2012 New Year's resolution challenge
The Big Blue 2012 New Year's resolution Challenge

it's been some time since we have had any kind of challenge, so let’s start a new challenge, one we can all relate to. We all have those projects that either we’ve started and set aside for something more important, or we have those that we truly intend to start but haven't yet for one reason or another. Most often, we have the material, kit, engine or car. All we need now is one more part or a bit more time and we’re off to the races. Well, now is your chance to get the incentive to go finish up that project. We need to all make some sort of New Year's resolution to do some of these things, so here's the challenge, make a resolution to get something done regarding your layout or rolling stock. Resolve to do whatever it is in three months or less. Post you resolution and progress in a separate thread, then at the end of three months, we'll have a vote to see who came closest to keeping their resolution.

The Rules:

1. You can enter any project on your railroad that you’ve either started and is less than half finished, or one that you’re ready to start but haven’t yet. This can be anything from building a structure from a kit, a kitbash, anything scratchbuilt, weathering or rebuilding a car or engine, finishing up your trackwork or even completing some other aspect of your layout like scenery or wiring. Just about anything goes, but you have to tell us at what level the project is at when you start and what the intent of the completed project is.
  2. If you're working on a club's or friends layout, those projects are also acceptable.
  3. Start a thread in this forum, "Your Screen Name, 2012 Resolution challenge," and describe your project in the first post. A start picture would be helpful.
  4. You can open your thread at any time starting Jan 1 through Jan 15, which gives you enough time to decide on what you want to do.
  5. Tell us what you intend to do as part of your challenge and let us know what scale you are working in. As usual, provide us with lots of pictures of your progress.
  6. Since this is a challenge of procrastinators, we are limiting entries to one per member. More than that would cause too much strain and confusion on a normal person anyway. Wallbang
  7. Because we never give away anything of value away, this challenge is open to all registered members of the Big Blue Train Forum, including the staff.
  8. This challenge is all about your project, you can have help, but you must do a substantial amount of the work yourself. You or someone else can take the photos.

The challenge starts on January 1, and will run until April 1. A poll will open after that date, so that we can pick a winner.

As usual, there are no real prizes, just bragging rights and a certificate from Big Blue showing that you won one of the top three spots.

Please post any questions or comments regarding this challenge here in this thread and we will attempt to resolve any issues here before the challenge starts.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
In the model building department, I have brought the "Pilot Schooner Phantom", delayed for almost a year, back to the workbench, now that the major work is done on the new modules,( most of the remaining work there is also ship model work )
I would be happy to post progress shots of phantom, but would do so with the understanding that, because it is a non RR related ship model it wouldn't be in the "competition". It also will most likely not be finished by the end time of the challenge, as there is a lot of "ironwork", and rigging that has to be made,and done, and a display case that has to be built.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Sumpter250 Wrote:In the model building department, I have brought the "Pilot Schooner Phantom", delayed for almost a year, back to the workbench, now that the major work is done on the new modules,( most of the remaining work there is also ship model work )
I would be happy to post progress shots of phantom, but would do so with the understanding that, because it is a non RR related ship model it wouldn't be in the "competition". It also will most likely not be finished by the end time of the challenge, as there is a lot of "ironwork", and rigging that has to be made,and done, and a display case that has to be built.
I see no reason why you can't do this. The challenge is for our railroad related projects, but it would be great to see the progress of a different type of model.

We are also realistic in knowing that a few people won't complete their projects on schedule, but if you read the rules, we are saying that we will judge based on how close they come to obtaining their project goals. For example, if someone completes 75% of a rather extensive project, is that better or worse than someone that finishes a rather simple project? That's what the voting poll will determine. This challenge's completion should be determined by the extent of progress, not necessarily by total completion.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Great idea! I think I'll finally take a shot at trying to create the safety stripes on the front end of my RDC that are typical of the NY Central and Penn Central. I'm not sure if I'll use a combination of paint and decal stripes, or what yet.....but I'll designate this my resolution challenge!

Ralph
Yeah, I've got a few ideas on what I need to do. I've been neglecting my layout for a while now, had a few health issues that kept me distracted, but if I don't put a effort into it, things will never get done. This challenge is my kick in the pants to get me going again.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
ezdays Wrote:We all have those projects that either we’ve started and set aside for something more important, or we have those that we truly intend to start but haven't yet for one reason or another.

I call that a "layout"!!! 357 357 357 357 I lost the count of my false starts!!

When it's timeto design for the club layout it's easy, but at home, that's another thing!

In the last three year, I swear, I tried!!! Wallbang Does it counts as a challenge to design a track plan, build the benchwork and lay the track for a small shelf layout (about 10' x 1')??? If yes, count me in... Someone here just sparkled a lot ideas in my head with his industrial layout. Something "à la Lance Mindheim", but in cold northern Canada in the 50's.

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
These challenges usually motivate me. In fact, this may be the perfect timing to get me off my butt and productive again!
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Wow!!!!!! I've just trolled through all the entries in this challenge and I am impressed by the magnitude of the project that everyone is taking on. If you haven't looked around, take the time to do so. It's going to be a tough challenge to compete in, but more so, it's getting a whole bunch of us to move off of dead center and get somethings done that we've been meaning to do for a long time... 2285_
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
ezdays Wrote:Wow!!!!!! I've just trolled through all the entries in this challenge and I am impressed by the magnitude of the project that everyone is taking on. If you haven't looked around, take the time to do so. It's going to be a tough challenge to compete in, but more so, it's getting a whole bunch of us to move off of dead center and get somethings done that we've been meaning to do for a long time... 2285_

That's right! A lot of fun to follow up! Saturday, I was comtemplating my challenge, feeling depressed. Then I thought about my "honor" here and it boosted my spirit! Few of us cleared stated they needed a deadline to get motivated.

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
My how time flies, but remember, we only have a little over a week before we have put this challenge to bed. Just think, April Fools Day is ten days from now, and I'll keep the challenge open until the morning of April 2nd when I've woken up, had some coffee and can see the monitor without squinting. 35
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
DANG!!!!! I haven't done anything on mine yet!!! :oops:
Ralph Wrote:DANG!!!!! I haven't done anything on mine yet!!! :oops:
Don't feel bad, I'm just about 95% through with my challenge and I'm not sure I'll get it finished. Even if I do, it's going to be something that's hard to prove that I did anything since it's all trackwork, wiring and ballast. Eek
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
One last reminder, this is the last day of the challenge. Tomorrow I'll check everybody that has entered and will compile some sort of voting poll. I will decide how that will be once I've looked over all the entry threads. Give me a few days to do that please.... :?
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
ezdays Wrote:One last reminder, this is the last day of the challenge. Tomorrow I'll check everybody that has entered and will compile some sort of voting poll. I will decide how that will be once I've looked over all the entry threads. Give me a few days to do that please.... :?

Hey! What happened to April 2nd? I'm nowhere near finished yet!! Misngth Misngth Misngth

ezdays Wrote:........I'll keep the challenge open until the morning of April 2nd when I've woken up, had some coffee and can see the monitor without squinting. 35

Wayne
doctorwayne Wrote:
ezdays Wrote:One last reminder, this is the last day of the challenge. Tomorrow I'll check everybody that has entered and will compile some sort of voting poll. I will decide how that will be once I've looked over all the entry threads. Give me a few days to do that please.... :?

Hey! What happened to April 2nd? I'm nowhere near finished yet!! Misngth Misngth Misngth

ezdays Wrote:........I'll keep the challenge open until the morning of April 2nd when I've woken up, had some coffee and can see the monitor without squinting. 35

Wayne
Well, I'm a man of my word... I just forget some of those words now and then. Icon_lol This is one of those "then"... Yes, you're right, April 2nd it is. Thumbsup
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and