Carnation Plant
Here is an interesting old industrial building in Sheridan, Michigan. It was once rail served, but I do not know how long ago that was. If my source is correct, this is where they used to make the Carnation Instant Breakfast. I am planning on modeling this one of these days, I just need to get some more photos and measurements, and possibly an old aerial photo to see where the tracks ran along the building.
[Image: IMG_2393.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2411.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2403.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2396.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2429.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2395.jpg]

Here are two outbuildings on the property. One of them looks to be on a raised concrete platform. I am planning on going back once the vegeation has died off this winter....
[Image: IMG_2430.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2399.jpg]
Detroit Connecting
We are your
inner-city connection.
I've seen lots of buildings of that style. Nice reference for modeling such a structure Chuck! Thanks!
Ralph
I think your third pic is the old rail dock.
Russ Bellinis Wrote:I think your third pic is the old rail dock.

I agree.
I think you are right, but there may also have been a spur or two running either along the other side of the building or down the center area. The boiler was also coal fired, so it is possible there was a coal dump/drop along the back where the smoke stack is located. While I was poking around the back area, It looks like there were some tracks that came up behind the building along the shed that is on a raised concrete platform. I am not sure what those tracks were for -- I have to find someone who was familiar with the plant when it was rail-served. There is just something about this building that sparks my interest....
Chuck
Detroit Connecting
We are your
inner-city connection.
I just took the street view tour as well as the aerial tour. Interesting building, but it looks like most of the old rail grades have been built over.
It has been a long time since there was any track going to the building -- it sure would be interesting to see the track configuration during the factory's heyday.

Chuck
Detroit Connecting
We are your
inner-city connection.
Chuck I was reading Lance Mindheim's blog and he had mentioned a site I thought might help you. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.historicaerials.com/">http://www.historicaerials.com/</a><!-- m --> I haven't had a chance to check it out yet but I thought I would pass it along anyway

ratled
Modleing the Jefferson Branch in HO  on the Southern Pacific