Youtube clip of Hulett unloaders at work
Very neat youtube clip of Hulett unloaders unloading a ship and loading railroad cars : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RJfnk2S330

Edit: fixed name - Hulett, not Hullet :-)

Smile,
Stein
I've seen that before but its always impressive!
Ralph
That was interesting, and was worth the 45 minute download time.......once! Eek 357
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Yes it is a very interesting video clip of a now defunct method of unloading. I have seen it before but it was good to view again.
I noted a number of work methods and locations that would no longer pass a Worksafe inspection.
The operator had to clamber into the cab in the unloader leg, no good if he needs to be rescued, he also needs to routinely put his head out the window while operating, which increases his risk of head injuries or crushing accidents.
The front end loader had no operator cab and insufficient working lights, plus the operator was delivered into the hold of the ship by "riding the leg" a big no-no these days. The clean up crew were not wearing hi viz vests and were not wearing hard hats.
There also appeared to be insufficient lighting into thehold of the ship as it got dark, which increases the risk of accidents particuarly to the clean up crew.
In many ways you can see why the conveyor boom equiped self unloading ship has taken over, with its higher discharge rates and safer work environment.

Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More
Those Hulett unloaders are amazing pieces of machinery! The night shots of the unloaders looks like a scene from a sc-fi movie. Great clip -- thanks for sharing with us!
Chuck
Detroit Connecting
We are your
inner-city connection.
Thanks for posting this very cool vid, Stein! The Huletts could be viewed easily looking out from the west end of the old Municipal Stadium upper deck. CP Docks is located on Whiskey Island (Prohibition-era name that stuck); until Conrail, EL (Erie) operated a set of Huletts across the old river channel from Whiskey Island, so for decades there were several of these machines in fairly close proximity on the Cleveland lakefront. I don't recall ever hearing of an operator being injured, but those machines look plenty hazardous for everyone involved. Would anyone care to ride into and out of the hold standing on the open clam shell at night in a sleet storm? Thanks again. Ric
I scratch built a Whiskey Island Hulett ...before Walthers made the so-so kit , and used the video as part of the pile of reference material I needed . The machines have fascinated me for 20 years and I did sit in a Hulett bucket displayed at the museum in Ashtabula Ohio ......very scary job and dangerous for the operator . Considering that ships were unloaded essentially by hand balming back in the late 1800's , George Huletts invention was a huge step forward .

[Image: PicsfromoldPC562.jpg]

Terry
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
WOW!!!! That's a great looking model Terry! Worship Worship Worship