32nd street switching layout
Stein,

What's the capacity of the runaround? I'm trying to figure out how to adjust this trackplan for IPD box cars. If I could fit an NW2 plus two box cars (NW2 = 6 inches, IPD box cars = 8 inches, thus a total of 22 inches). Regular 40 foot boxcars are 6.5 inches over the couplers. Would I be able to shorten the runaround so that I could fit 22 inches on each end?
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Mike Kieran Wrote:Stein,
What's the capacity of the runaround? I'm trying to figure out how to adjust this trackplan for IPD box cars. If I could fit an NW2 plus two box cars (NW2 = 6 inches, IPD box cars = 8 inches, thus a total of 22 inches). Regular 40 foot boxcars are 6.5 inches over the couplers. Would I be able to shorten the runaround so that I could fit 22 inches on each end?

If you want to run IPD cars I think you would like this plan that Stein made:[Image: giles02.jpg]
Justin Miller
Modeling the Lebanon Industrial Railway (LIRY)

If you look at the grid marks on the bottom they are 1' increments. So the siding is about 2' as are the tail tracks.
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
ATSF/LAJ Ry Fan & Modeler
I have a similar layout design on my other computer. I'll try to upload it to the website tomorrow.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Runaround is 32.5" long (fits five 40-foot cars or four 8" cares), plus room for clearance when running around. Ends are 20" long (fits an NW2 and two 40-foot cars with room to spare).

You of course can take 4" away from the central runaround to add to the ends. Or make the leftmost tail one car length shorter (or just short enough for an engine) and use the space freed up for more space at the right end of the runaround. Or just add 6" to overall length :-)

Smile,
Stein
Well, got the first coat of paint on the fascia and on the ground. It will need another coat tomorrow or during the weekend, but at least things are moving :-)

Smile,
Stein
Nah - those freight house tracks just look wrong - too short:
[Image: left.jpg]

Let's put a narrower platform between track 2 and 3 instead, so we get the long and narrow look, and use the aisle side track as a set out track for the barge terminal (possibly burrowing a tunnel under the freight house at front left of the layout):

[Image: CIMG2118.jpg]

Yeah - that looks much better. Now - where did I leave that caulking gun?

Smile,
Stein
Worked a little more on the left side of the layout - I think I have a building setup here I am satisfied with now (although a lot of work remains in this area):

[Image: CIMG2144.jpg]

Picking up cars from the freight house:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj_ZamA2o...%20videoen

Smile,
Stein
Just testing some switching moves on the layout - I want to be sure that the track work isn't too bad before I spray paint the tracks, ballast and start on the buildings in earnest:

[Image: CIMG2253.jpg]

[Image: CIMG2255.jpg]

[Image: CIMG2248-1.jpg]

Smile,
Stein
Looking good, Stein! Thumbsup

Sorry I haven't come over with the magazines yet, guess I just have to kick myself in the butt to get going these days.

Svein
Have been enjoying switching using the new DCC controller these last couple of days. Now it is time to make some changes to the layout. These things I am not happy with with the existing plan:

[Image: 32nd-street-2011.jpg]

1) Layout is a little too low for comfort - would like to raise it another 2-3" or so
2) Layout isn't quite deep enough - would like to add 2" to the depth to give more room for the background structures
3) Switching lead for the industries along front is too short - would like to add 2 1/2 - 3 feet to the switching lead
4) I would like to add couple of extra destinations, and maybe a road crossing.

Raising the existing layout 2" would make the bottom of the layout high enough that a further 3 foot extension could be added at the right, passing over the computer monitor at my desk. The extra depth for background scenery could be made by simply inserting some 2" blue foam along the rear of the layout, glued to the back of the layout. I should have a couple of extra turnouts and some flex track downstairs.

This is what I am currently thinking for an extension:
[Image: 32nd-street-2012.jpg]

Tomorrow I'll find something to use to raise the layout 2" and move it 2" out from the wall. Then I'll make an extension section and and fit it in - if nothing else - I can extend that switching lead now, and get a couple of extra turnouts later.

Smile,
Stein
I like the arrangement of the buildings, has a real major urban concrete and brick canyon feel to it! Thumbsup
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Tyson Rayles Wrote:I like the arrangement of the buildings, has a real major urban concrete and brick canyon feel to it! Thumbsup

Thank you. Now, if only I could whip up buildings and scenery that looks as great as the stuff some of you guys make, and at the speed merely 1/10th or 1/20th of the speed you guys work at, it would look a whole lot better fast :-)

Got the layout raised so the bottom will clear the top of the computer screen last night - before it got too late to use tools. Need to add spacers between the rear and the wall , build the new section on the right and mount it on the wall with two more wall mounts today.

But it seems like the wife has made some kind of deal with another family about us taking the kids to go somewhere this morning, so that part will have to wait for the afternoon.

Smile,
Stein
The extension changed the whole look of your layout for the better. Thumbsup
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Mike Kieran Wrote:The extension changed the whole look of your layout for the better. Thumbsup

I think so too.

Have lifted the layout 3", added 2" of padding along the wall to give more room for background scenery, and made the extension section. I am now waiting for the glue to dry, then it needs to be taken down to my workshop and painted the base color before I can start laying tracks:

[Image: CIMG2469.jpg]

Smile,
Stein