Campbell Soup Plant
Since the subject came up on another thread about a soup plant as a possible industry to model and what they might ship/receive by rail, I spent a little time this evening looking for prototypes of the Campbell Soup Company (Umm, Umm, Good).

Results were a little disappointing in some ways. Their plant in Napoleon, Ohio, is no longer rail served; the line going by it having been abandoned, and the aerial views are terrible.

Their large facility in Camden, NJ, was demolished in November 1991 (here's a video of the demolition if you're interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh7Jqa4Xy_I).

They have a plant in Maxton, North Carolina, but the aerial views leave a lot to be desired and I couldn't tell much about it: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=2120+Nc+Hi...0&t=h&z=17. There may even be a separate industry located next to it, as some aerial views show what appear to be empty gons on some tracks.

They also had plant in Chicago, IL, with a water tower that looked like a can of Campbell Soup http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidwilson...482430099/, but looks like it's been demolished too. The water tower looking like a soup can makes me think of the Dixie Cup Plant in Lexington, KY, with it's Dixie Cup water tower that is a local landmark.

However, their plant in Paris, Texas, does have good views and is rather interesting: http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=pmf5wm7...orm=LMLTCC
Looking at the facility, on the east side there are two separate tracks.

Starting at the south end of the facility, is a single ended spur where box cars appear to be loaded/unloaded at a rather interesting little structure that is open on the track side and with a ramp leading up to it on the road side. Neat little structure in and of itself. Looks like it handles two cars at a time with several more available and room to move them down for loading/unloading.

Moving north from that track, is a double ended siding with 4 tank car spots within a fenced area and what appears to be a corn syrup tank car on spot.

On the north side of the plant there is another track that splits in to two tracks where pressure differential type covered hoppers are being unloaded at the end of those tracks inside a covered shed. If you look closely, you can see the end of a covered hopper in the shed.

Just north of that track is yet another spur that splits in to several spurs that are obviously no longer in use. It looks like two tracks might have gone inside the structure at one time or perhaps went around to the west side of the structure to the shipping dock area; unfortunately now handled by truck. The building appears to have been expanded and covers where the tracks originally went.

Located in Texas, they would have a good local supply of meat and vegetables for using in their soups, so the need for them receiving produce or meat by rail wouldn't be too likely. Canstock and packaging materials might be received but some one in the area would have to verify if those commodities are received by rail or truck.

Campbell also has some plants in Canada, but I haven't tried to look at any of them.

The Paris, TX plant is a large facility and if someone was interested in modeling it, it could easily be the basis for a complete layout.

This little project reminded me of an interview I once saw on TV with Michael Landon. He said that he worked in a soup plant for a while and after having worked there, he never again would eat canned soup! Didn't mention which company he worked for, but I hope it wasn't Campbell!
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
FCIN Wrote:Their plant in Napoleon, Ohio, (I believe that was their first plant)

It wasn't.

Quote:...looks like it is no longer rail served

It's not.
Thanks for the "on location" update! I'll edit the post to correct this.
Ed
The Paris, TX plant is a large facility and if someone was interested in modeling it, it could easily be the basis for a complete layout.
-----------------------------------
Indeed it could be..I can vision a older EMD or Alco switcher as the plant switch engine.A large enough layout could keep the operator fairly busy for a hour or two.

If I were to model a Campbell Soup plant I would more then likely use this
with Campbells Soup writen on the water tower.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-3178">http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-3178</a><!-- m -->
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Don't forget to ship in cans by the thousands ready to be filled and sealed. Most food and beverage plants do not make their own containers.
Ed:

What a great model that Campbell Soup plant in Texas would make and how easy to model.
Because the boxcars are now loaded outside the main building it can be modeled as a back drop
structure. Using a small, covered, trans-load building with ramp for the fork lifts to get in and out
of the box cars and a couple of separate tracks for the tank of vegatable oil/corn syrup (?) along with
a few cars of plastic resin for packaging it would be easy to replicate.

Thanks for sharing.

Barry
BOK Wrote:Using a small, covered, trans-load building with ramp (...)
Barry;
That loading/unloading shed at the Paris plant is quite interesting. Would make for a nice model to have in any number of locations. Been taking a closer look at it myself - well as close as I can look
Ed
MountainMan Wrote:Don't forget to ship in cans by the thousands ready to be filled and sealed. Most food and beverage plants do not make their own containers.

Campbell's in Napoleon has them made on-site.
railohio Wrote:
MountainMan Wrote:Don't forget to ship in cans by the thousands ready to be filled and sealed. Most food and beverage plants do not make their own containers.

Campbell's in Napoleon has them made on-site.

In that case tin stock could arrive by boxcar... Big Grin
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Brakie Wrote:In that case tin stock could arrive by boxcar... Big Grin

If they do, the modeler will need additional facilities to manufacture the cans - probably as large as the soup plant itself, and will need not just metal coils, but printing inks, paper stock, adhesives, detergents and other supplies essential to the manufacture of food-grade containers.

I have seen soup plants in action, and I have seen can factories in action, and generally speaking, the can manufacturing process is larger because of the space needed for all of the automated lines, stamps, dies, printers and transport chutes. Since soup cans have printed paper labels that are glued on, a printing facility is a necessary part of such a plant as well.
MountainMan Wrote:
Brakie Wrote:In that case tin stock could arrive by boxcar... Big Grin

If they do, the modeler will need additional facilities to manufacture the cans - probably as large as the soup plant itself, and will need not just metal coils, but printing inks, paper stock, adhesives, detergents and other supplies essential to the manufacture of food-grade containers.

I have seen soup plants in action, and I have seen can factories in action, and generally speaking, the can manufacturing process is larger because of the space needed for all of the automated lines, stamps, dies, printers and transport chutes. Since soup cans have printed paper labels that are glued on, a printing facility is a necessary part of such a plant as well.

Actually no other plant is needed..You see carloads of tin stock,labels etc can enter the layout via interchange that's how that Santa Fe or PFE reefer ended up at our industries,that how EJ&E coil cars ended up on our railroad or any foreign road name car we have in our freight car fleet..

The operation of a ISL is to emulate the prototype as it switches a industrial lead or branch and not to emulate the whole system so,the material would already arrived via a interchange point and added to our train at our home terminal which is modeled off layout since we are modeling a industry lead or branch.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

.[/quote]Actually no other plant is needed..You see carloads of tin stock,labels etc can enter the layout via interchange that's how that Santa Fe or PFE reefer ended up at our industries,that how EJ&E coil cars ended up on our railroad or any foreign road name car we have in our freight car fleet..

The operation of a ISL is to emulate the prototype as it switches a industrial lead or branch and not to emulate the whole system so,the material would already arrived via a interchange point and added to our train at our home terminal which is modeled off layout since we are modeling a industry lead or branch.[/quote]

so you are not delivering to an actual factory, then? Just moving cars around? I got the impression that this thread was about delivering materials by rail to a specific industry, which would mean a much larger plant if it manufactures it's own containers in addition to the filler food product. Otherwise, you might as well deliver to a phone booth and claim it's an entire factory and warehouse operation - the realism just isn't there.
so you are not delivering to an actual factory, then? Just moving cars around? I got the impression that this thread was about delivering materials by rail to a specific industry, which would mean a much larger plant if it manufactures it's own containers in addition to the filler food product. Otherwise, you might as well deliver to a phone booth and claim it's an entire factory and warehouse operation - the realism just isn't there.
----------------------------
I wonder if we criscross some how?

If the manufacturing of the cans was done on site then you would still need the tin stock..Another building would not be needed-just a larger one or perhaps some building flats behind the "main plant" to suggest a larger complex since the majority of ISLs has limited space.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

The soup plant could be an ISL in its own right, soup factory, can manufacturer, and power plant.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://ourohio.org/index.php?page=campbell-soup-company-s-ohio-roots">http://ourohio.org/index.php?page=campb ... ohio-roots</a><!-- m -->