Layout (room) tour, with lots of photos...
Obviously, those buildings with the "mortar" have been attacked by the giant Marshmallow Monster from Ghost Busters.

Terrific work! Thumbsup
Great work :!:
Applause Thumbsup Worship

Lutz
Thanks for your kind comments, guys.

I've not had much time lately for working on the layout, but have made a bit of progress on Tuckett's:

[Image: TUCKETTS%20TOBACCO.......%20003.jpg]

Wayne
nice Thumbsup
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
That's a great looking building Doc Thumbsup ---it's size is also a realistic indicator of what an important industry tobacco was back in the time era on your layout (30's)---today it would probably be converted into condominiums for seniors
Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
A bit of progress on the large curtain wall factory, but not as I had hoped.

After a lot of tedious masking, I was finally able to paint the "concrete" structure of the large factory. I used a mixture of about 46% Floquil Grey Primer, 46% Depot Buff, and 8% of a previously-mixed orange, used on my home road reefers - mostly Floquil Reefer Orange and Trailer Train Yellow. I would have added Reefer White, but have none of that colour left in my supply of Floquil paint, so the "concrete" is a little darker than I would have preferred.

[Image: Factory........jpg]

After removing all of the masking tape, I used a stiff paintbrush to apply the drywall compound "mortar". This is easier than the "rag method", and allows for a lighter application:

[Image: CURTAIN%20WALL%20FACTORY..........%20006.jpg]

[Image: CURTAIN%20WALL%20FACTORY..........%20004.jpg]

I used an X-Acto #19 chisel blade to remove the majority of the excess mortar, then finished with a toothbrush and a wipe with a dry rag:

[Image: CURTAIN%20WALL%20FACTORY..........%20003.jpg]

[Image: CURTAIN%20WALL%20FACTORY..........%20005.jpg]

While it's not readily apparent in the last two photos above, the clean-up left the concrete with a distinctly greenish cast, more representative of newly-poured concrete than of material supposedly more than a couple of decades in place. And, equally distressing, is that the "bricks" have taken on a too-faded appearance. I'll have to hope that weathering will make things more acceptable, as this will be an expensive project to write off. Curse 35

Wayne
All of the soot and cinders from the steam locomotives will have that building covered in soot in no time, everything will be darker. Thumbsup
Charlie
A bit of progress....

[Image: LAYOUT%20VIEWS...%20004.jpg]

[Image: LAYOUT%20VIEWS...%20005.jpg]

....still not sure if I like it, though.

Wayne
Wayne, I think it is great, but if you aren't quite happy with it, it could take a lot more weathering.
Charlie
That's a great looking building Thumbsup
Thanks for the kind comments, guys. Goldth

I actually wish it weren't quite so dirty, Charlie, but I'm not upset enough that I want to repaint it. Crazy Perhaps when I get some more industries in the area and some scenery, it'll fit in better.

Wayne
I like it... don't change a thing as far as the weathering goes.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
It is not "dirty" in the sense of weathering. That is just patina every older building collects in downtown and industrial areas. I like it!
Reinhard
You've cheered me up no end Doc, here I thought that I was on my own for being far too critical on my own work. Eek
For what it's worth I think it looks good even though it is just sitting on plywood at present, especially the photo with the boxcars in the loading dock. Thumbsup
Cheers, the Bear.
"One difference between pessimists and optimists is that while pessimists are more often right, optimists have far more fun."