My girlfriend's work thread
The pictures should be visible again now. I don't want to be unreasonable, and even though I'm very dissatisfied with US politics, it should not be at the expense of the Big Blue members.
Svein Wrote:The pictures should be visible again now. I don't want to be unreasonable, and even though I'm very dissatisfied with US politics, it should not be at the expense of the Big Blue members.

Thank you Svein, I can understand your being upset with policies that in the long run, will affect you. We here at Big Blue had no say in making those policies and judgments, and to be sure, we'll be just as affected by them as you. Since day one on the old Gauge we've made it our policy to avoid conflicts over politics and religion, and that has carried over when we started Big Blue. This is where we all come to get away from things like that, we are constantly being bombarded with conflicts on TV and in newspapers and even on our streets, and so we look for a comfortable Hidy-hole where we can relax and share our passion for our hobby with others. This is our safe haven, shielded from that which is going on outside these walls. I'm glad you realize that, and we are glad that things here are restored to normal. Thank you again for remembering this. Cheers
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
I'm usually not a politically active person, but recent activitities crossed a certain line and made me feel a need to respond. Unfortunately Big Blue was the closest one at hand, or as the old norse saying from Torgeir Håvardsson goes: hann stóð svá vel til hǫggsins .
"hann stóð svá vel til hǫggsins"

And translated that means :?: :?: :?:
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
The translation that I get is "he was so well", which I'd take to be the rough equivalent of "it was at hand", in reference to this forum.

Perhaps Svein can give us a more accurate translation, as his English is certainly better than my Norwegian. In fact, I'm always impressed by how well our Members, from countries where English is not their native tongue, are able to express themselves. Even the Americans do fairly well. Crazy Misngth

Wayne
The expression as written is actually more Icelandic or Faroese than Norwegian, as their languages are the only ones amongst the Nordic countries that still bear some resemblance to the old norse tongue. In modern Norwegian it would be "Han sto så laglig til for hogg", which is an old and incorporated phrase in today's Norwegian language.

The saga tells that Torgeir Håvardsson rode past a random shepherd one day, the shepherd stood bent over his stake, and Torgeir then lifted his sword and cut the shepherd's head off. When asked later why he did this, Torgeir's simple reply was "Hann stóð svá vel til hǫggsins".

Originally a way of saying one has put one self in an exposed and vulnerable position, but the meaning has changed some over time. A literal translation is "He stood so well for cutting", or I guess a better modern English version is Doctorwayne's "it was at hand".
In the US, we might ask, "why did you do it?"... the answer, "Because I could"
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
ezdays Wrote:In the US, we might ask, "why did you do it?"... the answer, "Because I could"

Eh, well, in a US brute force kind of way, otherwise not so much.
Svein, how about some more pictures of your girl friends work? It is really quite wonderful and we all look forward to seeing it. Thumbsup
Charlie B Wrote:Svein, how about some more pictures of your girl friends work? It is really quite wonderful and we all look forward to seeing it. Thumbsup
Yeah, totally agree. Cheers
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and