Stamp Mill question....
I've been modeling HO scale since 1950, and suddenly I just got a wild hair to try narrow gauge, so if anyone could share a little Stamp Mill information & history, I'd really appreciate it.

I'm building a new HOn3 layout, and I'm presently working on a Stamp Mill kit that I plan to have as my pike's center piece. I haven't established my modeling era yet and I thought I better see if I can find out when Stamp Mills were operational in Rio Grande territory. (I should have thought of that before now, I'm afraid...) Once I get the mill structure finished and in place on the mountain side, I'll resume work on the layout. (I have been able to find evidence of such operations up to 1920's... but was hoping for the 1930's if possible. Of course I'll go with the timeline facts, whatever they are.)

Bob
Mines had to pay to ship ore for processing and refinement, so they built their own stamp mills on site, and their own refineries as soon as possible. So the answer to your time question is that they were built when the mines were built.
Whiffle tables:
[Image: Bodie_Stamp_Mill.jpg]

Stamp Mill - Lost Horse Mine
[Image: StampMill.jpg]

[Image: O20scale20stamp20mill2001_jpg.jpg]
Awesome mill !
Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string