A Look At Slate Creek.
Mike Kieran Wrote:Ed, what kind of Peco Turnouts? I'll try a few track plans.
Those would be Peco Medium Radius turnouts.

I put together a simple plan for him on the order of the Palmetto Spur to give him some prototypical switching to do when he's testing out the loco's he paints and details. (See this thread: http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic...990#p87990) Plan size is 16in X 8ft which is the size of a shelf he purchased this weekend. Doubt that the layout will ever get past the track laid and wired stage, which I'll do for him. Been trying for years to get him to even just put down a few feet of flex track on a narrow shelf, but for some reason he thinks he'll mess something up. Hard to believe with the outstanding work he does on loco's and cars!
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
N Scale Slate Creek revisited.

Killing time this morning I redesigned a N Scale 1x6' ISL based on my HO ISL lessons learned over the years..Its amazing what I overlooked the first few dozen times I redesign Slate Creek. Wallbang

The lead is long enough for a GP9 or GP38 and 3 cars.

[Image: NS2.jpg]
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Looks good.

Smile,
Stein
Brakie Wrote:The lead is long enough for a GP9 or GP38 and 3 cars.
I sure like the over all look of the plan Larry, but I wonder if you'd have room to work that first long industrial spur? Been years since I messed around with N scale, so I sometimes have a hard time visualizing the size of the equipment and how much room they'd take up on the plan.

Seems to me like a 50ft N scale boxcar (with Kadee couplers) is about 4 inches in length and that industry looks like it could spot 4, maybe 5 such cars. So you'd really be pressed for working room on that spur and perhaps even the next switch. Might want to consider moving those first two turnouts to the right and making that first industry shorter, unless you are planning on having a removable staging track on the left side of the plan.
Ed
Ed,The building in question is a 24" flat and like most industries there will only be 2-3 50' boxcars spotted at any one time.The other building is a 20" flat and this is why both sidings needs to be long.

Like this:

[Image: 007-13.jpg]

I could eliminate the 20" flat(that made me moan since I like the building) and replace it with a 14" flat and switch locations-the 14" flat on a shorter siding and the 24" on a longer second siding.

I been fooling around with several HO 7' layouts as well but,wanted to revisit Slate Creek since originally plan as a N Scale ISL.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Larry;

If you're seriously considering going with N scale, I think that I'd consider one of these track plans that Mike drew up - but stretched/spaced out for N scale. In the space you have available either plan would be really nice.
[Image: 6302685041_9b9e25dd0a_b.jpg][Image: 6305622847_677f4094bd_b.jpg]In either case, the track with the ready mix plant shown on it would be a team/trans-load track (lengthened on the second plan). Both plans have a fairly long switching lead for N scale, especially the first plan; which is my favorite.

Past week or so, I've been considering redoing my plan to one based on the Palmetto Spur plan, but lengthened and of course with longer industry tracks. Would probably have four tracks on it rather than just three, but I think the plan would look less crowded and it does provide plenty of operation. Even looking at a longer variation of the first plan above, drawn up by Mike. Love the way the lead comes in front of that structure and then swings toward the rear of the bench work.
Ed
Ed,As of now I'm not sure which way I'm going..I have new glasses and that helps with N Scale but,I also like the idea of Summerset Ry in HO and have designed several 1x7' ISLs looking for the right one for a condense Slate Creek...

I have stock piled a lot of N Scale that was aimed toward Slate Creek over the past three years and I ready have a half ton of HO except for the Peco switches and Micro Engineering flex track.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

As a update to this on going saga I will be moving in about 2 weeks(after the Holidays) and will have more room.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry