Building "Clearwater Industries"
shortliner Wrote:Thomas - another great industry - I have to ask - what did you use to make the tyre (tire?) piles?

Hi shortliner,

I copied tires from trucks and cars using latex to build a mold and epoxid to make tires.
Thanks for that - I think there may be some mould making in my future!
Next to build was the landing stage.
I doubled inlay, colored it and cut it into small stripes with the scalpel.
I panted barrels - each with other rings of color to make it look a litte more rough and ready
and glued them upside down to small pine bars.
After that I glued the inlay strips to the pine bars.

[Image: IMG_0054-1024.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0053-1024.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0055-1024.jpg]
The dock

was the creative job. I built the walls with plaster, waited until they dried a little and then
I scored the fugues with a graver. The result were the stones in the walls.
After brushing them a little with different colors I spent them a light blue wash to
imitate tides.
I glued small frames of matches to the base of the dock and colored it too.
I made cubes from modeling clay to preserve the frames from epoxy which I poured
into the dock. Here the footbridge (is that the correct vocabulary?) will find
it´s place later.
As you can see I arranged the bridge for the railroad removable to reach every point
of my layout to make it looking fine!

The footbridge (?) was rarely installed when the first nudes came to enjoy the hot sun
and the warm harbor water .... Wink

By the way: I do not have any pics of building the footbridge (?) but I can tell you
in a few words how I produced it:
I went collecting rocket battens on new year, sawed and glued them and painted them
whith different browns and brushed them at last with a little white, that´s all.

regards Thomas

[Image: IMG_0057-1024.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0058-1024.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0060-1024.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0062-1024.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0110-1024.jpg]
It looks fine but what is the purpose of the colored dots on the water?
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Tyson Rayles Wrote:It looks fine but what is the purpose of the colored dots on the water?

Hi Mike,

I think your'e talking about the pinheads in the modeling clay - are'nt you?
Their purpose is to prevent the clay from flooding when the epoxy flows in!

regards Thomas
Thomas,

You did a great job on the sea wall and I especially like the transition of the canal to the harbor with the dam. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Mark
Thomas: "prevent the clay from flooding" do you mean "floating"?
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
BR60103 Wrote:Thomas: "prevent the clay from flooding" do you mean "floating"?

May be - I try to explain it in different words.
In Germany you say "aufschwimmen" when you want to express that something liquid
fills a room or area and something lying on the floor will rise with the liquid because
it is not heavy enough to stay on the ground.

The Internet dictionary "leo.org" suggested the following word:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://dict.leo.org/ende?lp=ende&p=DOKJAA&search=flooding&trestr=0x801">http://dict.leo.org/ende?lp=ende&p=DOKJ ... estr=0x801</a><!-- m -->

So what is the correct word for this?

Regards Thomas
I think I see what you are doing. The little cubes of clay are footings or bases for the footbridge. The pins are holding the cubes down until the epoxy "water" dries. Yes, in that case I believe "floating" is the English word you are looking for. The scene looks great and the sunbathers make it more fun. Smile
Ralph
clearwater Wrote:
BR60103 Wrote:Thomas: "prevent the clay from flooding" do you mean "floating"?

May be - I try to explain it in different words.
In Germany you say "aufschwimmen" when you want to express that something liquid
fills a room or area and something lying on the floor will rise with the liquid because
it is not heavy enough to stay on the ground.

The Internet dictionary "leo.org" suggested the following word:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://dict.leo.org/ende?lp=ende&p=DOKJAA&search=flooding&trestr=0x801">http://dict.leo.org/ende?lp=ende&p=DOKJ ... estr=0x801</a><!-- m -->

So what is the correct word for this?

Regards Thomas

"aufschwimmen": literally to swim off. Yep, we call that "floating away" or "swept away", depending on the volume and force of the water. If it was the result of a sudden flood, we would say "swept away" to indicate that it could not withstand the force of the water whether is could float or not. 8-)
@all

thank you for answering and helping me to improve my English!

Regards Thomas
Talking about technics:

When I startet the project I was interested in a simple technic to throw the turnouts.
I decided for pushrods made of brass and simple switches to keep the position of the
turnout like my mates do with their modules.

[Image: IMG_9181-1024.jpg]

Leo, a friend gave me the hint that this pushrods are affective to damages because
they stand over the border of the module - so I decided to hide them:

[Image: IMG_9424-1024.jpg]

the technic inside the module is simple and effective:
brass rods push the switch which keeps it´s position and the switch is connected to the
turnout by luster terminals - pinciple of "kiss" = "keep it simple stupid" and it works!

[Image: IMG_9558-1024.JPG]

[Image: IMG_9559-1024.jpg]

The switch is needed to supply the frog with the correct kind of current!

Regards Thomas
Thanks Thomas, now the little colored dots make perfect sense! Thumbsup
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
NICE job on the turnout controls! Having them recessed into the fascia was a great idea too. Thumbsup
Ralph