"Working on the Railroad", reruns back on
Yes, I noticed that the DIY show, "Working on the Railroad" is back. Just reruns, but for anyone that missed any episodes, I found them on the DIY channed at 3 AM Sunday morning. That's Arizona time, so that would be 5 AM on the east coast, 2 AM on the west coast. They started off with episode 5, I can't remember what 1-4 were about. I have some of the later ones on my DVR, so it will record all the ones that I don't have already. His other show on R/C models is also on in reruns, right before this one.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Thanks for the "heads up" on Working on the RR series, Don. I have seen several of the programs in the past, and found them well done and quite interesting.

Bob/Iron Goat
[
Lousy time slot...
MountainMan Wrote:Lousy time slot...
Yep, but that's why they make DVRs. I set mine a long time ago to record all episodes whenever they appear and forgot that I did it, then all of a sudden there was one episode. The last reruns were in about the same slot.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Don't have one... :cry:
MountainMan Wrote:Don't have one... :cry:
Well then a VCR should do the trick...
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Not smart enough to program it...and the Dish Network doesn't like them. :cry:
MountainMan Wrote:Not smart enough to program it...and the Dish Network doesn't like them. :cry:
The last one I got from the Dish Network was just about free. It cost $125 (in advance) including installation and they gave me back $100 credit on my bill. They extended my contract by a year, but that was fine with me. It is a two-channel recorder where I can record two things at once or record one channel while I watch another.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Don,
Thanks for the tip on Direct TV. I'm trying to convince my wife that it would be way better than cable. Icon_lol
I only know what I know, and I don't understand very much of it, either.
Member: AEA, American Legion, Lions Club International
Motto: "Essayons"
sgtcarl1 Wrote:Don,
Thanks for the tip on Direct TV. I'm trying to convince my wife that it would be way better than cable. Icon_lol
I'm not sure if Direct TV has a DVR, or if they use TiVo. The Dish Network has several different ones to choose from, some you can buy outright, some you basically pay a fee to have or just extend your contract with them. Some cable networks have the same thing. It's neat, I just program it to pick up "Working on the Railroad" anytime it's on. It will check and if I already have recorded that episode, it will skip the recording. That goes for any show. If you have it set to record something, say "The Simpsons" at 7PM every Sunday, and one night it is moved to 8, it will automatically change the time and still record it. If there's a football game on instead, it won't record it.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Directv has their own DVR and it works pretty much the same way, 2 lines in so you can watch 1 show and record 1, or record 2 at the same time (like those odd-ball hours that re-runs appear on!).

I haven't tried it yet, but Directv also has the ability to schedule DVR recordings via the Internet. You need to have your DVR connected to the Internet, and you simply use Directv's web site along with your account info to remote schedule shows... cool idea for those moments where you are away from the house and remember you forgot to schedule a recording.

Thanks for the heads up on the show... I saw it the first time through and wished I had recorded it...

--Rob.
I had Direct TV with a dvr that worked exactly like you described, Don. I had Dish network first, but the dvr I had with them was only a single channel. When I called to see if I could change to something that would record on 2 channels or record one channel and let me watch another. Dish told me they couldn't do that! Then a Direct TV salesman stopped by and he said they could do that no problem. My contract was up with Dish Network, so I ordered Direct TV. I later found out that my neighbor has a Dish Network dvr that works exactly like my Direct TV dvr did, so I came to the conclusion that once they got you signed up, nothing will ever get the company to come back to your house again. If what you want can be accomplished over the phone or through pay per view, etc. no problem. I discovered that Direct TV is the same way. Customer service is not a part of their business model! Verizon just put the fiber optic system into our neighborhood, so I switch over to Fios. I have the same sort of service with Fios, but I now have a better internet connection than the old dsl unit. Also with Fios I don't get weather interfering with reception. By the way I was having trouble with a dvr from Direct TV and kept calling in to complain because it would need to be shut off and rebooted about 2-3 times a week. Of course every time I called in to complain, they ran me through a reboot, which fixed it for 2 or 3 more days before it needed it again. I finally called in and when the tech person had me try to reboot it, I told him "Are you sure you want me to do that? I shut it off and unplugged it when smoke started coming out of the box! It is too hot to touch right now but if we wait a while for it to cool off, I can try to plug it in and reboot." They sent me a new dvr unit and the problems were solved.
Russ Bellinis Wrote:I had Direct TV with a dvr that worked exactly like you described, Don. I had Dish network first, but the dvr I had with them was only a single channel. When I called to see if I could change to something that would record on 2 channels or record one channel and let me watch another. Dish told me they couldn't do that! Then a Direct TV salesman stopped by and he said they could do that no problem. My contract was up with Dish Network, so I ordered Direct TV. I later found out that my neighbor has a Dish Network dvr that works exactly like my Direct TV dvr did, so I came to the conclusion that once they got you signed up, nothing will ever get the company to come back to your house again. If what you want can be accomplished over the phone or through pay per view, etc. no problem. I discovered that Direct TV is the same way. Customer service is not a part of their business model! Verizon just put the fiber optic system into our neighborhood, so I switch over to Fios. I have the same sort of service with Fios, but I now have a better internet connection than the old dsl unit. Also with Fios I don't get weather interfering with reception. By the way I was having trouble with a dvr from Direct TV and kept calling in to complain because it would need to be shut off and rebooted about 2-3 times a week. Of course every time I called in to complain, they ran me through a reboot, which fixed it for 2 or 3 more days before it needed it again. I finally called in and when the tech person had me try to reboot it, I told him "Are you sure you want me to do that? I shut it off and unplugged it when smoke started coming out of the box! It is too hot to touch right now but if we wait a while for it to cool off, I can try to plug it in and reboot." They sent me a new dvr unit and the problems were solved.
Anazing Russ, I had exactly the same problem with Dish Network. I had a single channel DVR and wanted a dual one. They were offering one to new subscribers but since I was a three-year subscriber I couldn't get one. I had to track down a different model at one of the local sub-contractors and bought it outright. Dish replaced it after it went belly-up for $35. When it went belly-up again, they offered me the one I have right now. It runs me an extra $5 a month, but now I don't own it. Once my contract is up, I think I'll take a look at Direct TV just to see if they have a better offer. And you're right, once they have you, they make it hard to upgrade. But if you don't have a working unit, you could move on, so that's when they start making offers.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
When I got Direct TV a few years ago, they had an offer for four rooms, and a DVR. Well, I only wanted two rooms and the DVR. I got the two rooms,(though they gave us four receivers) and no DVR. After a couple of months going back and forth with them, sending them copies of the flyer I got in the mail, I hadn't still received my DVR. Finally, I was so pis....MAD, that I call my state's Attorny Generals office, and faxed them the copy of the flyer. Two days later, I received my DVR. Sold it to a friend the next day.........

Also, you have to watch your programming. They like to add things that you don't want. I was getting basketball and football all accsess channels. They said it was part of the sports package. "Uh..Huh....Then how come I'm not getting the NASCAR channels?.....I'd rather have just that then the other two packages." They took it off right away and credited my bill, because I hadn't ordered those packages, and wasn't going to pay for them.(with the threat of again contacting my AG)

Other than those two incidents, Direct TV has been fine.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.