Shipbuilding Yard
What kind of rail operations could be modeled in a shipbuilding yard?

A WWII naval yard?

A WWII ammunition yard such as the one in Philadelphia?

A Liberty Ship production line such as Kaiser operated?

Seems to me a lot of switching and crane operations would be involved.

Conversely, what would be the possibilities of a wrecking or refit and repair yard, which would include bring in new equipment from armor and ammo to entire gun turrets, turbines, barrels, propellers, etc.?

If you could animate your cranes to compliment your operations...?
Sometime in 2000 there was a layout featured that had all of that. I remember it as it was part of the 2000 national show In San Jose. I'm not sure which issue it was though. Well worth your time to look at a copy of it if you can

On second thought, it would have been before the National show so it could have been the last part of 99 too. All my issues are packed up due to a recent move or I would look it up.

ratled
Modleing the Jefferson Branch in HO  on the Southern Pacific
There was a guy in Model Railroader, Howard Lloyd, that did a layout with a small drydock that assembled WW2 landing craft. I was actually thinking of doing an ISL of a shipyard/dry dock that fabricates and repairs barges. I figure that this could be done with 3-6 cars per day. A mixture of flat cars, gondolas, box cars, and tank cars (paint, propane, or sealant).
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Brooklyn Navy Yard!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.trainweb.org/bedt/milrr/bny.html">http://www.trainweb.org/bedt/milrr/bny.html</a><!-- m -->
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://members.trainweb.com/bedt/milrr/BNYMap.html">http://members.trainweb.com/bedt/milrr/BNYMap.html</a><!-- m -->
Excellent post! A terrific layout for those who like that sort of thing, with opportunities for many different ship models as well.
MountainMan Wrote:Excellent post! A terrific layout for those who like that sort of thing, with opportunities for many different ship models as well.

You could add the conning tower of a German U Boat that entered the ship yard and took photos dived and proceed to Norfolk to take photos-this was in early 1942.The plan was to bomb both ship yards by V1 rockets launch from specially equipped U Boats but,of course that never happen because the Führer turned his thoughts toward "Operation Barbarossa" schedule for June 22,1941..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Lindberg makes a "Bobtail Cruiser" Kit, which is the Inshore Fire Support Ship USS Carronade IFS-1. It is close enough to be used in an N scale shipyard, and is seen here.    
Just above the right end of the "tour car", the top, and part of the inside of the caisson, or gate of the drydock, can be seen.
This is part of a 2' X 4' N-scale module. The ship on the ways is the "Russian Trawler" kit from Lindberg, also close enough for N-scale. This particular shipyard is served by its own narrow gauge industrial rail line. The drydock, is used primarily for hull repairs. ( The USS Carronade model, is being "corrected", with details from plans, and photos. )
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Brakie Wrote:You could add the conning tower of a German U Boat that entered the ship yard and took photos dived and proceed to Norfolk to take photos-this was in early 1942.The plan was to bomb both ship yards by V1 rockets launch from specially equipped U Boats but,of course that never happen because the Führer turned his thoughts toward "Operation Barbarossa" schedule for June 22,1941..

That would make a nice Easter egg, but any Herr Kaleun who stuck his conning tower up in an American shipyard and revealed his position would likely be either shot or sent directly to the Eastern Front. 8-)
MountainMan Wrote:
Brakie Wrote:You could add the conning tower of a German U Boat that entered the ship yard and took photos dived and proceed to Norfolk to take photos-this was in early 1942.The plan was to bomb both ship yards by V1 rockets launch from specially equipped U Boats but,of course that never happen because the Führer turned his thoughts toward "Operation Barbarossa" schedule for June 22,1941..

That would make a nice Easter egg, but any Herr Kaleun who stuck his conning tower up in an American shipyard and revealed his position would likely be either shot or sent directly to the Eastern Front. 8-)

Actually he was following the Führer's orders and he was not spotted-remember Americans was still in a peace time mode and had no real clue German U Boats was capable of reaching our "invincible" shores..Even our Navy underestimated the U Boat in the early months of the war..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
The Arvern Bay Terminal Railroad was in the March 2000 and August 2007. A great link showing the traffic flow within the Brooklyn Navy Yard when they were building Seatrain ships is: http://members.trainweb.com/bedt/indloco/sts.html.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Mike Kieran Wrote:The Arvern Bay Terminal Railroad was in the March 2000 and August 2007.
Of which magazine?
Rscott417 Wrote:
Mike Kieran Wrote:The Arvern Bay Terminal Railroad was in the March 2000 and August 2007.
Of which magazine?

MR

ratled
Modleing the Jefferson Branch in HO  on the Southern Pacific
Sorry, Model Railroader. The 2007 issue has a list of ships in HO that can be used.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines