Running noise of trucks
So little is added here that I don't often look in the "Engineer's Technical Workshop", but I came in today and opened this thread. Reinhard, I think that, if a part of your problem is that your bench work is like a "drum head" amplifying any noise that the trains make, you need to isolate the track from the plywood. If the problem is that the cork has become "part of the plywood" due to being saturated with glue and ballast over the years, you need to isolate the cork from the plywood. You can't completely isolate the cork from the plywood because the ballast and glue will make a connection at the bottom of the ballast slope, but I think it would help to take up your cork and glue it back down with a non-hardening latex caulk. It might even help to glue fine ground foam right up to the edge of the cork before you re-ballast, and then ballast over the ground foam. That would allow the ground foam to act as an additional "isolator" to keep vibrations from being transferred from the trains to the plywood. Since you have a history of tearing up your layout and rebuilding it when it is finished because it is obvious that your favorite part of the hobby is building the structures and scenery, I suspect that it is only a matter of time before you start over on your layout. When you do it again, take up a section of cork and try the caulk to see if you can quiet that section down. If it works for one section, say 3 feet or so, then you can do the entire layout that way. Silicone would also work, but silicone tends to be a lot more permanent and more difficult to remove than the caulk if you want to move tracks around.

I remember an article in Model Railroader a couple of years ago where the author tested different methods of installing roadbed and track to see what would do the best job of eliminating noise transfer from the track to the bench work. He found the most effective was cork glued to "camper tape" if I remember correctly. I don't know if they sell camper tape in Europe. Here in North America it is popular to mount a slide in camper to a pick up truck. I think in Europe small trailers or small van conversions are probably more popular. When a slide in camper is mounted in a large American pick up, they use a product called camper tape that is foam rubber about 1/4 inch thick with glue on one side that glues to the top of the pick up bed. The slide in camper then rides on the foam to isolate the camper from the truck.
Russ, your comments about the layout are all so very true. But I started this thread to discuss and may be to understand the causes of noise prevention other than the layout. Even with my for from ideal layout is the noise produced by different engines of different brands remarkable. We all know the two prominent sources in the engine are the motor and the gear. But I noticed there are some engines that hit the drum much less than others.
A good example are Atlas GP38 vs. Athearn RTR CF7 WITH a perfect running Kato motor.
Running on perfect track (rubber cushion) are both engines very quit. But on the layout runs the CF7 like on a drum while the GP38 runs like on rubber tires. You will fine in the posting from " by Sumpter250 on 09 Feb 2012, 19:59" a possible solution how the truck design make engines run different on the same kind of roadbed.
Reinhard