HOn3 modelers?
Are there any HOn3 modelers on board? I have been selling off my HO locomotives & rolling stock, and buying HOn3 gear in prepararion of my new layout.

Bob
[
Iron Goat Wrote:Are there any HOn3 modelers on board? I have been selling off my HO locomotives & rolling stock, and buying HOn3 gear in prepararion of my new layout.

Bob

Yep, count me among the HOn3 modelers.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Thanks, Kevin... I checked the Narrow Gauge section, and it looked like it had been a while since any HOn3 threads were posted, so I was wondering if I was the lone ranger.

I've been surprised at the lack of information out there on this scale versus HO modeling. I guess that's the price of moving to the "Dark Side", huh?

Thanks again... "See you around the Yard"!

Bob
[
I havent posted much to the narrow gauge section recently because it doesn't seem like there is as much interest. But now that I know there is another narrow gauger here, perhaps it's time for a few new threads Cheers

There are more people into HOn3 than you think. So far, I have found the Yahoo! group to be most active.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
I've dabbled in it on and off for the past 15 years. I've built an MDC 2-8-0, a Grandt Line 25t diesel, a small string of Grandt Line C&S freight cars, and a couple of 19th century DSP&P freight cars. Along the way, my first kitbashes in the hobby were a terrible job of cutting down an MDC 34' boxcar to HOn3 and a couple of incomplete but decent conversions of MDC 36' passenger cars to HOn3.

Someday, I'll get around to completing the planned conversion of my MDC 2-8-0 into an accurate model of a Florence & Cripple Creek 2-8-0.

I spent about 95% of my hobby time and dollars on On3. Mostly the Denver, South Park, & Pacific, Colorado Central, or the Oahu Railway. I'm currently working on a Oahu Railway 2-8-0, a Pearl Harbor boxcar, and a C&S reefer.

Welcome to the NG world!
Michael
My primary goal is a large Oahu Railway layout in On3
My secondary interests are modeling the Denver, South Park, & Pacific in On3 and NKP in HO
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/">http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->
Other than laying a "third rail" to "dual gauge" the loop on my new HO module set, I've been busy with the standard gauge portion, and some more work on a N.Y. Pilot Schooner model. My next narrow gauge project will most likely be an On30 outside frame 2-6-6-2T with tender, for the WB&SP. I have 2' X 14' of space for the On30, and haven't figured out exactly what to build there. Because of the limited width, I will probably do a "switchback", it's better than a simple back and forth.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Iron Goat Wrote:Are there any HOn3 modelers on board? I have been selling off my HO locomotives & rolling stock, and buying HOn3 gear in prepararion of my new layout.

Bob

Bob

I'm one of them - I do both standard and 3ft gauge. Right now, I'm constructing my test tracks for both gauges on a 4x6 layout. I'm also working on a pair of HOn3 Free-mo modules. When the test track portion has run its course, I'll be building an around 3 sides of the room shelf that will be mostly HOn3.

Theme is a free-lance Coastal Oregon logging line come common carrier. I'm modeling the line as I believe it would have looked in 1900. Planned scenes include a dog harbor for shipment of the lumber to California, the sawmill, a log landing in the forest, and the interchange with the standard gauge.

HOn3 locomotives at present (with plans):

2 Keystone Shays (1 mechanism on order from David Hoffman, 1 to build)
FED 2-6-0 with remotor kit
Kidder outside frame 0-4-0T (to be base for 2-4-2T logger some day?)
MDC 2-8-0 inside frame kit (unbuilt, will probably be parts source for something else, too big for era and layout)
actively saving pennies for an FED 4-4-0 for passenger service
may end up with semi-scratch Class A Climax some day

Rolling stock is mainly kits with a few Blackstone unlettered flats, and Micro-Trains reefers and log cars. Passenger is a Labelle combine kit, a coach may follow when I get the 4-4-0.

Stuff that is too modern for my era gets used as stand-ins until more kits are built.

Fred W
....modeling foggy coastal Oregon, where it's always 1900....
pgandw Wrote:Theme is a free-lance Coastal Oregon logging line come common carrier. I'm modeling the line as I believe it would have looked in 1900. Planned scenes include a dog harbor for shipment of the lumber to California, the sawmill, a log landing in the forest, and the interchange with the standard gauge.
Fred W

The book "Mallets on the Mendocino Coast - Caspar Lumber Company", by Ted Wurm, ISBN 0-0650213-4-3, has some excellent photos of "Dogholes" ( dog harbor ). I am still kicking around the idea of using the 2' X 14' available space, in my basement, to build an On30 "Switchback to an under - the - wire loader, where a small ( 58' - 68' ) lumber schooner could be taking on a load of milled lumber, via "highline transfer". At 68' the schooner model would be 17".
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Sumpter250 Wrote:
pgandw Wrote:Theme is a free-lance Coastal Oregon logging line come common carrier. I'm modeling the line as I believe it would have looked in 1900. Planned scenes include a dog harbor for shipment of the lumber to California, the sawmill, a log landing in the forest, and the interchange with the standard gauge.
Fred W

The book "Mallets on the Mendocino Coast - Caspar Lumber Company", by Ted Wurm, ISBN 0-0650213-4-3, has some excellent photos of "Dogholes" ( dog harbor ). I am still kicking around the idea of using the 2' X 14' available space, in my basement, to build an On30 "Switchback to an under - the - wire loader, where a small ( 58' - 68' ) lumber schooner could be taking on a load of milled lumber, via "highline transfer". At 68' the schooner model would be 17".

I also have the book, "Mallets on the Mendocino Coast", and I've taken a lot of inspiration from that. The highline wire was actually used in more locations than piers or docks. My original inspiration for a lumber line terminating at a dog hole port was the book, "The Doghole Schooners" by Walter A. Jackson. Unfortunately, my copy was lost during the move to Colorado. The book is now out of print, and copies are rather expensive.

The track plan uses a variation of Chuck Yungkurth's Gum Stump & Snowshoe switchback layout. The doghole port (Port Orford in my case) is at the lower terminal of the track plan. The front-most track will be the wharf where an 80-90ft schooner (12" in HO) will be loading. Port Orford ended up working out very well as my prototype for the doghole port. It has some natural protection from NW winds, it's in Oregon, and today there is a small harbor at the base of a cliff on the NW shore which could be climbed with the switchbacks. The premium for Port Orford cedar over redwood - even in the 19th Century - would justify the longer sailing distance for the schooners. The final clincher was the discovery of abandoned log ponds on topo maps on the nearby Elk River where there had once been sawmills.

Fred W
....modeling foggy coastal Oregon, where it's always 1900....
Port Orford & Elk River Railway & Navigation Co - Home of the Tall Cedars
There were a lot of lumber schooners out of the Northeast / New England ports, and there were a number of "Stone Droghers", also.
While the practice of wire transfer wasn't much used in the Northeast, there's no reason why it couldn't have been, so the Wiscasset Bucksport & Schoodic Point will visit one port where the practice is used. The Northeastern schooners hauled milled lumber, boxboards, and pulpwood.
I'll also have to consider a wharf for cut stone transfer, and a 1/48 scale sloop for the stone drogher.
Big Grin Just about anything is fair game for modeling, in this hobby 357
Thanks for all the response... but I've been busy tearing out my old layout, and background area, and I'm getting started on the new area. Yesterday, however, I received my Blackstone C-19 Bumble Bee and coach set... and I couldn't resist running her for a while on a temporary track set up. My K-27 should be in any day now!

Bob

[Image: 006.jpg]
[
Well, my Blackstone K-27 finally arrived yesterday. She'e a smooth runner, and sounds great! I guess I need to get back to building the layout....

Bob

[Image: 020a-1.jpg]
[
Iron Goat Wrote:I guess I need to get back to building the layout....Bob
[Image: 020a-1.jpg]

With quality locomotives like that !? I guess you need to?......no, better get back to building the layout! Big Grin Big Grin
You've already got a great backdrop.
Sumpter... Thanks for your comments, but I'm afraid the "backdrop" you saw is only a 30" x 18" print I use for "photo op's". I am finishing up my contoured background walls at present, and then that'll be followed by a couple of modifications to whats left of my old benchwork. Bob

[Image: IMG_4747SmallSmall.jpg]
[
Looked at that last picture and thought........................
I wonder how long it will be, before "jumbotrons" become available for "backdrops" on layouts?