Unloading center beam cars
I got some center beam cars and have a location where a dealer unloads. Unloading can be done from one side only without more modifications on the layout.

Question:
Is it prototypical to have only one side of the track prepared for unloading parts of the lumber load from a center beam at a small dealership? That would imply center beams are used today like boxcars much earlier when LCL was popular.
I am not very optimistic to get a positive answer but it is worth to ask.

Axe the bushes yes or no?
[Image: IMG_1438.jpg?t=1335712427]
Reinhard
A centerbeam must be unloaded from both sides. There's warning lettering, and a diagram for those less literate, explaining how the car will tip over if you don't unload from both sides!
jwb Wrote:A centerbeam must be unloaded from both sides. There's warning lettering, and a diagram for those less literate, explaining how the car will tip over if you don't unload from both sides!
That is also my understanding, sorry did not mention it. I mend if it is prototypical to unload only 1,2 or 3 packs from one side at a small dealership.
However, I axed!
It is technical a problem to keep the car in balance but it does not fit into todays economy. If a dealer needs less than a center beam carload he will get it on a truck.
Reinhard
Reinhard
You just need to "pave" the other side so your forklifts can unload both sides of the bulkheads. Wink
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
ATSF/LAJ Ry Fan & Modeler
Yes Sir, I pave Big Grin

[Image: IMG_1439.jpg?t=1335717436]
Reinhard
faraway Wrote:Yes Sir, I pave Big Grin

The important thing here is, that you asked, got your answer, and proceeded from there. Way Thumbsup To Thumbsup Go Thumbsup
It's always a good thing when a plan comes together. Wink
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Sumpter250 Wrote:
faraway Wrote:Yes Sir, I pave Big Grin

The important thing here is, that you asked, got your answer, and proceeded from there. Way Thumbsup To Thumbsup Go Thumbsup
It's always a good thing when a plan comes together. Wink

Pete, have you been watching the A Team again Popcornbeer
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.