Old Nevada Mining town NOT!! Fooled me!
My friend Jim is also leaving Las Vegas soon, just not going as far away as I am . He is moving to Laughin, Nv. about 8o miles so . It sits right on the Colorado river ( guess one could say he is moving to Colorado too ) across the river from Bullhead Az.

On the way back we passed by the road to Nelson Nv.--- formerly known as Nelsons Landing, a popular place to launch boats on the Colorado river. Nelsons Landing had been the site of a flash flood down Eldorado Canyon in1974, killing 9 people in the camping ground ( gee how time FLIES --I would have sworn it was only a few years ago --like 8 or 10 ) and access to the actual site of Nelsons Landing is not possible now , but Nelson is known as a historic mining town and tourist attraction and has mine tours and souviners etc and an "old" mining town with interesting buildings. We took a little side trip ---here is what we found. These pics are not too hot --camera phone --we had not planned a picture taking                    
Instant glue ? ---- SOLDER ---- NOW THATS INSTANT!
In GOOD PAUL HARVEY VOICE!!

NOW --- FOR the rest of THE STORY!        

I saved the water tank for last , because otherwise someone would have surely called BS --FRAUD --ETC-- long ago.

Anyone can see by the grades around here a train running down this canyon would be impossible -- not even a geared loco will go up 7 % grades and thats what the roads in this canyon are.
That and the spout on the tank would be blocked by the big lower platform.

SOOOOOOOO--- my friend and I were sitting and talking with the guy that ran the place and I noticed that whenever I mentioned as a modeler how much fun it would be to build models of some of the buildings around there , he would glance at his wife and kind of wink.

When I asked about the water tower --"he laughed and said -- guess the jigs up-- Ain't none of these buildings old. Guess you could say I am a full size modeler-- only thing left of the town after the flood in '74 was one of the old mines --the one across the street --in goes back in the mountain 3 miles of tunnels to it. I bought 51 acres here in '92 including the mine . Then I built all the buildings you see here , except for a few single story shacks here n there".

He went on to say he built the water tower and it had no spout for years but he was at an auction in California one day looking for more old props to scatter around the place and there was this spout -- NO ONE had any idea what it was except him --got it for next to nothing.

Turns out his main source of income is as a movie set -- 3000 miles to Graceland and several others, next weekl MCDonalds will be doing a commercial.

He told me to look up Nelson on Wicapedia and see if I thought he might have had a hand in getting that write up
. See what you think!

The town was the site of one of the biggest mining booms in state history, in the El Dorado Canyon. Gold and silver were discovered here around 1859.

In its heyday, the area established a reputation for being rough and lawless. During the American Civil War, deserters from both the Union and Confederate armies would wander there, hoping that such an isolated location would be the last place military authorities would look for them.

Nelson's Landing, about 5 miles (8 km) east of Nelson at the downstream end of Eldorado Canyon, is noted for washing into Lake Mohave in 1974 after a strong downpour in the regional mountains sent the runoff down the channels and produced a flash flood. There are five wide channels that run from the local mountains toward the river. The problem is that they all converge into a small outlet where Nelson's Landing was. The entire landing and village was destroyed and nine people died when the flood came through the wash. The wall of water and debris was reported as about 40 feet (12 m) high as it reached the river.

Much of Nelson, which was not impacted by the 1974 flood, remains today and is located way up the wash, away from the flood channels. The sparsely populated community consists mainly of privately owned ranch houses, and a river and mining tour business housed in a former Texaco gas station that has been used as a filming location for several feature films, including 3000 Miles to Graceland.

The community was named for Charles Nelson, a prospector who was slain at his mine in 1897 by the Indian killer, Avote.[2]

His place was never a gas station and was not even there in 1974, BUT it's a neat place to visit if you ever get in that neck of the woods .

AND some of his Movie set would be neat modelS.

There was one REAL thing we photoed on the way out of town-- Nevadas state animal.

Instant glue ? ---- SOLDER ---- NOW THATS INSTANT!