Combining industries question?
I am trying to decide which industries to include on my new layout, the first is a packaging factory that produces cardboard packaging, box cars of card stock and covered hoppers of corn starch (for glue) in and box cars of waste card out.

The layout is only very small so the industries will be right on top of each other.

I would quite like to include a feed mill to make use of the covered hoppers I own, but would you find feed mill next to a factory?

The last industry is team track to either unload lumber or load pulp wood depending on how I feel.
Jhock,

What about a ceral company? I seem to recall and article about a Kellogg plant that recieved materials for making ceral such as oats, flour, corn syrup etc. and also recieved materials for making the boxes. all in railcars They then would ship out the boxed ceral in boxcars.

Just a thought.
Be Wise Beware Be Safe
"Mountain Goat" Greg

https://www.facebook.com/mountaingoatgreg/
Some of this comes down to the period you're modeling. Here's a potato chip factory near Bakersfield, CA that uses tank cars for corn syrup and covered hoppers for flour:             Here's a modernb feed mill:     Modern-era industries like this are very large. You've got a real challenge to incorporate something like this in the modern era on a small layout.
I've posted these answers on other threads, so please be patient:

I love the Kendallville Terminal Railroad because it is a one industry railroad operation. It serves a marshmallow factory for Kraft Foods on 1.1 miles of track and takes no more than a dozen cars per day. What would be your ideas for a one industry layout that takes less than a dozen cars per day.

I figured that for a marshmallow plant, the following traffic pattern would occur every day:

Inbound 3-4 corn syrup tank cars, 1-2 covered hoppers of granulated sugar, 1-2 boxcars of packaging, and even hoppers to bring in coal to supply heat for the marshmallow manufacturing (and maybe to toast them later).

Outbound - 1-2 boxcars of marshmallows

-OR-

I have 4 industries that come to mind if I were to build a bigger layout. I would have a food processing plant, a manufacturing company, a building supply, and an LPG distributor. This would handle traffic of 3-6 cars a day. A team track could also be used as an everything goes there industry.

The food processor would have the following traffic:
Inbound:
tank cars (vegetable oil, corn syrup, preservatives)
refrigerated cars (produce, meat)
covered hoppers (sugar, salt, preservatives)
box cars (packaging)
Outbound:
RBL box cars (food)

The manufacturing company would have the following traffic:
Inbound:
coil cars (sheet metal)
box cars (hardware, tools, parts)
flat cars (machinery, wire spools, piping)
gondolas (wire spools, piping)
tank cars (lubricant, glue, sealant, paint)
plastic pellet covered hoppers (plastic pellets)
Outbound:
box cars (manufactured products)
gondolas (scrap)

The building supply would have the following traffic:
Inbound:
covered hoppers (sand, cement)
hoppers (gravel, wood chips, oyster & clam shells)
flat cars & box cars (various building products)

The LPG distributor would have the following traffic:
Inbound:
LPG tank cars
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
but would you find feed mill next to a factory?
-----------------------------------------
Sure..As a newer industry that was built after the factory maybe the new mill was built on a razed factory site.This would be nothing new.

However.

Why a feed mill?

Let's think outside the box. Wink

How about a dry pet food plant? All you would need is a storage silo for the inbound grains and a storage tank for corn starch or syrup.

How about a Pillsbury or Duncan Hines batching plant? Flour and sugar could arrived by covered hopper.Make a raid on your wife's cake mix box to see what else could arrived by rail. Wink

How about a major bakery like Nabisco or Keebler?
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!