Scratchbuilding a PS 5344 boxcar
Berhard, I would be more than pleased if this car would turn out only half as good as your fantastic models!

After finishing the second end of the car yesterday, the major bodywork is done now. Today I started to add the underbody details. Somehow it feels weird to put on all these details that you almost never see unless you model a train wreck Misngth , but knowing that these parts were missing would not feel right either.

I found some pics showing the underbody of a PS 5344. Due to the styrene strips available I can’t build it exactly as shown in the pics, but what I am doing is at least inspired by the protoype. The bolsters of my car are a bit too low, because I want to use Atlas trucks and that’s how they need to be then.

[Image: ps11.JPG]
Kurt
cnw1961 Wrote:I found some pics showing the underbody of a PS 5344. Due to the styrene strips available I can’t build it exactly as shown in the pics, but what I am doing is at least inspired by the protoype.
How can you live with yourself ? Nope Goldth

looking sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thumbsup
Steve
Steve Wrote:How can you live with yourself ? Nope Goldth

I tell ya, it can be hard at times 35 .

Countless little strips later and five steps closer to the mental asylum …

[Image: ps13.JPG]

[Image: ps12.JPG]
Kurt
Absolutley fine! This is modeling on a whole 'nother order! Thumbsup
cnw1961 Wrote:Berhard, I would be more than pleased if this car would turn out only half as good as your fantastic models!
[Image: ps11.JPG]

Kurt, thanks! Seeing your work - I'm extremly brim over with enthusiasm for your fine work, started with a few styrene sheets only. However this is a modelling job done with highest quality - also when plain styrene sheets are a simple basic of this work. However adding the strips, making different profiles - all this will give your model it's own typical character! I love your work!
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
Ralph, that is one of the advantages of O-scale. I would not want to do this in HO, the size of the parts would drive me nuts. 1:48 is a very good scale for scratchbuilding.

Bernhard, thank you. It is amazing what you can do with a few sheets of styrene, isn’t it?

The draft gear boxes are too wide to be prototypical, but Kadee coupler boxes have to fit in. I tried to make them look a bit like the prototype though. After installing a coupler on one end, I had my Geep pull the car around my layout for the first time – ran smoothly without any problems.

[Image: ps14.JPG]

[Image: ps15.JPG]
Kurt
Kurt, I admire the precision of your handcraft. It is amazing what you are doing with styrene.
Reinhard
Kurt, from the look of the wheels are you working in 2 Rail scale O? I am a hirailer my self but have read O Scale Trains magazine(mostly 2 rail Scale) and they have a lot of scratch building articles.

Great work Thumbsup
Reinhard, thank you, but to tell you my "secret", most of the time working on this model is spent sanding. Thorough sandings makes a big differnce, without it, it would look only half as good.

AF350, I only recently made the change from HO to O, so 2-rail was the logical choice for me. I know O Scale Trains magazine. I browsed through their PDFs of sold out copies, and found some interesting articles in there that helped me to understand what is going on in O-scale.

Weather was horrible today, so I had a lot of time working on the car. Here is the result: the roof.

[Image: ps16.JPG]

[Image: ps17.JPG]

[Image: ps18.JPG]
Kurt
Kurt, it is beyond amazing. You simply have a knack for doing great work. This is evidenced here, and also in the buildings you sent me. When I compare your scratchbuilt stuff to mine, I see a huge difference. Yours is just more accurate and "cleaner". Everything is straight and square. Your styrene work looks more like a casting than seperate parts. You are a craftsman in the strictest sense of the word.
Gary, thank you, but you are way too kind Wink .

I am glad that most of the styrene work (and all that sanding) is done and I can start making the hardware. I started with the ladders and the platform for one end of the car.

[Image: ps19.jpg]

[Image: ps20.JPG]
Kurt
WOW!!! That is going to look incredible when its finished. Thumbsup
Tetters, thanks!

Grab irons.

[Image: ps21.JPG]

The doors are from an Atlas Trainman car, and now with the doors in place I am working on the door tracks.

[Image: ps22.JPG]

[Image: ps23.JPG]

[Image: ps24.JPG]
Kurt
Kurt,
how did you fasten the low door rail to model? There are no bolts or similarly parts visible.
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
Very nice! Excellent work.

Welcome to 1:48 scale! It is wonderful for scratchbuilding! Welcome
Michael
My primary goal is a large Oahu Railway layout in On3
My secondary interests are modeling the Denver, South Park, & Pacific in On3 and NKP in HO
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/">http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->