Another Noob
Hi everyone. Just thinking about getting into this hobby again. Well, maybe that's not totally accurate... what I had for a train set as a child could hardly be called a "hobby". In any event, I just stopped in to have a look around and see what's new.
Brian

Beautiful Southern Ontario
Welcome From the other side of the province! We're actually quite an international bunch, but always good to have another Canuck on the board.

What are you thinking about doing in the hobby?

Andrew
Welcome Aboard Brian!! Big Grin Big Grin Just look around and take it all in.. Then ask any questions you need to... There's plenty of helpful people here.... Like Andrew for example Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Welcome! Welcome
15 year veteran fire fighter
Collector of Apple //e's

Beatus homo qui invenit sapientiam
Hello Brian---welcome to Big Blue Cheers
Hi there Brian! Welcome aboard!
Ralph
Thanks for all the welcomes. Not sure what I'm going to be doing here... will have to wait and see where this goes. This all started when I took my grandaughter to a local train show a while back and she's been pretty excited about it ever since. I have to get a Thomas and the passenger cars for her now. Confusedhock: I've been looking around on another forum, as well as youtube, at the various layouts and scenery schemes and am just amazed at what some people have done.

And, then I went looking at various track, rolling stock, and locomotives, and then started grasping my chest!! I can't believe the price of some of this stuff, but then I guess you get what you pay for. Will be sticking with my DC pwr supply and brass track for now and upgrade as needed.

I'm going to start with the basic 4x8 sheet and put some track down and see what happens.
Brian

Beautiful Southern Ontario
Brian:
If it's for your granddaughter, consider a top of foam insulation board for the layout, possibly above the plywood or whatever. This takes pins easily and has a lot of other features. You didn't say how old she is, but a lot of the fun comes in rearranging things.
Oh, welcome from someone in the middle of the southern bit of the province.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Welcome to Big Blue, Brian and granddaughter. Wink

Wayne
Welcome to the forum! You might want to rethink the part about using the brass track Brian. Nickel silver flex track doesn't cost that much and is such an improvement over the brass it is well worth it.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string