Ralph's ersatz steel mill
Val (Spitfire) is about to embark on constructing a steel mill from the Walther's collection and I know its going to be great! Some discussion of modeled mills prompts me to post these so I can link them to her thread without taking too much away from its original theme.

I built this mill a few years ago using cheap materials such as shampoo bottles, cardboard boxes, and corrugated craft paper. Had I known a little (or a lot!) more about steel mill operations I'd have constructed it differently with more realistic operations in mind. As it is I have a small yard in the complex that I call the "holding yard" where anything steel related such as coal hoppers, gondolas loaded with scrap metal, and coil cars can be set out or picked up. I pretend that the real switching of bottle cars, slag cars, hoppers and ore cars for the furnace, etc is done "off layout".

Here's what I've come to call my impression of a steel mill, an ersatz collection of structures that some day I'll probably re-do. Smile

This area is just a backdrop scene..
[Image: IMG_0690.jpg]

Closer now to the holding yard...
[Image: IMG_0691.jpg]

The furnace is visible in the background...
[Image: IMG_0692.jpg]

The holding yard that can also include boxcars for Kings Port Steel Supply...a vague facility that accepts deliveries for any materials that may support the industry via boxcar. I added this building because I had more boxcars than destinations for them. The brick building to the right is Canton Box Company.
[Image: IMG_0693.jpg]

Ralph
Ralph, I don't know how you did it, but I live very near a lot of steel mills and I must say your complex is right on the money for looks. Thanks for the pictures.
Charlie
Ralph, I don’t have any real knowledge of how a steel mill works, but from my modeler’s point of view, your mill is perfect. Even more so by knowing the materials you used to build it. I admire your imagination and your skills Thumbsup .
Kurt
Thanks for posting Ralph. It really does look like what I picture when I think steel mill.

I guess I will have to embark on some research for my proposed mill. Step 1 will be to pester Doctor Wayne. Big Grin

cheers
Val
Ralph I remember that and I thought then and still think that it is very well done! Worship Thumbsup
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Very cool, I can almost hear the furnace.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
e-paw Wrote:Very cool, I can almost hear the furnace.

Steve, I can smell the choke...er coke ovens. Eek

Ralph Wrote:I built this mill a few years ago using cheap materials such as shampoo bottles, cardboard boxes, and corrugated craft paper. Had I known a little (or a lot!) more about steel mill operations I'd have constructed it differently with more realistic operations in mind. As it is I have a small yard in the complex that I call the "holding yard" where anything steel related such as coal hoppers, gondolas loaded with scrap metal, and coil cars can be set out or picked up. I pretend that the real switching of bottle cars, slag cars, hoppers and ore cars for the furnace, etc is done "off layout".

Ralph, for someone with supposedly limited knowledge of the steel industry, I think that you've done a great job of representing it. You were probably wise to leave the iron and steelmaking end of the operation "off layout", though, as it would have eaten up real estate quickly. Your use and selection of materials is excellent, too: you've really captured, in my opinion, the look and feel of a major steelmaking operation.

Spitfire Wrote:Thanks for posting Ralph. It really does look like what I picture when I think steel mill.

I guess I will have to embark on some research for my proposed mill. Step 1 will be to pester Doctor Wayne. Big Grin

cheers
Val

I've been pestered. Eek Eek Misngth

Wayne
Ralph - Looks VERY good ! Thumbsup Mills are just collections of industrial shells with a lot of stacks and pipes arranged to fit the real estate available. Most of the mills here could not be taken in, except from an overhead view, being sometimes miles long/hundreds of feet wide, and next to a river (around here). Rail transport within the plant was usually a dedicated railroad (Alliquippa & Southern, Union RR, etc.) employing special (non-interchange) equipment, and specially trained/qualified employees. Business was done with the serving common carrier via "yard" tracks for set-off and pick-up, usually near the main track. Clearances, tight curves, heat,and special hazards exclude most interchange cars, engines, and crews. It's sort of like any other customer who has (large or small) his OWN railroad. Your construct is Wonderful, very representative, and beautifully accomplished. Worship Congrats !!!! Bob C.
James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Ralph, i remember this section of your layout, and you did a sweet job on it, if you ever get around to re-doing it, i look forward to seeing it come together again 2285_
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
It's beautiful again Ralph. I also remember it from years ago and I am fascinated by it now as I was then. I remember how it was built, but you know. for the life of me I can't now tell the materials you used back then to do what.

It was a great job then and it still looks amazing now. Waveof7
<!-- e --><a href="mailto:jmarksbery@aol.com">jmarksbery@aol.com</a><!-- e -->

W.C. & T. RAILROAD
N-Scale
Owner:
Col. Jim Marksberry
Ralph, I am so very happy you have that new camera.

Mark

(I had the opportunity to drive by the Bethlehem Works in Allentown, PA for years while the buildings still stood. All gone now. Your photos take me back. I can't wait 'till I can rebuild my RR and join the fun.)
The low relief, silhouettes, and back drop pictures really give you that illusion of depth and distance. It really makes it look a lot bigger then it is. Thumbsup
I almost missed that thread.
Ralph, your "ersatz" looks great and very plausible.
I spent my childhood in Belgium surrounded by coal mines and steel mills. The closest steel mill was 100 yards down the road and looking at yours puts me 50 years back in time.
The low relief structures and pictures really helps to give that steel mill atmosphere.

Jacques
A couple of photos of updates to the scene...

[Image: IMG_0796.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0797.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0774.jpg]
Ralph
Very nice ralphy Cheers
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.