Bear Creek Railroad - News Gazette
Hello,

yesterday, I was for a visit at the "Lindscheider Igelbahn" (Igelbahn = Hedgehog Railroad) for there 10th anniversary.
Here're some photos of my train running on the little 200 feet loop with trestle, run around track and many nice photo locations.

There were 3 live steamer in action and later the motive power was switched to 3 battery locos for the kids. We had a very nice day.
This privat layout was so nice, I need my own one some day. So sad that my actual property is to small for such a railroad line...

Attached Files Image(s)

Two more photos...

Cheers, Gerd

Attached Files Image(s)

WOW!!! Nice photos!!!!

Yeah - it looks like you had a great time. Smile Smile I too, wish I had enough room for these.. or at least room for G scale outdoors.... Smile
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Hi,

meanwhile I made a short video of the day at the hedgehog railroad and another video of the last operation day at our club layout last weekend.

Hedgehog-Railroad 15-08-2012
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLI9FEA5tQw&feature=g-upl">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLI9FEA5 ... ture=g-upl</a><!-- m -->

Rhein-Main steam club 25-08-2012
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn5B66_6R4s&feature=g-upl">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn5B66_6 ... ture=g-upl</a><!-- m -->

Cheers, Gerd
Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
Thanks for posting the videos... They are great!!
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

Hello!

Well, the Shay is mostly done now, but there are still a lot of open tasks for the indoor live steam event in January.
First I start to rebuild the water car aka driving car for my steam locomotives. While the water tank on the Shay is located higher than on the Forney, I had to rise the tank on the water tank to get the bottom level the same. Now I can use the riding car behind both steam locomotives.

I decided to add some more details during the rebuild and added braces to the wooden water tank. This braces are also used to raise the plastic inside tank by 20mm. I added a 3-point-truck mount to the car to negotiate raw track. Meanwhile, the car is painted and tested in first service. This week I'll add lettering, brake wheel, drain valve and some other details to get the car finished.

Here are some photos of the rebuild. The water tank is now painted in box car brown.

[Image: tender_1.jpg]

[Image: tender_6.jpg]

Next I'll reletter a bunch of freight cars before I get started the the next small project - track bumpers.

Bye, Gerd
Hello guys,

to fix some issues and to spend major maintainance work, I took the Forney into the workshop and disassembled the whole engine down to the frame.
I found some more things that need repair and I guess it'll take two weeks to get her back in service with some improvments and all the issues fixed. Here're a couple of photos from Saturday. On Sunday, I steamed up the Shay for a test run on burning wood. Works fine, but the tears are running well by all the smoke...

Cheers, Gerd

Attached Files Image(s)

Hello,

meanwhile, the loco is back in service as a normal Forney without the steam winch. My plan is to build a small donkey engine with vertical boiler from the winch parts. I set up the new saftey vavles 1 week ago and did some test runs in the backyard. I hope you like the "new" Forney.

Next I'll rework some of my cars. So stay tuned for the next newsletter.

Cheers, Gerd

Attached Files Image(s)

Looks Great!! I can't wait to see the steam donkey! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

Hello folks,

the shop crew of the Bear Creek Railroad is back at work and started some maintainance and enhancement on the Shay locomotive.
The engine arrived in the shops on Tuesday and the crew starts directly with the maintainance part. Some parts of the reverse gear where loose and I had to fix them. I also cleaned the water tank and hand pump. Some more thinks will be done within the next couple of days.

One of the new enhancements is the steam winch. During the rebuild of my Forney, I removed the steam winch from that loco and stored her in a box. Now I made a new support from wood and flatbar. The steam engine is installed on top of this support, so I can easily remove the winch from the Shay. By this way I can ran the Shay with or without the steam winch.

Here're a couple of photos from the process so far. I look forward to spend some more hours this evening. I look forward to have the loco back in service and out of the shops in 1-2 weeks. The railroad employees suggested that a second coach or combine is needed to handle the increased number of passengers on the railroad. So the railroads president placed an order for a new combine to the shop crew. The car will be build once the Shay is out of the shops.

Cheers, Gerd

Attached Files Image(s)

Hello,

the Bear Creek crew is working on a new combine for their passenger service.
The car is mostly build the same way as the old coach. I used this carshop job to spend new plattforms to the old coach with US typical stairs and brake wheel.

I started the new car with the trucks, build from plywood. I used templates to cut the parts. The wheelsets are bought RTR and has ball bearings for a smooth run.

The car body is made from plywood two and I nailed a lot of stripes on it to design the side walls and doors. The carbody was then painted green with white lettering, airbrushed with stencils.

Yesterday I got the new plattforms done with couplers and brake wheels. As mentioned above, I've made 4 new plattforms and replaced the old ones on the coach.

Next I'll make the roofs. The coach will get a new one too since the roof is broken due to a free flying disconnect Confusedhock:

Cheers, Gerd

Attached Files Image(s)

WoW..!! You get to ride your trains...!!! Doesn't get better than that!! Thumbsup

Hmmm... I do have a backyard the size of Maine.... Goldth
Gus (LC&P).
Here're a couple photos from yesterday. I went to our club layout for the end-of-season steam up and run my new passenger train behind the Forney loco.
The weather was stormy with some rain drops. At one lap, I had to set in my foot brakes to get the train stopped as a tree limb was fallen down to the rails...

Gerd

Attached Files Image(s)

Great hobby! Live steam model railroading and model train riding!
Wish you good new ideas for winter season!
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.