Layout (room) tour, with lots of photos...
I love your layout! Thanks for bringing it over from the old place. Layout tours are my favorites! It is great to see where GERN is in relation to the rest of your buildings. Great job! Worship
Scott
wgrider Wrote:Wow your layout is humongous , I sure would like to see more detailed pics Cheers

I hope Doc dosen't mind if I add to this thread---here's another shot of #4193 at Lowbanks

[Image: 2009015.jpg]
Another nice one, keep the pics coming we won't tell Wayne. Icon_lol
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
Lynn, there are more pictures of the layout HERE .

Wayne
[quote="Ralph"]Thanks for the tour Wayne! Lots of great work and lots more to do! Smile I've seen many of the locations on your layout before but don't recall viewing the tunnel at Elfrida. I love the looks of your layout. It inspires me!

Hello again---it's hard for me not to respond to this thread---Ralph,here's a shot for you showing the tunnel at Elfrida

[Image: 31052006038.jpg]

[Image: 31052006040.jpg]
cn nutbar Wrote:
Ralph Wrote:Thanks for the tour Wayne! Lots of great work and lots more to do! Smile I've seen many of the locations on your layout before but don't recall viewing the tunnel at Elfrida. I love the looks of your layout. It inspires me!

Hello again---it's hard for me not to respond to this thread---Ralph,here's a shot for you showing the tunnel at Elfrida

[Image: 31052006040.jpg]

Dang! I've gotta finish the plaster-work for the scenery on that peninsula - the view above might lead folks to think that the tunnel's been daylighted. :oops: 35 Misngth

Wayne
Thanks for the additonal views Cn nutbar! Wayne, it looks plenty fine to me! Thumbsup
Ralph
Hello Everyone---here's a shot of CNR #4100 exiting the Elfrida tunnel,crossing the Speed River and heading to South Cayuga

[Image: 21062006025.jpg]
In the picture of the tunnel at Elfrida, what did you use for trees above the tunnel?
Sweet looking layout.
Ailes look a little narrow though. A couple of us "BIG" guys would have a problem during an op-sess.
Either that go on a massive diet before.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
TrainNut Wrote:In the picture of the tunnel at Elfrida, what did you use for trees above the tunnel?

Tom, those "trees" are actually a hunk of 2" thick upholstery foam, which I brush-painted dark green. I then added a few short twigs near the top of the visible edge and some poly-fibre and ground foam. This area will be mostly hidden by the facia for the second level of the layout, but I'll have to wait until that's in place before I can tell if it'll need more detail work.

Ed, the narrowest spot in the aisles is right at the end of the peninsula, at 24". The smooth facia leaves no catch points for clothing, but all railroad employees do need to meet certain physical requirements. Misngth Generally, I'm the sole operator, and I could pass my own clone at that spot, so no concerns there. I did see aisle widths as a concern when I was thinking about putting my layout on a local layout tour, though. Luckily Icon_lol , my wife vetoed the idea outright. Misngth That latter statement is one of the reasons that I suggest that anyone buying any of my trains in the Swap Meet Forum should, if at all possible, pick up their purchase in person - at least it will get you an "in person" layout tour. Wink Misngth

Wayne
Is that light at the Elfrida tunnel the proverbial light that burdened us in that other place..?? :mrgreen:
Has someone pirated it and brought its curse here..?? Shoot
Gus (LC&P).
Gus, it's a light from above, although I don't think that there are any Divine connections. Some lazy layout builder forgot to finish the plaster scenery base on the peninsula, making the entire "tunnel" well-lit by fluorescent lighting.
[album]349[/album]

While I have Masonite "guard rails" in place on both sides of the curving tunnel track (just in case), I purposely left the tunnel unlined except at the entrances. This allows me easy access from below the layout, in the event of a derailment.

Wayne
Doc, that is an amazing train room! How long have you been working on it? How do your non-railroading guests like it? I could spend hours looking over all the details - you would have to probably kick me out! lol

- Dan
Dan85 Wrote:Doc, that is an amazing train room! How long have you been working on it? How do your non-railroading guests like it? I could spend hours looking over all the details - you would have to probably kick me out! lol

- Dan

Thanks, Dan. The layout was started about....hmm, I honestly don't remember when it was started. However, I built this house in 1988, so it was some time after that. I tend to work on the layout in bursts of energy, followed by long periods of relative inactivity, and I've probably done less on it lately than I did before I retired. We don't generally have a lot of visitors - most are family members and most have little interest in the layout. That's probably why everybody here gets subjected to so much of it. Icon_lol I'm always surprised when folks comment on the details, though, as most of the scenes are simply roughed-in. I have very few LPBs and only a few areas with any appreciable amount of detail, although I do think that some of the more finished areas "show" well, even in their current state.

Wayne