Layout (room) tour, with lots of photos...
Looks like you've perfected the "acid rain" weathering technique Thumbsup
Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I think that I was disappointed with it because it didn't turn out as I had envisioned it, but I'm starting to accept it.

Wayne
Doc, absolutely great work!
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
Quote:Thanks to all for the encouraging words. For some reason, this part of the layout is a lot more difficult for me to envision than was the original portion. I think that it may be the featureless nature of the plywood top, which means that structures can be placed just about anywhere. On the original layout, the various rivers and streams were, for me, anyway, "must have" features, and they helped to determine where structures could be logically placed.

Wayne

I found this to be very interesting
I am glad this thread got a bump. The more I look at this building the more it appears to be perfect. Unless the colours are coming out different in the photos than real life Its great. I will look forward to pictures with it placed.
I am intrigued with adding another level though it won't happen here for sure.
Charlie
I've recently been skimming through this thread, and have decided to add a few more photos of some more recent activity (well, at least in the last few years, anyway...I am slowing down).

There's been some progress in Dunnville, with scratchbuilt butterfly-type platform shelters at the station...

...along with some track ballasting there and at other trackside industries....

...and some views at the Languay factory...

Wayne
Always a treat to see your layout. Thanks for posting.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
...and I also thought that a few photos from Mount Forest might give a more up-to-date view of things, since not much else is happening elsewhere on my layout.

Here's the Mount Forest train station, a modified Walthers kit...

...and the team track...

Just a little ways down the mainline, towards the staging yards, is the LCL warehouse, as seen from the south...

...and a view from the north...

This is the coaling tower, a Tichy kit...

Here's the turntable, not yet finished.  It was an unpowered Walthers kit, to which I added a motor and gearbox from a scanner.  While it worked well enough for moving the turntable, it had no indexing, and was difficult to spot precisely.  I removed the motor, and will alter the turntable's shaft to increase the drag, then use finger power for both rotation and accurate alignment...

Here's the ground cover at the front of the roundhouse...

...which is partially Woodland Scenics "Fine Coal" with a little bit of fine coke-breeze added, along with some black powdered-tile grout.  The oil and water spills were done using multiple applications of clear gloss water-based finish for wood, from Varathane.  It's the same stuff that I used for the layout's water features.

Here are a couple of locomotives, this one an Athearn Genesis Mikado, modified with extra weight and all-wheel pick-up, plus a few added details...

...and what the crews call the "Lucky 26"...

... a Bachmann 2-8-0, she survived a 261' (HO) drop from the layout to the layout room's concrete floor.

Here's a look at the rear of the roundhouse, a much-modified Korber kit...

...and just across the track that leads to the staging yard on the other side of the aisle, is the railroad's offices and amenities for employees.  The structure is a printed version of a real building, from Kingmill.  I used gelled contact cement to affix it to a sheet of .060" styrene, then forced it into the coved corner of the layout.  I did the cut-out for cars and pedestrians, but it will eventually house a boiler to provide direct steaming for locos in the roundhouse.

The TH&B railroad, in my hometown of Hamilton, Ontario, was the first railroad in Canada to introduce the concept of direct steaming, which allowed locos to be ready for service much faster than building a fire to begin heating the boiler water.
The only evidence of the boiler house will be an elevated pipe over the tracks, with down-comers to the roundhouse and coaling tower, with underground pipes servicing the turntable and ash dump (the latter yet to be built).
I also plan to add a similar feature to the shops at Lowbanks, on the lower level of the layout.

To wrap this up, for now at least, here's a couple of photos showing what will eventually become the downtown of Mount Forest, with the Air Brake Division of Westinghouse in the foreground...

...and a view a little closer to town...

The layout is just downright beautiful. I can barely find words to describe it!
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
So many new great scenes Doctor Wayne---looking forward to the day we can get together again for a photo shoot on your beautiful layout.
Worship Worship Worship Applause Applause Applause 2285_ 2285_ 2285_ Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Thanks for the kind responses, guys.

Wayne
TRULY OUTSTANDING!, Wayne Worship Worship
I never tire of seeing your layout, or the progress you have made, so inspiring Worship Applause Icon_e_biggrin
[Image: sig2.jpg]-Deano
[Image: up_turb10k_r.gif]
Fine, fine work, I've always admired your ability to do what you do, and for sure, makes me a bit jealous.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Wayne,

you have done a outstanding job building this great looking layout! Worship 

Lutz,
(who wishes he will be thus far with his own layout)