handrails modification
anyone know the type of plastic used in atlas handrails ? need to modify several sets and was wondering if there is a solvent or do they require heat welding?
Jim
They are made from a plastic called delron. Its a strong, flexible plastic that will take a lot of abuse from us modellers 1:1 hands.
The best thing to use would be CA(Super Glue) for the modifing of the handrails. I would use the gel type as this will stay where you put it, and not run all over the place, possible sticking your handrails to spots where you don't want them...Like your fingers.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
eightyeightfan1 Wrote:They are made from a plastic called delron.
Delrin?
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
Quote:="tomustang Delrin?

OK...so I can't spell either...........
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
There is a "high tech" monomer adhesive, similar to Alpha Cyanoacrylite, the will bond Delrin, but not as well as you might want, especially when 1:1 hands are taken into account. ACC will bond it, but very weakly, and the bond can be easily broken with little force.
I opted for using the Delrin stanchions, drilled out to take brass handrails, or simply scratching the handrails,and stanchions, completely from brass. Solder bonds brass with infinitely greater strength than ACC bonds Delrin.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
eightyeightfan1 Wrote:
Quote:="tomustang Delrin?

OK...so I can't spell either...........
I thought it was a different material, not really delrin 35
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
There's a bonding agent called Cyano-epoxy which will bond Delrin and other engineering-type plastics. It was discussed in the July 2001 issue of RMC. It supposedly works very well, but, at least at the time, was also very pricey.

I do like Pete - cut away the handrails, drill out the stanchions, and install wire - I prefer piano wire, as it's less likely to bend if mishandled.
Here's an Atlas RS-3, with the battery boxes altered to match the prototype, and the handrails modified to suit.
[album]459[/album]

Wayne
I don't know for sure about the ATLAS handrails but Athearn's are made of Celecon (not sure about the spelling) which is another wonder plastic .

Personally I think the best way to do it is join the handrails at a stanchion and weld it together with a soldering iron from the backside.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
Quote:and weld it together with a soldering iron from the backside.
With a very low wattage soldering pencil, v e r y carefully. I'd recommend practicing on any sprue material if there is any. I use a 15 watt pencil with a tapered tip and use only the very tip for plastic "soldering" (welding).
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!