"Salinas" HO Scale Layout
Sven, a very good looking addition to your layout.
I think that I should visit you with my train for running, taking a few pictures and movies. Very nice shots and really fine scenery!
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
Great looking layout! I like the bridge work...with the right background on the wall to blend in the bridge to the back wall, it will really be eye-catching. Really well done.
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Hello,

I am glad that you like it, many thanks!

@ Sumpter250

Quote:In your "overview"......is that a small, covered, traveling crane? Over the siding?

I'm not sure if I understood the question correctly. Do you think this crane?

[Image: img_6745.jpg]

This is a kit of "Vollmer", Walthers # 770-5727.

Bernd, you're welcome to come stop by with your train! Welcome

Sven
Member of American Model Railroaders of Eastern Germany (AMREG)

Visit: http://www.amreg.de/#Startseite
You German guys are quite fantastic -- the more pictures and movies, the better!
Oh Man Sven !!!!

great work!! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
greeting from the blade city Solingen / gruß aus der Klingenstadt Solingen

Harry

Scale Z and N
Hello,

Thanks to all!

Quote:I like the bridge work...with the right background on the wall to blend in the bridge to the back wall, it will really be eye-catching.

Yes that's true. I'm not a good painter! And if it looks good there to hang a picture, I'm not sure.

Sven

Hello Sven,

I really like how you executed the bridge! The tip on making the piers from foam, and them covering them with a thin layer of plaster is priceless. Very nice job Sven!

Donnell

Sven Wrote:Hello,

newstime!

For a long time I wanted a road bridge on my layout.
Now it was time to start this project.

The bridge is a railroad bridge by Walthers.

[Image: img_6671.jpg]

The bridge piers came from Styrofoam. These were covered with plaster and painted.
The road was built from a 3mm thick wooden board.

[Image: img_6695.jpg]

I hope you like it!

Sven
Hello,

I started with the next scheduled change on my layout.
A new diesel engine facility.

When I started my layout was to expand here is a loading station.
[Image: 2009_keller_1.jpg]

Later, it looked like this.
[Image: 2009_keller_2.jpg]

And later in 2011, I just put the workshop building on it.
[Image: shop001.jpg]

But so please correct me, it has not.
The workshop building has no foundation. It simply stands on the sand!
So what I have built new. The workshop building was left out. And from how it looks now!

[Image: shop003.jpg]

[Image: shop004.jpg]

[Image: shop005.jpg]

[Image: shop006.jpg]

To be continued...

Sven

A very interesting layout. I'm sure some other guys will chime in with a demand for more photos! (And is that a U50 peeking in?) But I'd also like to know if you're working on an operating scheme, as it seems to me that this size layout, like the similar ones by Reinhard and Len Turner, would lend themselves very well to some type of operation.
Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Thanks guys!

Quote:(And is that a U50 peeking in?)

Yes it is! Its an Athearn U50.

Quote:But I'd also like to know if you're working on an operating scheme, as it seems to me that this size layout, like the similar ones by Reinhard and Len Turner, would lend themselves very well to some type of operation.

My Layout is bulit only for switching operations.
In the future I will operation the layout with carcards.
I can not running long trains. The big diesels are only guests on the layout. In my mind the big diesels bring the trains into the yard, then here are the cars distributed.
To operate my layout I only need one or two switchengines.

Quote:I'm sure some other guys will chime in with a demand for more photos!

Once I've finished this last modification I will take pictures and a video of the layout.

Sven

Actually, the UP did run U50s on locals -- during the 1960s, they'd run about anything on anything. I have a video of a U50, an E8B, and a GP9B running together. But U50s sometimes ran as single units on locals, too. That's part of the fun, from my point of view!
Thinking about U50s got me to trying one with a Walthers DL640, which probably happened now and then. In fact, they do run well together.    
I have DVDs and photos in books of U50s running as single units on work trains and on locals, so I wouldn't be squeamish about how you use yours, though it certainly would be MUed with just about anything especially later in their lives.

It seems to me, looking at your track plan, that you would have two (maybe three) trains as part of regular operation: a switch job, which you suggest with the FM switcher, and a "hauler" that would bring cars to your yard from the rest of the world -- given your track plan, the "rest of the world" could just be certain tracks in your yard, and the actual yard from which your switch job picked up cars would be certain other tracks in that same yard. But I think you also have the oppurtunity to subdivide the local work into a switch job that switches the yard and the busy half of your layout, and a local that runs around the whole circle and switches the other industries. The U50 could run, with or without other power MUed, on anything but the switch job. However, in the 1960s, the UP tended to run a lot of power on its trains.

I hope you'll give this some thought -- tastes differ, but I think operating is fun, as it gives a little bit more of a rationale for what's happening on a layout, and there's no requirement that all the scenery or whatever be done before operation can start!
Excellent work & photos! The layouts are very neatly done, especially the scenery and where & how they are set up. I don't have much space as well so I'm limited to two small layouts.
Rob
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.robertrobotham.ca/">http://www.robertrobotham.ca/</a><!-- m -->
Hi Folks,

the new diesel-engine-facility area is ready to work!

[Image: shop008.jpg]

[Image: shop009.jpg]

[Image: shop010.jpg]

[Image: shop011.jpg]

Here is a overlook form the yard with the diesel-engine-facility in the background.

[Image: yard1.jpg]

I hope you like it.
Sven