far she has only once given me the raised eyebrow once. So no painting of the back wall in sky blue for the time being :-)

Grin,
Stein
Stein...looks like a lot of planning and thought is turning out a fine layout. Paul, regarding the highway (and other) bridge clearances, the "Loading Gauge", Wikipedia has a page listing clearance measures world-wide, including the US "Plate" letters and heights for freight - like the white panel on the end of Hi-Cube boxes, auto racks & such that is lettered "Exceeds Plate 'C', 'F', etc. here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loading_gau...th_America. and additional data on Passenger car clearance (many routes in the East, with its older alignments and infrastructure didn't allow "Dome Cars" at some time), plus a little historical info. While Wiki's info is policed , it's largely volunteer work - you too can edit or publish information for others - so be aware, and verify if you aren't convinced of the accuracy. The US data looks correct to me. Bob C.
James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."