What are the things you hate to do in model railroading?
One thing that most of us can say they really hate, and mean it is, time. We never have enough of it to do what we want to. Then there's the things time does to us with respect to age. We all grow older much faster than we realize. Things we could do easily what seems like just last week, actually was ten years ago or even longer. Time plays tricks on our minds as well as our bodies. Our eyes and fingers don't work as well as they did back then and we can't understand why, or even accept it. We forget how to do something that we've done a dozen times before. No, we don't mellow with age, and there's never enough time, regardless of how old you are...
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Trying to come up with a track plan...is very frustrating,along with trying to figure out what type of lighting to use and where to place structures,and signals,etc. :? ...and of course wiring and soldering track Wallbang
Don Shriner
For Kadee springs, install them sitting in a dry bathtub with the plug in, when the spring jumps, you know where it is going and easy to see. train
I installed some Kadee couplers last month and one of the springs jumped. I actually found it on the floor a week later. Of course this was G gauge.

Run a foot of thread through the spring. When it jumps it doesn't go far and you can see the thread.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
When starting a new layout, with parts of the old layout, opening the things i have boxed to find out how many things [kitbashed] were broken or missing during destruction and reconstruction. Even after using bubble wrap, paper towels and wraps somethings just seem to break or are missing.....must be the ghost in my trainroom! Welcome
Welcome Glad you could join us Ward!
Hate is such a strong word. If there was one thing I didn't like with regards to just about anything really is, cleaning up!

Of course, its a never ending cycle too. Sometimes I spend more time cleaning and prepping my work space then I do working on actual layout stuff. Especially after doing something like airbrushing.

Then there is not getting everything accomplished when I want to. I guess this falls under not having enough time, but what I mean to say is, for example; Tonight I had clear goals to get my water spout, all the chains and rigging all set up and mounted to the side of my Tower. Well... scratch building the spout took me damn near all night! I mean it turned out well and I'm sure once mounted and painted it will look good, but I really wanted to get the other items completed as well...

Ah... I guess there is always tomorrow. Nope
Yeah, "hate" is such a harsh word, perhaps, "dislike" is more appropriate, but I think I started this thread about the time I entered the current challenge. My goal in my challenge is to finish off a lot of trackwork, something that is not at the top of my list of things I like to do. Something I did learn since then though, it's not nearly as bad when you only do a few feet at a time. But then again, doing it that way makes it go a whole lot longer, so which way is best to do something you really don't like doing? Keep at it until you're finished, or do only a little bit at a time so it doesn't grate on you for a long period? :?
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Having grand ideas but not enough time money or room to make it happen. Such as my own free lanced railroad(now has 9 locos with 3 more waiting to be painted and lettered------but no track scenery or rolling stock :? ) How about not being able to stick with one scale?
Since I've just recently responded to the "like" thread, I feel I can now respond to this "dislike" thread. I strongly dislike the wiring aspect of the hobby. I know it's not difficult, just unappealing. All of my turnouts are manual and I use DC. I know using DCC would ease the wiring problems but then I'm dealing with decoders and the like which I think I'll like even less. I guess I like the building part so much that anything to do with making the trains go seems tedious. To give you an illustration of my leanings towards building, I actually enjoyed ballasting my layout. :o In terms of making things look 'real', nothing else has helped that cause more.
Corey
I have recently learned that a short circuit can be a real pain in the, well we won't go there. Two weeks ago my system shut down. After a couple of days I finally discovered the cloth around the roller in my center line car was mysteriously gone. Oh I do have a mouse problem. Last night I went out to run some trains and another short somewhere. Curse Wallbang Curse Wallbang
Les
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/">http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/</a><!-- m --> Check it out
http://www.youtube.com/lesterperry/
Hmmmm....Missed the first go-around of this thread...
What I do hate...is cleaning up the mess I tend to make when working on anything RR-related... Wallbang
Gus (LC&P).
I am going to have to go with planning. I am horrible at track planning. I think it is the compromise. I don't want to lose any elements, but I don't want a spaghetti bowl either. Following that is the shortage of time, space, money and drive. I never have enough of any.

Matt
Don't follow me, I'm lost too.
train_guy Wrote:Trying to come up with a track plan...is very frustrating,along with trying to figure out what type of lighting to use and where to place structures,and signals,etc. :? ...and of course wiring and soldering track Wallbang

Agreed!! This is the one thing I hate the most.
Icon_lol Where I spent the better part of my "professional " life, repairing electronic equipment, and micro-processor controlled electromechanical devices, any time I pick up a soldering iron, and wire, it feels like that dirty four letter word, ending in 'K' - - - - - WORK !!!!! This is supposed to be a hobby ! 357

Then comes "track planning", which I gave up years ago. Now, the track goes where "Nature" forces it to go, or a bridge gets built. The On30 switchback modules, are an exception to that, I needed to draw up a plan to be sure I could fit it all in the 14' X 24" space, and be able to move as many cars at a time as possible. ( that's effectively a 7' X 12" space in HO )

Lastly, hand spiking rail to wood ties ! Shoot Curse Shoot
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!