Progress Shots
I fianlly got working again on my Campbell Talc Factory/Fertilizer Plant. This kit dates from about 1970, well before the laser cutting days, and on balance, it's pretty awful, with a lot of hard cutting needed, terrible instructions, and often not enough material included to complete various steps. I laid it aside for about a year, but in the last several days I got the clearstory roof framing done:    
So it's close to a first coat of paint and then some roof work.

The UP S-4 is on job YZ20, the East Zenith Switcher, whose work will include the Talc/Fertilizer plant when it's complete. It also serves the Railway Express building to the left, which is a Yorke G Street Warehouse.
jwb Wrote:I fianlly got working again on my Campbell Talc Factory/Fertilizer Plant. This kit dates from about 1970, well before the laser cutting days, and on balance, it's pretty awful, with a lot of hard cutting needed, terrible instructions, and often not enough material included to complete various steps. I laid it aside for about a year, but in the last several days I got the clearstory roof framing done:[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
So it's close to a first coat of paint and then some roof work.

The UP S-4 is on job YZ20, the East Zenith Switcher, whose work will include the Talc/Fertilizer plant when it's complete. It also serves the Railway Express building to the left, which is a Yorke G Street Warehouse.

It remembers me old wooden boxcar kits from the early 70s... The last time, I built one, I only used the metal parts and used styrene to build as much as I could following th instructions and wood parts.

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
I love to see those wooden kits. A half done styrene kit is a bunch of plastic, a half done wood kit is a piece of art Thumbsup
Reinhard
faraway Wrote:I love to see those wooden kits. A half done styrene kit is a bunch of plastic, a half done wood kit is a piece of art Thumbsup

I do agree, wood a feeling you can hardly reproduce with other material.

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
Fine, fine - a wooden kit! I love this material!
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
I'm glad you like seeing shots of wood kits -- I have a number on my layout, some still in progress. I like so many features of modeling that I've wound up more or less by default trying to balance each thing out on my layout. There are pluses and minuses -- I really admire some of the layouts by guys like Reinhard, Sven, and Len Turner that concentrate more on particular areas and styles of operation, but if i did that myself, I'm afraid I'd get restless and keep tearing stuff out and rebuilding it.

Here's another Campbell kit -- actually, kitbashed from two partial kits acquired at swap meets, but I think you could do this from a single trestle kit:    
Nice wood working! Thumbsup
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
I Also have some wood and metal kits that I'll never get to, including old Walthers MP54 kits (coach and combine), and a Suydam round house. Lots of soldering and wood glue!
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Here's the new Walthers PRR interlocking tower. I still have a few parts to add and some touchup to do. (The chimney is also on crooked, and I need to bring the scenery up all around the base.) I went looking for prototype photos to get the paint, as the kit instructions don't give any info, and for most of their lives, the PRR structure color scheme was much more complicated than the colors the kit is molded in. Beyond that, by the 1950s and 60s, it doesn't look like any two PRR structures were painted according to any single standard (I lose patience with the PRRT&HS over this kind of stuff). I did find some photos of BELL tower in Bellwood, PA on the web and followed them in my painting:    
The station on the right is West Egg, so this tower will be EGG, based on the PRR practice of short, pithy tower names.

I've never, ever been able to focus on a single era, region, or railroad in my modeling, so my approach is different from guys like Reinhard, whose work I greatly admire. However, this part of the layout is aimed at PRR/PC/RDG/DL&W/EL/CNJ or early Conrail.
I got the Campbell Talc Plant/Fertilzer Factory to the point where the basic roofs are on:     There's still a lot of auxiliary shed and roof vent detail to go.
That looks like an unusual shaped structure. No box at all Wink
Reinhard
According to the instructions, the prototype was on Slauson Ave in Los Angeles -- old LA, for which I have a great deal of fondness, was not shoebox territory. The thing that inspired me to get this kit was finding some photos I'd taken of a now-abandoned Simplot fertilizer plant at Bena, CA on Tehachapi:     I will probably add some tanks from Walthers to the basic structure.

While I think the George Sellios school of modeling leans a little too far toward the cutsey-pie, I think the Lance Mindheim school goes a little too far in the other direction.
That plant sure has a lot of modeling opportunities.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
And there's more!    
That will be great project. Some parts are available for kit bashing but you will have to do a lot from scratch.
Reinhard