What are the things you hate to do in model railroading?
I have another thread where you can post the things you like to do, but here, you can post the things that are your least favorite things that you do in model railroading. I have my likes and dislikes, and there are even things that I dread doing, but have to if I'm going to have a layout rather than a big diorama. What is the thing you hate to do the most, and if you have several, feel free to list them all here.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Soldering over head laying under the layout.
Reinhard
The one thing I hate to do is trackwork. I'm not good at it, probably because I dislike it so much, or is it that because I'm so bad at it that I hate it? Either way, it's a job that has to be done first, but I wished I could put it off until last. I don't mind the wiring and soldering aspects, it's just getting the track down and aligned, and getting all those little rail joiners in right. Wallbang Wallbang Wallbang Wallbang
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
I'm not sure about hate per se, but i really dislike ballasting track. I am good at it, but I would rather be doing something else. Maybe I should outsource the ballasting....... Misngth

Chuck
Detroit Connecting
We are your
inner-city connection.
Trackwork.
More correctly, the re-doing of trackwork, until everything runs well on it.
At some point I have to rebuild the two "frogs" that allow the standard,and narrow gauge track to "go separate ways" without point rails that are thrown.
The rest of it is more a matter of being in the mood, than like or dislike.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Trackwork for me as well. When I was tacking down Atlas snap track, I liked it. Flextrack is okay, but I had to handlay everything on my current layout. I am proud of my handlaid work, but it is tedious and took awhile. I still have one more dual-gauge switch to build and I am not looking forward to it. If prefab code 55 HOn3 track components were more readily available, I probably would have gone that route.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
HI..

Planning a new layout... Enough to drive me too Cheers

AuzzeMit
Wiring. I don't trust myself. :?
Wiring for me too. Tedious, usally uncomforatble because of access issues...solder burn on arm. Smile
Electrical and mechanical are no problem.
What really terrifies me is anything that needs to be "artistic", the bits that can't be done with a ruler and compass.

And getting rid of anything.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Wow, it looks like I'm not alone. There's a lot here that say they don't like to do trackwork and a few more that don't like the wiring aspect of doing a layout. It's a shame that the things that need to be done first are the things we dislike to do the most. Keep this going, it's good to hear what you don't like to do as well as the other thread as to what you do like about model railroading...
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Painting and ballasting the track! Ugh! Seems like it takes forever to do just a couple of feet and often ends never being completed! Wiring doesn't phase me at all and I usually can't wait to get that done so I can start operating. Getting a layout operating does have its drawbacks, as often very little else gets done! Too easy to make up a switch list and spend a pleasant hour or so switching; all the while day dreaming about what the finished layout will/may/might look like.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
Paying for the stuff that I need. Misngth

Mark
The wiring on my layouts is basic so I can't say I don't like it -- however. If I had to wire a bigger, more complicated layout, I probably would not like it.

One of the things I dislike the most is adding fine details (pipes, railings) onto locos. I've bought a couple extra-detailing kits to add more elements to two of my locos & I just can't motivate myself to do them.
Rob
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.robertrobotham.ca/">http://www.robertrobotham.ca/</a><!-- m -->
I had to think about this one because I like most things about the hobby , in varying degrees . I guess my biggest dissappointment has been the operating sessions . Having said that , I've only attended 4 or 5 and have wondered what the big deal was supposed to be ? They have looked more like exercises in confusion and futility so perhaps I haven't yet attended a QUALITY op session ....maybe I will change my mind on that one . Wink

Terry
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.