Watch out! Black & whites!
Haha got the pic thing down i think Misngth

Attached Files Image(s)

Harry Check out my blog at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://newyorkontariowestern.blogspot.com/">http://newyorkontariowestern.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->
Big Boy #4005 on the outskirts of the town of Owen...

[Image: DSC03311.jpg]
[Image: sig2.jpg]-Deano
[Image: up_turb10k_r.gif]
Here's a westbound local approaching the Maitland River bridge:
[album]159[/album]

Wayne
Hello Everyone---Merry Christmas to all,hope Santa was good to you--- I really like the effect of black and white photos,here's a shot taken on Doctor Wayne's famous EG&E

[Image: doctorwayne2007067.jpg]
Terrific pictures.....!!! B&W gives many of them a more "realistic" look.... Thumbsup
Gus (LC&P).
A Penn Central GP38-2 switching during a heavy snow storm.

[Image: IMG_0622-1.jpg]

Ralph
No trains in this one but still a neat shot...
Glide Lumber Company, Glide, OR
Heavy snow storm
[Image: image.php?album_id=6&image_id=257]
Hello Everyone---hope you had a great Christmas---here's a couple more black and white photos for your review

[Image: 15331022.jpg]

[Image: doctorwayne2007082.jpg]
Here’s a couple of old B&W pics of the Matthysen Timber Co. RR – a 30” gauge Appalachian logging road…

[Image: dawg_fork_bw_2.jpg]

[Image: aged_photo.jpg]
-Drew-
"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly."
The Hairy Otters Mountain Railway

Climax

[Image: climax.jpg]

and logging Mallet

[Image: mallet.jpg]

Tony.
A B&W view of the crossing at Ulster Ave. and Volstead's Bar...

[Image: IMG_0653.jpg]

Ralph
Great shots Everyone---always seems to be lots of action around the coaling tower---here's a trio of CNR steamers waiting for a fill up

[Image: 3254026.jpg]
Lots of great pics.
Lets keep this going.

Early shot of S&W GP-38.

Attached Files Image(s)

Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
Wow! Thanks for the participation everybody! I never thought I'd get so many great shots out of a thread like this. Well done. I guess I should go dig up some more. I'm not sure how to phrase this question so I'll just blunder into it... I know that we can still take black and white pictures of things even today BUT, it's not really typical. About what time frame did the changeover from black and white to color occur?
Googled...

The first real color picture was taken in 1861 by a guy named James Ckerk Maxwell. But a color plate was introduced in 1907. In 1936, Kodachrome was the first multilayered color film. During WWII, color pictures were valuable, so all color pictures were classified. In 1960, Poloroid developes(no pun intended) instant color film and Kodak releases the Kodak Instamatic.Thats probably about the time that black and white was starting to get replaced by color. But, I remember those color slides, probably taken with a Kodak .Though, I have seen color slides of pics taken earler than 1960. Of course, except for those "One Time Use Cameras", film is being replaced by digital today.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.