G'day y'all
Hi guys my names Si & I'm hailing from just out side Manchester in the uk.

I joined as this seems a nice forum catering for American modelling. After modelling the steam era of the uk for many years I decided I wanted to build a American layout & try my hand at something completely different to what I am used to.

I've spent many hours on various railroad websites viewing the different roads & company's the US has to offer & I've chosen the Guilford System to start with. My plan is to collect the Guilford System, Boston & Maine, Bangor & Aroostook & the Maine Central railroads. The idea for this was that all the railroads had a collection of vintage locomotives which I find very interesting.

Over the winter months the modeller in me arises & I start putting something together so with the little time I have I hope to put a switching layout together based on one of Lance Mindheim's designs. I've found his books very easy reading & helpful in getting to grips with how US prototypes operate.

Hopefully soon I can start work on something & get the boards together. At the moment I'm busy collecting locos & rolling stock for this next project.

That's all for now folks

Si Wink
Welcome to Big Blue (aka:the-gauge), glad you found us. Keep us posted on your progress, we all love pictures, so fire away. Got any questions? There's a bunch of friendly folks here eager to answer them.

In the meantime, just hand around and chat, we love to do that as well... Thumbsup
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Guilford System Wrote:Hi guys my names Si & I'm hailing from just out side Manchester in the uk.

I joined as this seems a nice forum catering for American modelling. After modelling the steam era of the uk for many years I decided I wanted to build a American layout & try my hand at something completely different to what I am used to.

I've spent many hours on various railroad websites viewing the different roads & company's the US has to offer & I've chosen the Guilford System to start with. My plan is to collect the Guilford System, Boston & Maine, Bangor & Aroostook & the Maine Central railroads. The idea for this was that all the railroads had a collection of vintage locomotives which I find very interesting. Si Wink

Welcome Welcome
" Bangor & Aroostook "- - took a fan trip on the Belfast & Moosehead Lake, that stopped in at the BAR car barn, in 1966.
That was the BAR's 75 anniversary. The scenery on my modules, is heavily influenced by the North East U.S. coast. Two tours of duty at the Naval Air Station in Brunswick, Me. gave me lots of time to enjoy the area.
Looking forward to watching your "American Layout Build". Hope you find Big Blue, a comfortable place for a daily visit.
Pete
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Welcome Welcome
15 year veteran fire fighter
Collector of Apple //e's

Beatus homo qui invenit sapientiam
Welcome Welcome Aboard!! Welcome

As you can see, there are many of us that have the same interests that you have.. Smile
Look around and ask any questions you need help with. Big Grin Big Grin
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Thanks guys Big Grin

I'm just about to start a post on structures & industrys for the area I'm planning on modelling.

Si
Welcome!

Manchester is a beautiful city...I always liked visiting there. Cheers
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Glad you could join us Si! Thumbsup
Ralph
welcome aboard Si
Tom

Model Conrail