Layout (room) tour, with lots of photos...
Very nice results ....clearly many , many hours of work and effort . Thumbsup

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
Thanks to all for the encouraging words. For some reason, this part of the layout is a lot more difficult for me to envision than was the original portion. I think that it may be the featureless nature of the plywood top, which means that structures can be placed just about anywhere. On the original layout, the various rivers and streams were, for me, anyway, "must have" features, and they helped to determine where structures could be logically placed.

Wayne
Will there be a model of some high water fall going from one deck to the other, another way to tie things together?
Charlie
Charlie B Wrote:Will there be a model of some high water fall going from one deck to the other, another way to tie things together?
Charlie

Only if the toilet in the bathroom above Dunnville overflows. Crazy Misngth

Wayne
doctorwayne Wrote:Only if the toilet in the bathroom above Dunnville overflows. Crazy Misngth

Wayne
Cheers Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
Charlie
Just went back and reviewed all the pictures. Wonderful work!! Big Grin Big Grin
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Train crews and the handful of citizens in Mount Forest are puzzled by recent events regarding new construction in the industrial district. It seems that brick masons have been at work on the large factory near the station, but the concrete superstructure of the building isn't yet complete. Equally disturbing is the fact that apparently no mortar was used:

[Image: Upper%20level%20layout%20views....%20020.jpg]

Another structure done in a similar manner has appeared, too. Apparently it's what's known as a background structure and was built of leftover materials from the larger building. Rumour has it that this one can be easily moved to whatever site it best suits. Eek

[Image: Upper%20level%20layout%20views....%20021.jpg]

Tuckett's Tobacco, on its designated site, also got a visit from the masons, but citizens are outraged at the workers' apparent carelessness. "Well, at least they used mortar....", one observer harumphed, "....but it looks as if it was applied out of the backside of an elephant!". Crazy

[Image: Upper%20level%20layout%20views....%20022.jpg]

[Image: Upper%20level%20layout%20views....%20024.jpg]

[Image: Upper%20level%20layout%20views....%20023.jpg]

Wayne
Looking good Doc---the mortar job reminds me of my painting skills Misngth
Doc - you could always tell people it was built by the Egyptians. They built the pyramids without mortar.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
Apparently, the outcry from concerned citizens didn't fall upon deaf ears, and the brickmasons have returned over the past couple of nights and done a little touch-up work on Tuckett's....

[Image: Upper%20level%20layout%20views....%20033.jpg]

[Image: Upper%20level%20layout%20views....%20036.jpg]

[Image: Upper%20level%20layout%20views....%20030.jpg]

[Image: Upper%20level%20layout%20views....%20031.jpg]

Rumour has it that the foundation painters will be next on the scene. Crazy

Wayne
That looks great, what do you use for mortar and what's your method of removing it from the brick face?
Yes , a nice look .....I simply push premixed joint compound into the various cracks with my fingers and then carefully sand the brick surface to remove the excess ...probably several ways to accomplish the same look .
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
I've used joint compound also but it didn't come out nearly as good as that. What do you use for sanding?
The result is excellent and the method is new to me. I knew only variations of a fluid to slurry wash that must be wiped off quickly. You let it set and sand it off later. Is that right?
Reinhard
I used pre-mixed drywall compound, applying it using a rag over my finger tips. It dries quickly if not applied too heavily - mine was a little heavy because of the need to work it in around the raised details.
Once it has dried, I used a dry rag to rub it off - this causes some dust, and I usually do this work outdoors, but with temperatures at or below freezing, I worked in the basement, over newspaper. Even the areas of thick application will rub off, although in some places, it was faster to use a chisel-type blade in my X-Acto to remove the worst of it. Because the brickwork was painted (Floquil Reefer Orange), sanding wasn't an option. Any areas where too-vigorous rubbing removes the mortar from between the bricks can easily be touched-up, too.
The mortar will withstand washes of diluted water-based paints, and I'm hoping that it will also withstand washes of India ink diluted with alcohol, too.

I used the same technique on the auction building of the Lowbanks stockyards, a modified Revell kit, formerly their Daily Herald building (and prior to that, Superior Bakery and an enginehouse, too). Paint is also Floquil's Reefer Orange:

[Image: Foe-toesfromfirstcd267.jpg]

[Image: CopyofFoe-toesfromfirstcd267.jpg]

The large curtain wall factory and the background structure made from leftover pieces of it will eventually get a similar treatment, but for those, the concrete portions need to be painted first. For that, all of the brickwork will be masked.

EDIT: Here's a link to some Tuckett Tobacco photos, one of which shows the original factory. The model isn't a copy, but when I saw the Walthers kit for Greatland Sugar, Tuckett's sprang immediately to mind.

Wayne