A Look At Slate Creek.
Here's the plan for Slate Creek Industrial Lead.

SC is 12" x 72".

Scale N Scale

Track: Code 55..

Peco Medium Electro-frog Switches

Micro Engineering weathered flex track.

Atlas C55 snap straights as needed.

There will be 2 non rail served industries.

Building flats will be used along backdrop.

Landstar Grains will used.

Walther's Superior Paper buildings will be used as separate industries..

[Image: SC5.jpg]
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Quite a lot of switching! Is that a tranfer table on the left Larry?
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Tyson Rayles Wrote:Quite a lot of switching! Is that a tranfer table on the left Larry?

No,That's a "drop,hook and go" trailer drop lot.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

So,are you in construction mode? I like the plan ,I wonder how it would look in Z. :mrgreen:
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
Catt Wrote:So,are you in construction mode? I like the plan ,I wonder how it would look in Z. :mrgreen:

John,Not yet..I have to pick up some odds and ends first.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Larry;

The portion of your plan at the back reminds me of this: http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=pnwtpw7...orm=LMLTCC although a mirror image.

I like the second parallel spur serving the two front industries too. Interesting design.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
Guys,Thanks to a headsup from Stein jr my current plan won't work..

I laid the plan out and it was like shoving a ton of track into a half ton space. Wallbang

Back to the drawing board or maybe plan this sucker as I build. Icon_twisted
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Catt Wrote:So,are you in construction mode? I like the plan ,I wonder how it would look in Z. :mrgreen:

About the size of a traffic ticket... Icon_lol
Hi Brakie,
I second Stein's comments and add a few of my own.
1) the yard lead at the left is way to short, here comfortable operation is at stake. A cassette could be very helpful here indeed; as on Lance Mindheim's East Rail layout. I always like to see the space not the trackplan only, so alternative footprints could be discussed as well.
2) The straight parts of the 4 spurs are way to short; of course the 4 sidings could be replaced by two larger ones, each accommodating two industries, but it does not solve the yard lead problem.
3) a longer yard lead means a major part of the layout can't be used effectively. The urge to be modern is counterproductive here. Just one trailing track, with or without a cross-over to facilitate a runaround move, would be a way out.

Personally i always like some explanation about the way you like to operate your switching layout. Fiddling cars from and to the main? Can the fiddle track be reached easily, or is it tucked behind industries? Where do you envision fiddling?; if that is your plan anyway.

Some posters just liked the plan as it was designed, yeah some like it all.
Smile
Paul
Brakie

I drew up your layout in Xtrkcad, I made a few changes such as expanding the lead to 2 feet, I also modified the spurs.
[Image: SlateCreek.jpg?t=1318756302]

As you can see, a 2 ft lead can hold a small switcher and 4 50ft cars, I don't know what cars you are going to use, but this should give you an idea.
Justin Miller
Modeling the Lebanon Industrial Railway (LIRY)
Justinmiller171 Wrote:Brakie

I drew up your layout in Xtrkcad, I made a few changes such as expanding the lead to 2 feet, I also modified the spurs.
[Image: SlateCreek.jpg?t=1318756302]

As you can see, a 2 ft lead can hold a small switcher and 4 50ft cars, I don't know what cars you are going to use, but this should give you an idea.

Looks fine. And if you want to, you can stick another spur going the other way (towards the left) at the left end of the layout, and either switch that as a facing spur with the engine arriving from the right pushing cars, or as a trailing spur when the engine arrive from the left pulling cars (whether it is a facing or trailing spur just takes a mental reorientation of how you think of the modeled area being connected to the rest of the world).

Smile,
Stein
Justin,I like that far better then my revised Slate Creek and there's enough room for a trailer drop lot,some scenery and nonrail served industries..

By actual measurement 2' is one GP7 and 4' 50' cars.

Of course that means I will need to drop Landstar Grains-no big thing since its a space eater.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Paul asks:
Personally i always like some explanation about the way you like to operate your switching layout. Fiddling cars from and to the main? Can the fiddle track be reached easily, or is it tucked behind industries? Where do you envision fiddling?; if that is your plan anyway.
-----------------------
I had entertain the thought of using a cassette but,since the number of cars being use will vary I decided to fiddle the arriving local on the main.

Here's my plan.

The industries will be switch on a rotation bases and no "work day" will be the same..Some days we will have no setouts only pickups other days we will have more work to do..The local may arrive with 1 or 2 cars for one industry and no pickups other days it may have 5 or 6 setouts with 5 or 6 pickups..

I plan on leaving a lot of headroom to switch cars instead of "wabashing" the work day with lots of cars..I done that before on past ISLs and it was more frustrating then fun.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

hi Brakie
my ideas in a drawing
[Image: 6X15CASSETTEBRAKIE01.jpg]
You are not giving answers on the questions, you more or less avoided them, except one. Your choice of course.
The crossover can be omitted, you'll only need a wee bit more intelligent fiddling.
Smile
Paul
Paul,I thought I answered your questions. 357

OK..Lemme me see if I can get it right this time. Icon_lol
------------------------
Personally i always like some explanation about the way you like to operate your switching layout.
--------------------
Like the prototype my operation will vary from day to day like I mention.

I will be using a MRC Tech II 1400 or my Control Master 20.
----------------------------
Fiddling cars from and to the main?
---------------------------
Yes..I will make up the short local on the main like it just arrived and pulled to a stop..
Can the fiddle track be reached easily, or is it tucked behind industries?
There will be no hidden fiddle track(s).I wish I did have room for a 2-3 track staging yard but,that's impossible for the time being.
---------------------------

Where do you envision fiddling?
--------------------------

I will make up trains for each "day" and will more then likely use small plastic storage boxes divided into 2 sections.That way I can rotate cars without that age old cry of--gee whiz there's that Chessie gon again!!

I will use removable loads.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry